Computer Help forum

General discussion

Kent German, cell phone editor Live!

Ask the Editors Live! iPhone live chat event with CNET senior editor Kent German starts Thursday July 5th at 11 a.m. to noon PT / 2 p.m to 3 p.m ET. Where Kent, will be answering your on the hot, new iPhone and give you his first impressions of it.

Stay tune and don't miss out!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Kent German, cell phone editor Live!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Kent German, cell phone editor Live!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Welcome to my live chat

In reply to: Kent German, cell phone editor Live!

Hello and welcome to the iPhone chat. I'm here to answer your iPhone and cell phone questions. So fire away!

Collapse -
iPhone Now?

Kent, let me say that all your coverage was awesome. I have one year left on my Verizon contract. Should I wait, or get the iPhone now? If now, what are the cancellation fees for switching.Thanks

Collapse -
I'd wait

In reply to: iPhone Now?

Unless you really, really want it I would wait until your Verizon contract is up. if you cancel now, you'll pay a fee ($100 or more). Also, in a year we should see an iPhone with more features. Or at least i hope so!

Collapse -
other carriers?

Any idea on the time table for the iPhone to be available on the SPRINT network?

Collapse -
No idea

In reply to: other carriers?

AT&T is supposed to have the iPhone for a couple of years at least (though we don't know for sure). And Apple would have to make a CDMA verion for Sprint. I think it's unlikely, at least for a while.

Collapse -
Flight Mode?

While the iPhone may be a great combenation of phone and music player, can you "seperate" the two features for use on an air plane? My phone (LG vx 9900) uses a "standalone mode" or flight mode for this.

Collapse -
yes, it does

In reply to: Flight Mode?

The iPhone does have an airplane mode for the iPod player.

Collapse -
Email management

My experience with the phone is that the email client does not remove email from your server when you delete it on the phone. I've seen some other posts about it too. Is this true? Could Apple have made the choice not to let people manage their mail from their phone like that?

Collapse -
I've seen this too

In reply to: Email management

This seems to be the ase, though we're testing to see if it's true in all instances. I'm not sure why Apple would have made this decision, if they did.

Collapse -
How about the heat?

Does the iPhone heat up a lot like most other cell phones?

Collapse -
Not that I've noticed

In reply to: How about the heat?

I haven't noticed this yet. But we're still testing extended talk time. I'll add it to the review if the iPhone does heat up.

Collapse -
I-phone

Is it really that great. There are quite a few phones that can beat the i-phone overall. Cell phones rated on this site have higher ratings then it.

Collapse -
latin america?

Is there any plans for apple to launch the phone on latin america in the near future?

Collapse -
Don't know off hand

In reply to: latin america?

I'm sure the iPhone will get to latin America at some point. Europe and Asia are supposed to first though. Apple won't confirm anything right now.

Collapse -
iPhone 2.0

Hi Kent,
Have you heard of any concrete or possible release to the iPhone 2.0? and do you think it will support other carriers other than ATT? Thanks!

Collapse -
No word yet

In reply to: iPhone 2.0

Rumors on the iPhone 2.0 range from this fall to next year. We won't know anything for sure unless we hear it form Steve Jobs' mouth. Wish I could tell you more!

Collapse -
Battery Issues

Though I had left it charging (via wall and computer) for in excess of eight hours, my iPhone never said it was fully charged. I took it in to the Apple store yesterday and they swapped it out for a new one. Today, while recounting my story, I ran into two other people who are having the same problem --- so here's the question ... is there a battery-recall issue brewing for Apple?

Collapse -
Nothing official

In reply to: Battery Issues

A few people on Apple forums are reporting battery issues and that Apple has made exchanges. I checked with Apple tech support and called a few stores. They said there was no official exchange program as of yet and they didn't issue an official battery problem. I'm keeping tabs on it though as our battery can charge fully.

Collapse -
Other Carriers Already In Phone

A few tidbits coming out iPhone hacking/modification efforts. The full file listing for the iPhone has been found, and a few interesting tidbits can be gleaned from the files:

Besides AT&T and Cingular, there are logo images for T-Mobile and Vodafone in the iPhone's file system.

Default_CARRIER_ATT.png
Default_CARRIER_CINGULAR.png
Default_CARRIER_TMOBILE.png
Default_CARRIER_VODAFONE.png

Both Vodafone and T-Mobile are heavily rumored to be Apple's mobile partners in Europe/Germany. No other carrier's images are included.

What do you think? Other carriers? Other countries?

Collapse -
Battery Life?

Have you tested the charge time on the battery? Is is close to the time Apple says?

Collapse -
Not yet

In reply to: Battery Life?

We haven't conducted that specific test yet. But we'll do so in the next couple days.

Collapse -
Do you think Apple will add Flash or Yahoo Messenger to iphone?

I heard Walt Mossberg predict that Apple would be adding Adobe Flash to the iphone in a software update through itunes within 60 days. But when i talked to a sales rep in the Apple store here in SF, he told me that Apple purposly kept Flash out of the iphone because it uses the phones processor too much and making battery life go down much faster. I also would like to know if Apple will at Yahoo Messenger to iphone. What is your opinion?

Collapse -
Flash and Yahoo

In reply to: Do you think Apple will add Flash or Yahoo Messenger to iphone?

I bet that these will be added to the iPhone soon. The omission of Flash is especially noteworthy. I don't know what the exact issues were with not adding them.

Collapse -
Ringtones

Can you assign songs in the ipod to be your ringtones for incoming calls or ringback tones?

Collapse -
Unfortunately, no

In reply to: Ringtones

No, you can't use MP3 tracks in the Ipod player as ring tones. That's really disappointing as we were hoping to see that feature.

Collapse -
Thickness

I heard On cnettv that it was thinner than the original razr, is that open or closed? And is the original the same size as the v3m?

Collapse -
Just barely

In reply to: Thickness

The iPhone is just barely thinner than the razr when the Razr is closed.

Collapse -
iMouse?

Do you think Apple will start integrating iPhone technologies into other products. For example:

http://www.macrumors.com/

Hrmpf notes that Apple has applied for a patent (in March 2006) which extends the concept of Multitouch to a computer mouse.

The user would be able to perform gestures such as pinching or a virtual scroll wheel on the surface of the mouse. In one embodiment, the touch-sensitive mouse would use an internal light source and a optically transmissive surface to track finger positions.

Gestures can also be used to invoke and manipulate virtual control interfaces, such as volume knobs, switches, sliders, handles, knobs, doors, and other widgets that may be created to facilitate human interaction with the computing system.

Combinations of taps or gestures could trigger different actions such as "tapping with the middle and ring fingers could open iTunes or be set in the preference panel to do any particular action."

Apple has had a number of patent applications related to multitouch technology in the past, and features multitouch technology prominently on the Apple iPhone.

Collapse -
Using iPhone's Wi-Fi Capabilities at SF Giants' AT&T Park

Just wanted to let you know that the folks at AT&T Park are working on permitting the use of their free Wi-Fr service by Apple iPhone users. I tried using it during the last SF Giants homestand and couldn't because their "Terms of Use" webpage used Adobe Flash (which the iPhone couldn't do). They claim that it should work before the All-Star week.

Collapse -
GSM iPhone

While I'm as burnt out on iPhone news as the next guy, I thought this was interesting.

BBC wrote today that O2, a UK Carrier, has won the contract to distribute GSM iPhones in Britian. The company says they "should have the new phones on sale in time for Christmas" and will likely carry a 300 pound (US$604.98) sticker price

source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6272226.stm

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.