1. The article [Q307116] states that you can set the view setting of all the folders on a computer to match the view setting of the current (selected) folder by clicking Folder Options on the Tools menu in Windows Explorer and then clicking Like Current Folder on the View tab. However, if a folder other than the current folder is also open, Windows may not apply the view setting of the current folder to the other open folder(s).
2. In addition, read the article "TweakXP" concerning Windows remembering the view settings for the 400 most recently used folders, afterwards XP will begin overwriting the data of the oldest folder, and its view setting will be lost, and the preferred method for fixing the anomaly. Read both the articles [Q812003] and [Q813711].
3. The following is my last recommendation otherwise and may not work either. Click View, Folder Options, click all three of the buttons Reset All Folders, Like Current Folder, and Restore Defaults -- afterwards, reapply any settings wanted/needed in the advanced section, but be sure that a checkmark is placed in the item labeled, "Remember each folder's view settings". Subsequently reapply steps explained in #1 above as necessary.
My very recent upgrade from Win ME to XP-SP 1 home edition went, in general, quite well. There are, however, two annoyances that I have been unable to resolve and would very much appreciate help with.
1) XP loses its memory for my folder settings in Windows Explorer, automatically returning to icons view with each reboot, even though I prefer details. I have tried using Tools, and that failing, editing the registry as suggested in a PC Magazine article from January 2004 (delete BagMRU and Bags then add BagMRU Size in two Registry keys), but with no luck. Any other suggestions?
2) XP also loses its memory (goes mindless?) with Quick Launch on each reboot. I've tried using the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties, I've locked (and unlocked) the Taskbar, I've tried every combination of checkmark on this property menu - with no luck. With each reboot, Quick Launch is gone. When I bring it back, the order of the icons has changed from what I prefer. What else can I do?
All help is appreciated!