General discussion

Just wondering if Anyone uses Speakeasy DSL...

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Just wondering if Anyone uses Speakeasy DSL...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Just wondering if Anyone uses Speakeasy DSL...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Hi Glenda

Looks expensive to me. I was thinking of going to this new Verizon DSL they just made available. $35.00 per month, free installation.

George

- Collapse -
OK:) Thanks

I just started checking out all the options, with this one I can get rid of Qwest, and AT&T, and it would cost me 1.00$ more than all the others combinedHappy I don't know if you have to have a phone for other DSL offers. This is all new to meHappy LOL
Glenda

- Collapse -
As I understand it..

You do not have to have Verizon phone service. But it would cost $45 per month without it. I already have 2 phones with Verizon service so as long as I keep one its $35 per month.

George

- Collapse -
Hi! George........

I just checked out Verizon, and like AT&T DSL it is not available in my areaSad RATS!!
Glenda

- Collapse -
hi Glenda ... yes/no

I switch to vonage and time warner high speed for same monthly bill as before, when I had ev1 and a regular phone company. I have has this service for well over a year and have been very happy with this move. My sis. Went to sbc basic phone plan and yahoo dsl and she received a good deal.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks I will check these two out:)
- Collapse -
Glenda...

Speakeasy.net has a decent service reputation in the industry (as compared to the Speakeasy.C|net forum...LOL) but it is a bit pricier (for several reasons that may make it worth paying extra for) than some of the other DSL services, including those provided by your phone company itself.

There are some complicated business interactions going on behind the scenes with DSL which may require some additional info from you about your current phone service (who is your main phone company and are you still buying phone service from them or did you switch to a competitive carrier for your local service?) and your future plans for phone service (are you going to keep your phone line or go completely cell?).

dw

- Collapse -
Hi, ****

I was thinking of going with just our cell phones. We are in the process of buying a new mobile home and I wanted to get away from Qwest for local service, AT&T for the internet and long distance! I checked all of the providers I was just given and I can't get Yahoo, Vonage, Or a lot of others out here in the boon docksHappy
Like I said it will only cost another dollar than I am already paying so it sounded good to meHappy Do you know if you have to use the DSL modem that Speakeasy provides or can I buy my own?
Thanks, Glenda

- Collapse -
Don't get your hopes up.

DSL service travels over phone wires. The copper portion of the phone wire ending at your house cannot be longer than 18,000 ft (on average, about 3 miles as the crow flies, but phone circuits are notorious for wandering all over town and back). The other end of the copper circuit must terminate in a location that has the proper DSL equipment in it. This could be the main central office or out in the boonies it could be a special equipment cabinet somewhere beside the road. Such a cabinet (remote terminal) would probably be fed by a fiber optic cable back the the central office but it would need to have a smaller version of the DSL equipment in it to convert the optical signals to the electrical DSL signal. Remotes that were installed long ago don't have the proper equipment for combination voice and DSL unless they have been upgraded recently - an expensive proposition that phone companies don't like to do unless they smell a good market at the other end. Newer ones are probably DSL-capable as the extra cost of that vs. a plain voice cabinet is minor. Those are the physical requirements that have to be met or else no DSL service is possible from anybody.

The physical issues are complicated by the business issues. Your local phone company (Qwest) owns the copper. Under deregulation, they are required to permit other qualified phone service providers offer service over their copper. Originally, that only applied to long distance, but now local service is up for grabs in some states. Since DSL is not a regulated phone service, but is an unregulated information service, the phone company that owns the copper may or may not allow other DSL service providers to use their copper. If your copper runs all the way back to the central office, it is probable that some other DSL company has equipment there that can be interconnected - but you'd have to research who they are, not every company with ads on TV has the necessary business relationship for service from your specific central office. If you are far enough out that your phone service passes through a remote terminal, it is highly UNlikely that Qwest would offer space inside that cabinet for a competitor's equipment. So then it would be Qwest DSL (with a requirement of Qwest phone service) or nothing.

The Speakeasy.net offer you showed up takes it a step further. They will take out a phone number in their name but running to your house. It won't work for phone calls if you plugged a phone into that jack, but they will send DSL over it. That's why it is $50-60 - their monthly phone bill is buried in the cost to you. However, you still need to meet the physical requirements above and Speakeasy.net has to have a business relationship with Qwest for the proper equipment in your specific central office.

dw

- Collapse -
p.s., on the modems..

The term "modem" is not technically correct here, but it does give a reasonable picture of a little box that takes signals from the phone jack and turns them into data bits that your computer can use. DSL modems and cable modems are not interchangable like real computer modems. If your DSL provider is using one of the several common methodologies, you can use any modem based on that same methodology, though you may have to be able to get into its firmware to set it to the exact requirements of the equipment at the other end. All the providers will send you a modem with the proper settings, obviously, but some use equipment that they've purchased in bulk that cannot be reset to a different setting. Because there are several DSL methodologies, you probably won't be able to buy one retail in BestBuy like cable modems (for which there is only one main standard), but you might find them on eBay from people who have moved or changed provider and are selling their old one. This can be a cheap source, but be aware that it may or may not work. On the other hand, most of the DSL providers throw in the modem at no extra charge. You may have to send it back if you cancel sooner than one year, but there usually isn't the $5/month extra for modem "rental."

dw

- Collapse -
well its expensive for the speed

i use comcast cable and there basic price id 50.00 bucks for 4000 kbs down load speed

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Shop around, they're high.
- Collapse -
They give good service.

I set up a DSL for my company and have had very few problems for the last 3+ years. Their customer service is good. The cost is less of a factor than the reliability which has been excellent. Very limited unscheduled downtime in the years we've been using it.

Dan

- Collapse -
Thanks Dan........

I have had AT&T dialup for years and if I change my email addy, I didn't want some fly by night that would be gone in a few monthsHappy Reliability beats out cost for me anytimeHappy I will have to check and see if SE has everything I need, but looks like this is going to be the one. Either this or Qwest, I have not got a lot of choices hereSad It is hell living in the booniesSad
Glenda

- Collapse -
Have you checked out

dslreports.com? A very valuable resource.

Dan

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks I will check it out:)
- Collapse -
Unless there is a lot of downloading I see no need

to switch from dialup. I pay only $4.95 per mo for dialup with a large well known national provider, which is now $9.99 per month on the lowest dialup service for others. I took advantage of a special price years ago and they have not increased for us old timers.

So DSL and Cable is faster, yes on downloads, but I get instant response connecting with any of the forums in CNet and also to sites outside of CNet, using Firefox as a browser (which is slightly faster than IE).

The money I save (being retired) goes to other good stuff that I like.

- Collapse -
But All I hear is that I NEED IT!! LOL

also I have been told it is cheaper than a second phone line. The SE DSL says That I don't need local phone service for their DSL and I could cut that bill along with AT&T and just use our cell phones. Still just thinking about all of this, No decision yetHappy
Glenda

- Collapse -
Thats a good deal John..

I'm also on dail-up and the downloads are a pain, but don't do too much of it, so I can put up with a little slow loading of some sites for now anyway. I also have Firefox on 98 and Opera 7.5 on 2000. I find Opera faster than Firefox and of course much faster than IE. I don't even use IE anymore. Its loaded with junk. One of these days, if I ever get around to building a bigger PC I'll go DSL and XP.

George

- Collapse -
Anybody on Satellite Internet?
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Toni can tell you her sad stories of satellite...
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks...maybe she'll enligthen us all.
- Collapse -
How about T1, T3?

Anybody on this?

cl
Service fee seems kindda wacked!

- Collapse -
T1/T3

"Service fee seems kindda wacked!"

but symetric upload and the QOS make it one helluva barnburner...

dw

CNET Forums

Forum Info