Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Karl Rove says McCain went 'too far' in ads

by grimgraphix / September 14, 2008 1:23 PM PDT

It is nothing new to see the rabid SE member leap to defend the most outrageous political rumor as completely real, or a slanderous lie... if one of us (me for example) points out that things have gobe too far, we are likely to be ridiculed as nonobjective. How about if an more neutral authority said things have gone too far? How about if one of the most influential spin doctors of modern times is publicly stating that the mud slinging has gone too far.

Former Bush adviser Karl Rove said Sunday that Sen. John McCain had gone "one step too far" in some of his recent ads attacking Sen. Barack Obama. Rove has leveled similar criticism against Obama.

"McCain has gone in some of his ads -- similarly gone one step too far," he told Fox News, "and sort of attributing to Obama things that are, you know, beyond the '100 percent truth' test."

I have been amazed by some of the asinine threads that have been passed off as "serious" political discussions as of late. To call some of the thread subjects pathetic fiction is an insult to all the bad fiction ever written, yet some folk here have decided to defend ridiculous accusations against one candidate or another as if the fate of the nation balanced on the concession of a fabrication as being real. Yes, the fringe bloggers out there have posted slanderous lies, however, there are some members here who come throwing these lies in the forum' face as if the members here had #1 fabricated the lies ourselves, and #2 were responsible for issuing an apology for these fringe fanatics.

I would hope that if Mr Rove is publicly stating that both sides have gone too far, that some forum members here could also reconsider some of the asinine subjects they have chosen to insist are relevant enough to thrust upon us. The point being that is if some extreme right wing or left wing blogger decides to throw a lie into the public forum, we do not need to repeat it here on SE and in doing so, give credibility to the lies. Some times - no, most times - a lie just needs to be ignored, an exaggeration should be recognized as such, and an obvious attempt at trolling should be ignored.

I appreciate the fact that the forum mods have relaxed the ban on politics to the point where we can discuss the subject. I am just disappointed that no one is willing to swallow their hubris, and allow a serious discussion of real issues.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Karl Rove says McCain went 'too far' in ads
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Karl Rove says McCain went 'too far' in ads
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is the political equivalent....
by Josh K / September 15, 2008 1:48 AM PDT

....of Keith Richards telling you that you are doing too many drugs. When Keith Richards thinks you're doing too many drugs, YOU HAVE A PROBLEM.

Some of McCain's ads (and the tales that have been planted on the Internet) are beyond typical campaign word-twisting, even beyond the Swift Boat attacks of four years ago. I saw one that claimed that Obama was mocking McCain's physical limitations brought about by his Vietnam imprisonment. How utterly absurd. The Obama ad in question commented that McCain doesn't know much about modern-day computers. Somehow the McCain team managed to twist that into "he's mocking the fact that McCain is physically unable to use a keyboard." Puhleeeze.

McCain is a better man than this, which is what is most surprising to me about it. That attack, the lipstick/pig nonsense and the rest of it tell me that McCain has nothing more substantive to get voters with so he has to resort to this kind of thing to try to discredit his opponent.

Collapse -
Maybe. But there has been no
by Dan McC / September 15, 2008 2:10 AM PDT

evidence of it lately. He's either way out of character or his campaign is way out of his control. Neither is particularly comforting.

Dan

Collapse -
re: campaign out of control
by grimgraphix / September 15, 2008 3:08 AM PDT

But that is just it... we have reached a point in these campaigns where there are so many hidden entities designed to compartmentalize campaign money and attack strategies (such as the 527 organizations or groups like veterans for "add your gripe here") that you have to wonder how much control a candidate has over what is said.

I liked McCain once, for his desires to reform campaign funding and thus strategies too. He has evidently given up those ideas for the chance of becoming president before he dies. Don't get me wrong... I see Obama (or his supporters) doing the same things in some cases. It's just that Obama didn't spend 20 years speaking out against such practices and then turn around and embrace them whole heartedly as McCain seems to have done.

Collapse -
(NT) It's a sad thing, really.
by Dan McC / September 15, 2008 4:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
Wrong aga9n....
by EdHannigan / September 15, 2008 4:11 AM PDT
"The Obama ad in question commented that McCain doesn't know much about modern-day computers."

Untrue. The ad in question DOES indeed mock McCain for not knowing how to use a computer or send e-mail. The reason he never learned how to do those things is because of his war wounds.

Either they are being very nasty or they can't do research. Simple as that. It's another of many scurrilous attacks from the Obama side.

If anyone has been "swiftboating" it has been Obama.
Collapse -
Yes, you are
by Josh K / September 15, 2008 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Wrong aga9n....

Both Windows and Mac OSs have tools for people with disabilities. Not knowing how to do something is a lot different than being physically unable to do it. Down the hall from me is a man who is blind. This is an IT building. He is apparently quite competent at his computer-oriented job.

Collapse -
That's beside the point...
by EdHannigan / September 15, 2008 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, you are

Either the Obama campain KNEW why McCain doesn't use a computer and they are just being mean....

OR

They didn't know, which indicates that they are too stupid to do simple research.

The fact is that John McCain used to fly fighter jets. A task that requires just a little more technical know-how than running Windows. He's hardly a dummy what it comes ot things like that.

So what if some handicapped people do things that most others can't or don't want to, for whatever reason? It was a very disgusting act on the part of the Obama campaign and not the first.

Your defense of that putrid ad is just as shameful as the ad itself.

Collapse -
What's shameful, Ed...
by Josh K / September 15, 2008 5:03 AM PDT

...is playing the "disability card" at the drop of a hat.

Collapse -
the amazing thing
by oldie and goody / September 15, 2008 4:40 AM PDT

is that any of you on the other side would accept anything Karl Rove would say! Just have to chuckle over this one.

Collapse -
Another topic
by Angeline Booher / September 15, 2008 5:10 AM PDT
In reply to: the amazing thing

.... that could be an interesting one to discussed, especially as Rove was pretty even-handed in his criticism.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.