TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

KDF-E50A10 - Picture is stretched

Is there something that can be done with the screen proportions?
Our screen is squished and streched. All the people seem to have short legs and large heads in the wide screen. We did not have it installed by a technician.
We have comcast cable. Will the cable card help any of this or is it only for HD shows?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: KDF-E50A10 - Picture is stretched
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: KDF-E50A10 - Picture is stretched
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
KDF-E50A10 ??? what kind of TV, make???

In reply to: KDF-E50A10 - Picture is stretched

note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.
Does the picture fill the whole screen????
Can you change the picture mode?? John

Collapse -
KDF-E50A10 Sony 50" picture is stretched

In reply to: KDF-E50A10 ??? what kind of TV, make???

John,

I'm not sure what you mean by opeating system. We have comcast cable but as of yet have not subscribe for HD service.
The situation is when the tv is turned on the picture is being broadcast in the normal mode which has two black bars on both side giving us a 40" picture. In that mode the picture is clear, viewing is proportionate. When switching to the wide mode full screen, the picture becomes distorted as the screen stretches horizontally.
My complaint is I feel we purchased a 40" TV as the 50" (wide mode) is distorted.
Will an upgraded HD cable package or card inserted in set help this?
Ed

Collapse -
OK,, now I know what you are talking about!!!!

In reply to: KDF-E50A10 Sony 50" picture is stretched

Yes, that is a normal effect of watching a 4x3 picture in strech mode. Which is why I watch 4x3 in 4x3 mode.
When you get HD service and the program is native 16x9 mode it will look great. john

Collapse -
Talking about

In reply to: OK,, now I know what you are talking about!!!!

Just learned that my cable box, for HD, has different settings. No one told me about it at Charter. I can change the input signal from 480 to 720 to 1080. My tv will display 1080i. Anyway, changing to 720 gave me full screen with no stretch or squish on non-HD channels.

Tom

Collapse -
MAKE SURE YOU GET HIGH END MONSTER CABLES!!!!!

In reply to: Talking about

(just being a little sarcastic). now that you have your cable box outputting an hd signal. check to see if you have component cables (red/blue/green color) or hdmi (looks like a wider version of a usb) hooked up from the cable box to your tv.

if you're using component cables supplied by the cable company, id suggest you go out and buy a set of HDMI cables. your tv has 1 HDMI input for the best picture possible, and i'm assuming you're gonna watch regular tv more then anything else that supports hdmi.

do NOT get scammed or let salespeople talk you into $100 monster cables for hdmi. most places will have HDMI cables for a little less then $50(or even cheaper if u get it online). for that tv, it will be very sufficient. after that, put on Discovery HD and watch whatever they have on.......it will blow you away.

(also, if u have a progressive scan dvd player, make sure you get ahold of some component cables to hook it up to your tv. most likely you can use the red/blue/green cables that your cable company provided you for your hd cable box.)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.