Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

KB887797

Please describe this optional update. Do I need it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: KB887797
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: KB887797
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i got it and 3 others np get it

In reply to: KB887797

Collapse -
lktgdt, It's 'Non-Security' Cumulative Update For ...

In reply to: KB887797

...Outlook Express 6 but so far the actual knowledgebase article has been posted. I've installed it on half a dozen Windows 2000 and XP SP2 computers and so far, no problems.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif

In reply to: lktgdt, It's 'Non-Security' Cumulative Update For ...

KB887797 did not show as an update on mine. I got KB873393,KB885835,KB885836,KB886185 and an Intel(R)82845G Graphics Controller.
Larry

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It's in the "Optional Software Updates" area Larry

In reply to: Grif

Collapse -
Donna, I found it....

In reply to: (NT) It's in the "Optional Software Updates" area Larry

I used Express Install, but I found it under Custom Install.
Thanks
Larry

Collapse -
Larry

If you do the "express scan" all it shows you is the critical updates. If you do the "custom scan", it still shows you the Critical ones BUT also shows you the "Optional ones" on the left side of the page. That's where the OE one is.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks roddy, Ck. reply to Donna.

In reply to: Larry

Collapse -
You're welcome Larry and

In reply to: (NT) Thanks roddy, Ck. reply to Donna.

I never understood why they had two different scans anyway. They both take the same amount of time to scan and I, for one would like to know if there is something optional or not LOL. That is another reason why I have automatic updates disabled, Most people (the general public anyway)don't know enough to go to Windows Update and even check to see if there is anything else there because they think everything comes to them automatically but it's only the critical ones that do. I ALWAYS use the custom scan for that reason. I also like the "Hide updates" option. I have one hidden now for some family thing that I don't need cause I don't have kids and even if I did they would be grown up now anyway. If and when I ever decide i want it, it is there. LOL

Collapse -
Roddy, This One's A Little Different

In reply to: Larry

Although normally you're correct...the "Custom Install" shows less than "Critical" Updates, in this case, all of the updates in the "Express Install" are only "Important" while the "Outlook Express Cumulative Update KB887797" is a "Critical" one and it shows up in the "Custom Install".

I'm not sure WHY it's that why, it just IS. This morning, I've installed the updates on about 25 Windows 2000 and XP computers and they all show up the same..

Wierd.

Grif

Collapse -
For me Grif

In reply to: Roddy, This One's A Little Different

it showed as an optional update yesterday under "select optional software updates" and NOT under the "review high priority updates" section. There were a few others yesterday that did not see that update when they ran the "Express scan" which is why I suggested the "custom scan". Why it is showing up as a critcal update for SOME people and NOT for others is beyond me. The important thing is that everybody gets it that needs it regardless of where it is showing up at Windows Update.I wish the KB article was available but it's not still. If I click on the note for it under installation history, this is what it says exactly.

"Cumulative Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB887797)
This non-security update helps resolve various issues found in Outlook Express. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
How to Uninstall
This software update can be removed via Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
Help and support
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=38306
Print | Close "

Collapse -
Grif can you please post a link if available....

In reply to: Roddy, This One's A Little Different

checked Windows Update, priority and custom and installaton istory.

Does not show.

thanks in advance.

nice pic of you on Wayne's site.

Collapse -
David, No KB887797 Article Link Available Yet...

In reply to: Grif can you please post a link if available....

The "Installation History" shows exactly as Roddy indicated. My experience with the Internet Explorer and Outlook Express "Cumulative" updates has been they are always rated as "Critical". I am interested to see the final KB article. But if you visit the Windows Update site for Windows XP SP2, the wording is interesting:

Express Install (Recommended): High Priority Updates for Your Computer

Choose this for the fastest updating. Quickly scan for, download, and install only the critical and security updates your computer needs.

Custom Install: High Priority and Optional Updates for Your Computer

Choose this to scan for optional, critical, and security updates your computer needs, choose from all the updates on the site, and review updates before downloading.

In this case, the three main ones in the "Express Install" are only classified as "Important" NOT "Critical". Apparently, Microsoft is "deciding" that some "Important" updates can fall in the "Express Install"-"High Priority" section, but some "Critical" updates may not? Those links are available below:

Vulnerabilities in Windows Kernel and LSASS Could Allow Elevation of Privilege (885835):

Vulnerability in WordPad Could Allow Code Execution (885836):

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS04-041.mspx

It's not a big deal, just a little unusual.

By the way, I've also been installing a Windows Firewall update(KB886185) for Windows XP SP2 which was rated as "Critical" and WAS found in the "Express Install" scan, but at this time, there still isn't a published Knowledgebase article either...Strange.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I found the KB886185 article

In reply to: David, No KB887797 Article Link Available Yet...

but the other one for OE is STILL not out but either myself or whoever sees it first can post that when it comes out. This is the Microsoft link for the XPSP2 Windows Firewall CRITICAL Update KB886185

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886185

Collapse -
OK Roddy, How'd You Find That One ?

In reply to: I found the KB886185 article

I've searched everywhere through the Microsoft Knowledge Base search engines and they still don't show it. Wierd

Thanks for the link..I save all those manual downloads to be used on remote computers that are hard to access and that have dial-up connections.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif

In reply to: OK Roddy, How'd You Find That One ?

I clicked on the "View Installation History" and then clicked on that particular update and then clicked on the link that was in the popup and that took me to the KB article. BTW I just tried that on the Outlook Express Update one again too and that one is still NOT available yet. I will post it in here when/if it ever does become available.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks Roddy !

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome grif

Collapse -
Roddy, The Manual Downloads For KB88797 Are Here...

In reply to: (NT) You're welcome grif

...and currently available in the Microsoft Downloads page at the link below. (Click on the link, then type "Outlook Express Update" in the "Keywords" line. When the updates are listed, select for "Date" sorting instead of "Popularity".):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en

They haven't been available for too long and the Knowloedge Base article still can't be found...but at least I can now get the downloaded installer files.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Yep Grif, Donna just posted in

In reply to: Roddy, The Manual Downloads For KB88797 Are Here...

Collapse -
PS about no further replies

In reply to: Yep Grif, Donna just posted in

I just now noticed the new message that Lee has for the "no further replies". It is MUCH better than the old one(for those that don't know the number trick). A lot of people that weren't regulars thought they had posted something bad when they saw the old message.LOL This is what the new one says.

Note: Due to the depth of this discussion thread, no additional replies can be accepted. If you have comments to make, please reply to the original post at the beginning of this thread.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yep, I Like It Better Too..'Kinder' & More Explanatory

In reply to: PS about no further replies

Collapse -
Re: 'Kinder' & More Explanatory'

In reply to: (NT) Yep, I Like It Better Too..'Kinder' & More Explanatory

Yes, better. The old notice was:

"No further replies will be accepted"

Notice also the "will" was replaced with "can".

Collapse -
thought so Roddy. the new post applies to 07.04

i am sure i have it.

guess I'll keep checking.

Thank you Grif and Roddy.

david

Collapse -
KB887797

In reply to: lktgdt, It's 'Non-Security' Cumulative Update For ...

Thanks!!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.