Question

keep getting audio and script errors on laptop

I am using a Fujitsu laptop running XP Prof with 2 gb ram, dual processor and have totally cleaned up some adware and fake trojans with AVG, Malwarebytes, Super anti spyware, spybot and rkill. Everything seems fine now except every once in a while, I get an audio clip that sounds like a commercial on tv that only lasts a few seconds. I can't seem to find the source. I am also getting a bunch of script errors. I went to the advanced settings and disabled script debugging and notifications, but they still come in. What am I missing? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: keep getting audio and script errors on laptop
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: keep getting audio and script errors on laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
More Questions Than Answers..

geno..

Which browser are you using when the script errors occur? What (specifically) do the script errors say? Some differ.

I'm presuming from the settings you disabled, you're experiencing the errors when using Internet Explorer. If so, let us know which version of IE you have installed. Also have a look at what Microsoft has to offer:

How to troubleshoot script errors in Internet Explorer on Windows-based computers

Can you tell us anything more about the audio clip?

Give one more scanner a try.

ESET's Online Scanner - Their FAQ and Help sections should answer any questions you might have. Temporarily disable AVG, prior to running the scan.

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner

Carol

- Collapse -

Thanks for the reply. I am using IE8... the error is: Internet explorer script error, "expected J"...the url is: www.break.com/movie trailers, etc..it asks if I want to continue running scripts and I answer no. this is one of several different errors. Also, there is an abundance of re-directions in the browser.

- Collapse -
In addition to ..

It would help to know more about the "several different errors" you're getting. In the meantime, please try the following:

In addition to running a scan with ESET's Online Scanner, I would also recommend scanning with the following.

Hitman Pro 3.5 - It's free to use without a license. If a virus is found, you will receive a free 30-day license to remove the threat.

http://www.surfright.nl/en/downloads

Kaspersky's TDSSKiller - The instructions and download can be found here:
http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684

The malware you were infected with, may have changed your settings to use a proxy server. In order to check to see if that's the case:

Open IE and go to Tools>Internet Options>Connection Tab. Click on the LAN settings button. IF there is a check mark next to "Use a proxy server for your LAN", uncheck it. Click OK. Then OK, again.

Let us know how you make out..
Carol

- Collapse -
second reply

Thanks, again...I ran the eset and it found somw more infections. I again ran MWB, Spybot and avg...no problems. I will try the other products you suggested and report back.
On the script errors; what info do you need? each one has these: line, char, error, code, url

I am also intermittently getting audio in the background I cannot find and also in both IE and Firefox getting multiple re-directions.
also, proxy server was not checked

- Collapse -
Did you..

geno..

Did you try all that was suggested in the Microsoft "troubleshooting script errors" article? When the script errors occur, do they occur on certain web pages? Or randomly with many?

Someone posted with a problem yesterday, which "sparked a light" in my head. Could the audio you're hearing in the background be "Congratulations you won"? IF so (and I do mean "IF"), it might be indicative of a certain type of rootkit. Kaspersky's TDSSkiller detects rootkits, but might not detect the family of rootkit, I have in mind. That said, it's important you scan with it. Same with Hitman Pro.

Do you remember what the ESET Scanner found? Before we deal with the script errors, I think it's important we find out what's causing all the redirects.

Carol

CNET Forums