HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Keep getting update to SP4 msg

by Gretel38 / August 3, 2012 11:04 PM PDT

I keep getting a balloon popup in the lower right corner when I start Windows saying click to update. But when I try I get a message saying update to SP4 failed. I went to the Windoows site, but it was unclear about how to update and gave different links for 32-bit and 64-bit systems. How do I determine which I'm using? I have an HP Compaq microtower.

Thanks for any help you can render
realist2000@live.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Keep getting update to SP4 msg
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Keep getting update to SP4 msg
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: update to SP4
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 3, 2012 11:23 PM PDT

That's suspect. Looks like malware. The latest service pack level of XP is SP3. There is no SP4.

In Internet Explorer, go to Tools>Windows Update and let it scan your system to determine what updates you need. Then do it from there.
What happens?

Kees

Collapse -
by Gretel38 / August 3, 2012 11:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: update to SP4

Yes, it looked suspicious to me too. I just hope it didn't put malware into my system. I'll do a full scan with Windows Internet security.
BTW, I don't see an Updates choice under tools in IE8.

Gretel

Collapse -
Re: SP4
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 4, 2012 12:06 AM PDT
In reply to: reply
Collapse -
by Gretel38 / August 4, 2012 3:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: SP4

Thanks for the tips. The "update" option is missing and my email preference had been changed, but I don't see anything else that would suggest malware so far. A full scan with Windows Security anti-malware didn't find anything but I'll do a scan with that site you suggested anyway.

But all of this makes me wonder about those notices that I get from time to time that some program (like Adobe) has been updated and click to install the updates. I guess the only way to be sure they are genuine is to go to the site of the software developer directly.

Collapse -
Re: updates
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 4, 2012 4:04 AM PDT
In reply to: reply

I've never seen reason to NOT trust the automatic updates for Firefox (and add-ons), Adobe (Reader and Flash) and Java, as long as they follow the regular pattern.

But I've never seen Windows updates asking to be installed at boot. So that's an irregular pattern. That, combined with the non-existing SP4, makes me reluctant to accept it as real.

Kees

Collapse -
anti-malware
by Gretel38 / August 4, 2012 4:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: SP4
Collapse -
Re: Malwarebytes
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 4, 2012 4:52 AM PDT
In reply to: anti-malware

Yes. The free version is not real-time, but does only a full scan of your hard disk. That can be doen while Security Essentials is active.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.