Linux forum

General discussion

KDE vs. GNOME... Whats you fav...

by atiu4eva / February 26, 2006 7:24 PM PST

Hey everyone.

Who here like KDE and who here likes Gnome?
I am abeginner to LInux and was wondering what you thought about the two.

When you post here could you please explain why You like KDE/GNOME better?

Thanks,
Atiu4Eva / Andrew

--------------------------------------
"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith - The A-Team

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: KDE vs. GNOME... Whats you fav...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: KDE vs. GNOME... Whats you fav...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Opinions galore.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2006 9:11 PM PST
Collapse -
KDE also...
by Art / February 28, 2006 12:57 AM PST
In reply to: Opinions galore.

I got what I like. But you really should try them both and decide for youself.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I did.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2006 1:08 AM PST
In reply to: KDE also...
Collapse -
kde
by Ixthusdan / February 27, 2006 12:50 PM PST

If you like a windowish gui, kde.
If, on the other hand, you like the macish look, gnome.
Both are customizable and functionally similar.

Collapse -
Depends
by webterractive / February 28, 2006 8:46 AM PST

I find that KDE is nice looking while GNOME has better performance. That is my opinion while using Mandriva/Mandrake Family of Linux OS's.

Collapse -
I use both
by chuckieu / March 1, 2006 12:27 AM PST
In reply to: Depends

Love K3b and Kooka(scanner utility), as well as others
from KDE. But, my normal desktop is Gnome. As opposed to Windows, you are not as limited in what you can do. Using
Firefox in both (XP and Mandriva), I have tabbed browsing. But Linux lets me change to another (or 2, or 3) desktop and work on something without logging off, like I need to do in Windows. Hope this helps. chuck

Collapse -
KDE
by rwp_17 / March 2, 2006 11:55 AM PST
In reply to: I use both

i will use both but i kinda like kde

it must be because i was born and raised on windows

Collapse -
KDE vs Gnome
by chrisENJUNSc / March 2, 2006 11:53 PM PST

Hullo and thanks for the question which gives me a chance to say a little about GNU/Linux which is default opp/sys on this machine.

I use the Gnome desktop since it runs a little faster than KDE which is usefull on this 1 Gig Pentium 3.

Best Wishes Chris.
Using Ubuntu GNU/Linux which come with Gnome desktop.

Collapse -
Use...
by lilsim89 / March 3, 2006 4:13 PM PST

Whatever you find suitable. My choice is usualy KDE. It's much more robust, but sometimes sluggish. GNOME is superior when it comes to "ergonomics." It seems to calm your mood almost! KDE is more like a bright and sunny morning.

Although both are good choices either direction, I advise you not to install both(with the exception of development libs.) Programs like OpenOffice etc. will choose on desktop "theme" and stick with it no matter what desktop you use. Also, a repetitive mix of KDE and GNOME based applications are too myriad and confusing.

Collapse -
KDE for me
by emoryu21 / March 26, 2006 9:59 AM PST

Gnome is great but I find it too limiting. Perfect for new users and it is easier on resources, but I can do more with KDE.

Collapse -
KDE
by JLP / April 1, 2006 12:20 PM PST

I like KDE more. It looks nicer to me and has more settings which I can use to personalize the desktop. It also has more features I like and the apps made specifically for KDE are more to my liking.

But before you decide you should definitely try them both and then see which one you like the more. And even after you decide on one don't forget to check the other out to see how it improved.

Collapse -
KDE or Gnome?
by wogboi / April 3, 2006 12:41 PM PDT

Is it possible to swap between KDE and Gnome but restarting the computer or something?

Please reply as I am a beginner to the Linux world

Wogboi

Collapse -
Don't stop the computer
by Ixthusdan / April 3, 2006 11:14 PM PDT
In reply to: KDE or Gnome?

kde and gnome are desktops. One can simply logout and choose a different desktop. Generally, a desktop manager is installed to do this (gdm is gnome's version and kdm is kde's version) but x itself offers xdm which will come up by default with more than one desktop available. While I like kde, I prefer gdm for my desktop manager. I also have Enlightenment, fluxbox, and Windowmaker installed on my system. (play is fun)

Collapse -
KDE vs Gnome
by chrisENJUNSc / April 3, 2006 11:27 PM PDT

Thats an intersesting question and it would be good to see some posts in reply.

My tuppence worth is this.It is possible to install KDE applications on the Gnome desktop and vice versa ie Gnome apps on KDE and to run them.Providing you use your distibutions package management to install ''extra's'' then problems are very unlikely.Also with Linux you have at least 4 desktops and can switch between them.Just now ime running Mozilla Thunderbird and Firefox on this desktop while replying to you and have my home folder (kinda My Documents in Windows) open on desktop 2.As far as i know it should be possible to have a full KDE or Gnome desktop start from the same root directory (kinda 'C' drive in Windows) and would think you would only need to restart X (graphics user interface) with either KDE or Gnome.But exactly how you would go about doing that i am not sure.It would take extra disc space to have both.

My own preference is for Ubuntu GNU/Linux which runs the Gnome desktop and Gnome apps.Here Ubuntu is lightly customised from the package manager with;a firewall,an anti virus app,gnome-photo-printer,gdeskcal (a desktop calendar) and Mozilla Thunderbird for emailing.Those last two i only just prefer to the stock Ubuntu emailer and calendar which is Evolution.

I do end up slightly resenting the suggestion that Gnome is a bit to simple and best suited to 'newbies'.Bull,i find Ubuntu and Gnome easy and thats good.Also I dual boot; Ubuntu GNU/Linux with Zenwalk GNU/Linux,and practising goes on in Zenwalk,compiling customizing and so on.I also use Zenwalk for games eg Oolite.So for me Ubuntu for ease of use and Zenwalk for games and to learn more about GNU/Linux.

It is a prob in Linux ie we are spoiled for choice !!.I have a new distro in the post to me its called Wolvix and is around games also general desktop use.I beleive it uses another desktop ie XFCE which is same as in Zenwalk.

A sugestion i would make though is to have a go with GNU/Linux and to keep at it through the learning curve whatever your final choice of distibution and or desktop is.They are all great.Use the ditro's forums for any probs that do arise.I was amazed once i got through the learning curve,this machine is now used for what it is meant to be used for and not as a battle ground for;virus's,spyware,unwanted and unknown start ups and file cleaning and deffraging.I now use a computer for what i want and not in order to maintain the O/S.That was also a learning curve i had near forgotten what to do on this machine other than maintain it.

Best wishes Chris.

Collapse -
thank you very much chris
by wogboi / April 4, 2006 12:40 AM PDT
In reply to: KDE vs Gnome

thank you for replying to my message it really helped

wogboi

Collapse -
You are welcome.
by chrisENJUNSc / April 4, 2006 8:19 AM PDT

And my hope is you get to enjoy GNU/Linux as much as i do.

Best wishes Chris.

Collapse -
The applications are what matter
by 3rdalbum / April 15, 2006 2:57 PM PDT

I use Gnome, but that's just what my distro came with. I aim to try KDE later this month.

But I disagree with many of these posts. What really matters, at the moment, is not whether KDE or Gnome is better. What matters is whether you prefer Qt or Gnome-based programs.

If you want advanced CD-burning, then K3b (KDE-based) is your puppy. If you want lightweight yet modern web browsing, then Epiphany (Gnome) is more appropriate. However, if you're a media junkie, then AmoraK is going to be more your thing than Totem and Rhythmbox. Read some reviews, use some Live CDs, and make your decision based on whether the applications you like the most use GTK or Qt.

When the Portland project comes along, THEN we'll be able to talk about Gnome vs KDE. Until then, it's really a battle between application software.

(But here's a tip: Start off using the DE that comes with your distro - it will be more reliable)

Collapse -
KDE all the way!!!
by viphilar / April 10, 2006 11:23 AM PDT

i like KDE because the interface is far better compared to GNOME!!! and i have also found out that the loading time is more in case of GNOME as compared to KDE...

Collapse -
My 1st chioce is Gnome.
by chrisENJUNSc / April 14, 2006 12:10 AM PDT
In reply to: KDE all the way!!!

I would disagree with that.Every test report I have read and on this machine Gnome boots and runs quicker than KDE.That is one of my reasons for useing it on this P3 machine.

As to wether the KDE interface is better that is only a personal opinion and an all sweeping statement.What is better about KDE?.Some say it is arranged more like MS Windows and more attractive than Gnome and I think that to be fair comment.But i prefer the simplicity of Gnome and the way it is arranged.That is my opinion.

Both desktops have there own merits as does XFCE and it can be a problem with GNU/Linux in that we are spoiled for choice.Whatever desktop you prefer good luck to you.

My main hope is that for those new to Linux is that they give it a try for long enough to make the transition and give it a fair chance.Once i was through the learning curve i really was amazed and think it GREAT.

Best wishes Chris.

Collapse -
Gnome for me
by Rocker452 / April 14, 2006 3:30 AM PDT

I have a dual boot setup with WinXP and Suse 10 with Gnome desktop. I just like the way Gnome looks, and its easy to navigate. I've used both and each has its pros and cons so it really boils down to which you like better. My advice is to get LiveCDs with one of each desktop and try them to see which you prefer before installing one.You may find a LiveCD that offers both and lets you choose which to use, this would be good to test which you like.

Collapse -
i prefer KDE
by ackmondual / April 14, 2006 8:17 AM PDT

But I last used KDE and Gnome back in late 2003. I'm sure much has changed since then. It ran decently on the school's workstation which were around P4 1.5GHz IIRC.

I'm not too technical, so many of the things in KDE i favored over Gnome were in the interfaces, personalization, customization, and how things were organized. Similar to winXP, but with much Linux specific stuff that I was used to being a several month user when I first used KDE

Collapse -
KDE for now
by tvphil / April 14, 2006 12:50 PM PDT

KDE is simply easier to get use to, if you're migrating from Windows or Mac. Having said that, Gnome doesn't suck, as some would have you believe. Basically (at least as far as hand-eye coordination are concerned), Gnome simply is heavy on right click use. Once you get use to that, it isn't bad. Nautilaus as a file manager is concerned, does suck. If Gnome could rid itself of Nautilaus and adopt (when pigs fly) KDE's file manager, it would be a dead heat with KDE, in my opinion.For now though, I use KDE.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.