Mac OS forum

Question

'keep in dock' and 'remove from dock' missing using Maverick

by miliynydd / August 14, 2014 6:38 PM PDT

This problem is driving me mad. I cannot add or remove apps from/to the dock. I have searched everywhere but cannot find an answer. Someone suggested 'Parental Controls' might be set but this Macbook doesn't have 'Parental Controls' applied.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Brian

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 'keep in dock' and 'remove from dock' missing using Maverick
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 'keep in dock' and 'remove from dock' missing using Maverick
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
What exactly happens when you try to add
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 14, 2014 9:32 PM PDT

an app to the dock.
Any movement of the existing icons?

P

Collapse -
'keep in dock' and 'remove from dock' missing using Maverick
by miliynydd / August 14, 2014 10:21 PM PDT

Nothing happens, there is no facility to add or remove an icon to or from the dock. When I right click all I have under options is: Open at Login and Show in Finder. This is for existing icons and ones I am trying to add or remove.

Collapse -
That's not the way to add/remove icons to/from the dock
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 15, 2014 5:57 AM PDT

To add icons to the dock, grab the app that you want there and drag it onto the dock.
All the icons will move out of the way to accommodate the new arrival.
Release the icon and you are done.

To remove icons from the dock, grab the icon you want to remove and drag it off onto the desktop.
It will disappear in a puff of smoke.

I do not recall ever seeing the option, "keep in dock" and "remove from dock" in all the years I have been using OS X .
Apple Support pages never mention it either.

P

Collapse -
Remove from Dock command
by centurion48 / August 15, 2014 11:52 AM PDT

If you right-click on a dock icon and look under Options you will see three options:
• Remove from Dock
• Open at Login
• Show in Finder

Collapse -
As I said,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 15, 2014 12:01 PM PDT

I do not recall ever seeing that option, until today.

thanks

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.