Computer Help forum

General discussion

Keep settings

by sjtewks / November 28, 2009 11:34 PM PST

How does one download program updates without the update changing toolbars/settings/configurations? I updated AVG, and it changed my toolbar, removed toolbar icons, and installed its own setttings. I managed to figure out how to get it back to where I wanted it. I updated Advanced System Care, and it changed my toolbar, removed my most used icons, and I can't get it back to where I want it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Keep settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Keep settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I just installed AVG and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2009 11:40 PM PST
In reply to: Keep settings

Watched carefully for options on toolbars and opted out. What happened to you did not happen here. I wonder if most just click OK?

Collapse -
Not the problem
by sjtewks / November 29, 2009 4:25 AM PST

I watched those carefully. I restored the correct toolbar by re-downloading it, but when I close the browser and re-open, it's gone again.

Collapse -
That's a clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2009 4:32 AM PST
In reply to: Not the problem

Sorry I missed that. I ran into the similar issue on Vista and 7. I had to launch the browser differently. I had to right click on it and "Run as Administrator" for the changes to stick.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Collapse -
How
by sjtewks / November 29, 2009 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: That's a clue.

Would I alter how I sign on? I am running XP and Windows 8 and I sign on as HPUser(admin) ?

Collapse -
I think you meant IE 8.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2009 4:59 AM PST
In reply to: How
Collapse -
I meant
by sjtewks / November 29, 2009 5:14 AM PST

to write IE 8. Sorry. I did set up another user and tried that, but same problem.

Collapse -
IE 8.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2009 10:21 AM PST
In reply to: I meant

Remember that I don't use IE 8 except for one thing. Windows Update.

I can't afford the lost time with IE 8 so I don't use it. But there are security options in IE 8, Norton, Teatimer and what else people install that could cause this issue. I know it's tough but you have to reveal more. I can't guess what you have for security. However a hijackthis log does a good job of revealing such.

Of course, open up the IE 8 controls and set them all to "defaults" then try again.
Bob

Collapse -
Toolbar settings are account specific.
by Kees Bakker / November 29, 2009 5:04 AM PST
In reply to: Keep settings

What happens if you make a new account now and logon to that. Everything fine? Then continue using that (after transferring whatever you need to transfer).

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!