HolidayBuyer's Guide

Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Keeping songs on Zune but removing them from computer

by Ms.Gadgettes / March 13, 2008 3:19 PM PDT

Hi,

I'm wanting to backup all of my music on my computer and then delete it off of my hard drive. I have an 80gb Zune, will this remove it from the Zune the next time I sync?

When I first got my Zune I was playing around with it and had deleted some songs, but then next time I charged my batter and did a sync, they were gone, but now I don't remember exactly where I removed them from.

I'm just basically wanting to clear up space on my hard drive. I know I can go into the Zune software and the play the songs on their own, so I am assuming they are also taking up space on my computer. So can those be deleted out of the Zune software and note be deleted from the Zune?

Hopefully this makes sense!

Thanks!

(PS, I had already posted this, but when I went in to check for replies it was in the wrong category. I could'a swore I chose MP3, but guess I didn't!)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Keeping songs on Zune but removing them from computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Keeping songs on Zune but removing them from computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
They will go from the Zune, if
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 15, 2008 12:17 AM PDT

the ZUNE and its software operate in the same way as the ipod and iTunes, removing the tracks from the computer will remove them from the ZUNE at the next sync.

Of course, it should be possible to set the preferences for the ZUNE software to NOT automatically sync when connected.
If you can do that, you will be able to use the computer as a charging station only.

Remember though, the next time you want to add a track to the ZUNE, all the tracks that are NOT on the computer, will disappear from the ZUNE

Oh, and Yes, the tracks on your ZUNE are also taking up space on your computer.

P

Collapse -
Possible solution
by LunarFlame17 / March 15, 2008 11:23 AM PDT

I haven't actually tried this, so I'm not 100% certain that it will work, but if you go to your device settings on the Zune software and choose to connect your Zune as a guest, the software should keep your computer's library and your Zune's library separate. Test it out on a song or two first though, in case I'm wrong and you lose your whole music library or something tragic like that.

Collapse -
Zune Software
by SLSLR / March 17, 2008 2:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Possible solution

I was a dedicated Zune user until the last software update where they took this feature off - if you delete music off your h/d or even out of a monitored folder it will delete off the player at your next sync. It was this that turned me back to iPods. It was an essential feture as far as i was concerned and it's more than an inconvenience that they took it off.

Collapse -
Here's how you do it.
by nelsonj3 / March 19, 2008 9:31 AM PDT

This is what I did. I confirmed that deleting a song out of the Zune library on the computer really did delete it off the Zune. I then just deleted a file off the computer through Windows Explorer and not out of the Zune library then I went to the software and tried to play the song. I got at error message that the file could not be found, so Zune knew the file wasn't there. I synced but it did not delete the song off my Zune. I don't know if this will work in the long term, but I would imagine it would. I have a Zune 8GB and have it set to not automatically update the songs at sync.

I will try again in a few days to make sure that it stays permanent. Let me know if you have trouble finding the file to delete in Windows Explorer.

I wouldn't delete the song files, though. MP3 players are only designed to work for two or three years, and once they are dead you may loose your music. Many things can happen including the battery no longer holding a charge (in which case you won't loose your music) to the hard drive crashing (music gone) to the processor dying (music gone). It is always a good idea to keep a back up of the music somewhere. An external hard drive is a good place to keep it. You can get them as low as 60 dollars with more space than your Zune has, perfect for backing up a music collection. While you are at it, you might as well back up all of your important documents too, just in case something happens to your computer.

Collapse -
Thanks all
by Ms.Gadgettes / March 19, 2008 2:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Here's how you do it.

I will have to play around with this and see what happens.

Re: Here's how you do it:

Wow, I can't believe MP3 players are only designed to work for a few years. I have been waiting to get an MP3 player for a long time and I'm pretty dissapointed to hear this. I don't listen to music that much, so this really makes my Zune a luxury. I was thinking it would last a long time like my other gadgets. I may upgrade things over the years, but I still tend to keep things for much longer.

As far as keeping a backup, I've already done that, but now was wanting get it off of my hard drive if I can. I do backups on my computers all the time, so that isn't a concern. I just was hoping that there was a way not to get it to delete off of my Zune. Seems kind of odd they wouldn't allow this, I'm assuming it a way to prevent people from stealing music.

Thanks again for all the help!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.