Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Keep mouse pointer in screenshot

by jas0nhe / August 2, 2005 4:27 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Keep mouse pointer in screenshot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Keep mouse pointer in screenshot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sure, but it requires a snapshot type of program
by ChuckT / August 2, 2005 6:00 PM PDT

Look for a snapshot type of program that has the ability to include the mouse cursor in the capture.

There are many that have that option, and IrfanView is one of them.

Collapse -
Chuck, you're a genius!
by jonah jones / August 2, 2005 7:11 PM PDT

i took this screen shot with irfanview, and then cursed when the cursor didn't show Sadcurrent posts

Collapse -
Is that sarcasm?
by ChuckT / August 3, 2005 6:56 AM PDT

Not sure how to take your message.
You give a compliment (?) ("Chuck, you're a genius!"), which I would emphatically deny, then you mention that I tip I gave didn't work.

I tried the link you gave for "current posts" and it fails, so I can't see what it is you posted elsewhere.

But, I will assume that you were not aware of the "Include mouse cursor" selection in the Capture options. It is there.

Don't worry if I misconstrued your intent, if your intent was to let me know I informed you of an ability of IrfanView that you were not aware of, I take no offense.

Collapse -
Perhaps you are not aware of the IrfanView Capture function
by ChuckT / August 4, 2005 4:52 AM PDT

I am still trying to rationalize what you meant, and you haven't responded, so I am left with trying to figure out your meaning.

So, last night I came across this thought...
Perhaps you think using IrfanView as an opened window where you then just paste in your screenshots is going to capture your mouse cursor. Well, as you found out, that doesn't work.

What I meant is that there is a screen Capture (just press the "C" key, or select the command Options>Capture). At that time you will see the Capture Setup window.

In the Capture setup window you make your settings to "Include mouse cursor." In that same window you also select the destination folder, or just have the capture area automatically placed in the viewer window. Also, if you decide to go with the save as a file, you can specify what directory to place the captures and what format to use. Then click the [Start] button. The IrfanView window will minimize, so it looks like it closed - but it hasn't. It is running and waiting for your hotkey press.

I use the Capture quite often while I test software where I work. It is an easy and fast method to grab images off the screen as fast as I push a key. I could even set it as an automatic timer.

IrfanView is a really great tool.

I sure hope that straightens it out, if you were having some misunderstanding about capturing the mouse cursor.

Collapse -
saved my day!

i was about to junk Irfanview for this task because i could'nt seem to capture the mouse icon on a mouseover bug that i wanted to report to our web designer.

I usually just hit PrtScrn and paste/Ctrl-V, on Irfan.

Then I googled and found this tip.

By the way, you also have to press Ctrl-F11 to actually prompt Irfanview to take the snapshot. (unless you opted for the time delay).

Thanks for this Chuck.

Collapse -
Did Not Register
by phantazy / August 2, 2005 8:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Also

Cnet didn't see fit to showing the URL, but you can google it.

Collapse -
for the googless amongst us ;-)
by jonah jones / August 2, 2005 10:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Also
Collapse -
MW Snap??
by saumhaus / August 3, 2005 8:23 AM PDT

Trying to capture a window, copy and paste into a post window here at XP forum, cant figure it out, I have copied the window but cannot paste, tried pasting to clipboard, notepad and then coping and pasting, no luck, how do you just copy and paste a captured window into a message using MW Swap? TIA

Collapse -
you can't post an image here
by ChuckT / August 3, 2005 1:49 PM PDT
In reply to: MW Snap??

The forums here do not support pasting attachments (files, documents, images, etc.) here. You might search for an open site that allows you to post attachments on them and then just enter the URL here for our retrieval.

(Actually you can post a base64 encoded dataset here (if you know what I mean), and those who have the tools can decode it back to a real file. It is cumbersome and a little messy, but it does work.
See my tests at: )

Collapse -
Keep mouse pointer in screenshot
by Snmyr / August 2, 2005 9:32 PM PDT

Try Screen Hunter it is a free program by Wisdon-Soft. It has an option to include mouse pointer.

Collapse -
by jas0nhe / August 2, 2005 11:06 PM PDT

Thanks, Sam, and everyone else for the tip. I'll try these programs and see what I can do with them.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?