Computer Help forum

General discussion

Keeps getting adware, don't know if this is an update

by Rowena100 / January 25, 2006 4:42 AM PST

Hi. Will somebody help me please????(New member. First time here.) I keep getting these adware everytime I ran my anti-spy. I have Windows XP as my OS. I don't know if I am being hacked or this is part of an update on my bundle program. These are the foll. items found:
1) Name: Media Access
Type: File
Object location: C:\Windows\downloadedprogramfiles\mediagatewayx...

2) Name: WindUpdates.MediaGateway
Type: hkey_classes_root\mediagatewayx.installer
Type: hkey_localmachine\software\microsoft\windows\current

Thank you,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Keeps getting adware, don't know if this is an update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Keeps getting adware, don't know if this is an update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Rowena, Something To Try...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 25, 2006 5:56 AM PST

Yep, That's spyware all right. You really didn't tell us which antispyware tool you are using, but please download, install, and update ALL of the free spyware removal tools from the links below:

Collapse -
Re: Something to try
by Rowena100 / January 25, 2006 6:32 AM PST

Grif, my security protection is from Verizon On-line Protection Package by Computer Associates. My firewall is from Windows. WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?Thanks in advance for replying.

Collapse -
Rowena, Follow The Procedures I Suggested
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 25, 2006 7:13 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Something to try

After downloading and installing the other tools I suggested, restart into Safe Mode using the instructions in the link below, then run a full system scan with them ALL.:

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Collapse -
Reply to Grif
by Rowena100 / January 25, 2006 7:19 AM PST

Grif, I'm new to the computer world and I am so confused! I don't know what to do... Should I uninstall my Verizon security on-line proctection first before I download, install the spyware removal tools that you mentioned in your reply to me?

Collapse -
by tomron / January 25, 2006 7:43 AM PST
In reply to: Reply to Grif

probally not,but maybe temporally disable as to avoid possible conflict.

Wait to see what Grif says,he knows alot about computers

Collapse -
Re: Grif's reply "try something new"
by Rowena100 / January 25, 2006 8:19 AM PST
In reply to: Rowen

Grif, before I follow your instructions for me to download and install the free spyware removal tools that you mentioned, I would like to know if I should uninstall my Verizon security on-line proctection first before I proceed with your instructions to me.

Second, when I ran my anti-spy, I removed the adwares that I mentioned to you. Does it mean I am spy-ware free? Or should I still follow what you suggested me to do? I don't mean to be a pain, I just don't know what to do!!

Thanks again,

Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 25, 2006 8:29 AM PST

You "might" be spyware free because your current antispy program removed the problem files...But at this point, I've now suggested three times what you should do. You can choose to that or not. It's up to you.. Download and install the other programs I suggested, then run them, preferably in Safe Mode.

There's a reason for this...Each antispyware tool tends to find something different..It's important to scan the computer with a number of different spyware and trojan removal tools to ferret out all the various types of malware..I think you'll be surprised at what the other tools actually find.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Collapse -
Adware /spyware problem
by Rowena100 / January 25, 2006 1:37 PM PST
In reply to: Rowena....

Hi.I'm back again.. I would like to thank everybody, most especially to Grif. Grif, I did everything that you told me to do. Just to let you know, a total of 475 objects were found and removed. Thank you again for all your help. Sorry for being a pain - I'm new to this computer stuff.
Those download sites that you recommended to me were great!
One more question, does it mean that I am now adware/spyware free?

Long live Grif!!

Collapse -
Rowena, Scan Regularly
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 26, 2006 12:23 AM PST

Spyware/Adware will constantly try to gain a foothold. At least on a weekly basis, update ALL of those antispyware tools and run full system scans just to make sure things are good..You'll notice that spyware cookies and such are a fairly common detection.

IN fact, since you found so many items on your first round of scans, I would do it again NOW..Run them repeatedly in "normal" Windows and "Safe Mode" Windows till nothing further is detected.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Rowena, No Need To Uninstall Anything...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 25, 2006 8:18 AM PST
In reply to: Reply to Grif

The Computer Associates programs from Verizon should be fine just like they are.

Simply follow the instructions I posted. Download those four free programs and install them. (One, the CWShredder program doesn't actually install. YOu just run it.) After installing the other three, then open them up and use their "Update" links within the program. Once they're updated, then restart the computer into "Safe Mode" per the link I provided earlier and run full scans with those tools.

Delete all spyware that the tools find.

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?