Camcorders forum

General discussion

JVC GZ-200BEK Full HD SD camcorder

by Simmo124 / August 21, 2009 12:58 AM PDT

I have just puchased a JVC GZ-200BEK SD camcorder. The problem is i would like to edit the video footage in windows movie maker and vista does not reconise the camcorder or the format. The camcorder comes with its own software Everio mediabrowser but this seem to be a basic program with no editing software included. I have recorded video footage in full HD and in standard mode, but still unable to edit the footage. Does anyone know of a program i can use with Camcorder

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: JVC GZ-200BEK Full HD SD camcorder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: JVC GZ-200BEK Full HD SD camcorder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Typo?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2009 1:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
GZ-HM200BEK
by Simmo124 / August 21, 2009 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Typo?

Sorry Missed out the HM

Collapse -
There's a GZ-HM200
by boya84 / August 21, 2009 2:56 AM PDT

in various colors (making the last letters change)...

Presuming this is the camcorder, read the manual. It records to AVCHD/MTS files. Microsoft MovieMaker cannot deal with AVCHD/MTS files.

The usual suspects are current versions Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere running on a computer that meets their requirements + AVCHD use.

Typically, if you want to convert the files to work with MovieMaker, you will be dropping out of high definition which sort of defeats the purpose of having a high definition camcorder.

Collapse -
GZ-HM200
by Simmo124 / August 21, 2009 6:32 AM PDT
In reply to: There's a GZ-HM200

Sorry i missed out the HM.
I have even dropped out of HD and still Movie maker won`t reconise it

Collapse -
Um... yeah - that's
by boya84 / August 21, 2009 6:46 AM PDT
In reply to: GZ-HM200

a known item, too.

The standard definition files are saved to .MOD file type and MovieMaker can't deal with those, either. This is not a JVC camcorder-specific issue. There are several ways to convert MOD files and they are already posted in this area so I won't repeat.

These are the file types Windows XP + MovieMaker supports...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308464
If you want the Vista + MovieMaker file types, you can find them in a few different places.
You can use this file type information when you do the conversion with whatever utility you decide to try. WMV is a popular one...

Collapse -
By the way, you might want to read
by boya84 / August 21, 2009 6:59 AM PDT
In reply to: GZ-HM200

the camcorder manual, too... There is no dropping "out of HD" on this camcorder.

The video files are always AVCHD/MTS. They might be more or less compressed which means better or worse video quality and larger or smaller files, but they are always AVCHD/MTS format.

Check pages 48 and 49 in the manual in the Specifications section.

There is no standard definition to "drop" to.

Collapse -
Dont drop out of HD
by jimmy8765 / March 27, 2010 11:05 AM PDT

Convert to WMV HD(*.wmv)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.