Video Cameras forum

General discussion

JVC GZ-MG30U (non-FireWire camera) with Final Cut Pro HD

by LaptopLover46 / February 2, 2009 3:11 AM PST

I have a JVC GZ-MG30U hard drive based video camera, and it has done everything just fine when using Nero Vision Express on my PC. I have a mixed environment of Macs and PCs, and I was given Final Cut Pro HD (version 4.5) and wanted to use it for my video editing. (For VERY obvious reasons!) My camera has a USB Port, S-video, and those red, yellow, and white plugs. (What are they called anyway?!?) Anyway, anytime I start Final Cut I get this error. (Part of it is quoted below.)

?Unable to locate the following external devices:

Apple FireWire NTSC (720 x 480)

?your deck/camera may be disconnected.?

I?m assuming that that translates to: ?Connect a FireWire camera-and make sure it?s turned on!?

I then click ?Continue? button and can use the program. I tried to import a video file from my camera. (My Mac connects it as if it were a USB hard drive.) Final Cut does not support the version of MPEG 2 that JVC uses. (.MOD files) OK, so I use Nero to encode it a to a MPEG2 file (.MPG) and when Final Cut imports it and is dragged to the timeline, it show an ?Unrenderd? screen in the Canvas. (When I try to play the file.)

Here are my ideas to fix this problem.

1. Get a plug-in for Final Cut.
2. Get a FireWire capture card. (FYW plugs or s-video input converted to FireWire. ?is that possible?)
3. Get a genie in a bottle/lamp.

I REALLY need HELP!!

Thank you!

Laptoplover46 Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: JVC GZ-MG30U (non-FireWire camera) with Final Cut Pro HD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: JVC GZ-MG30U (non-FireWire camera) with Final Cut Pro HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
None of your options will work.
by Kiddpeat / February 2, 2009 8:23 AM PST

You need software that is able to convert your files to a format that FCP will accept. FCP is apparently not very inclusive in the number of formats that it can use.

Collapse -
No big deal on the conversion application.
by boya84 / February 3, 2009 3:30 AM PST
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/mpegstreamclip.html

FinalCut likes DV, MP4 or MOV video files (among many others). This is not unlike converting those MOD and TOD files from JVC (and now Panasonic, I think) camcorders that use hard disc drive or flash memory video storage media in a Windows environment (other than some of the editors like WMV, AVI, DV - among others) to a normal MPEG2 file.

You need to use the USB connection to mount the camcorder to the desktop, copy the files from the camcorder's hard drive to the computer, convert the files using StreamClip, then drag the converted files to the Log/Capture pane in FinalCut.

The Yellow (composite video), red (right analog audio), white (left analog audio) are the analog connections found on many televisions (and VCRs) for dubbing (low quality) analog video or just watching playback using the camcorder as a "deck" connected to a non-HDTV.

You are trying to "Log/Capture" by importing over firewire - for the most part, consumer hard disc drive (HDD) camcorders (with the exception of a couple of JVC HDD camcorders with docking stations), do not have firewire - ALL MiniDV tape based camcorders use firewire for importing.

A USB to firewire converter/adapter/cable/hub thing won't work... and is unnecessary.
Collapse -
It worked!
by LaptopLover46 / February 6, 2009 7:25 AM PST

It worked! I convert my clips to .Mov files and they work PERFECT! The weird thing is that if I try to convert them to .DV file, Final Cut Doesn't like them. The video works, but the audio just beeps... But that's OK, .Mov works! Thanks for your help!

Laptoplover46

Collapse -
YAY!
by boya84 / February 6, 2009 8:16 AM PST
In reply to: It worked!

Odd about the DV format audio, though - but at least you have something that works. Woohoo!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?