Computer Help forum

General discussion

Just wiped my hard drive, and now I am blind

by chu_man_00 / March 28, 2008 6:45 PM PDT

All right so I just wiped my hard drive on my acer aspire 3610. The problem lies in that, the screen to my laptop is screwed so I have an old desktop monitor hooked up which was working fine until after I wiped. The screen still works because I still have to type in my bios password and I can see that on the screen when I go into the bios. But after windows loads, the monitor will not turn and since my laptop screen is wacked I dont know what I have to click, i do hear some funky music though, and if I click tab then enter I can hear that there are different options. But I do not know where to stop.

If anyone could replicate this process and post a vid or some screen shots so I could at least guess where to click, or how many times to click tab that would be absolutely amazing and if you have any other ideas thanks.

P.S. I am not replacing my screen on my laptop.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Just wiped my hard drive, and now I am blind
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Just wiped my hard drive, and now I am blind
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look into
by Willy / March 28, 2008 10:21 PM PDT

If you've wiped out the HD, you then reloaded the OS from what? Have you tried the basic safe boot option, hitting F8 doing initial boot. If not, do so and check the video setting. Change them to what is required. If unable to change be sure to load the proper drivers, etc.. What are your results?

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Hard drive wiped and blind
by chu_man_00 / March 28, 2008 11:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Look into

Hmmm did not have to reinstall the OS because all I did was restore the computer to the factory defaults, will try the safe boot later today thanks, gotta run to work

Collapse -
This is a situation where opening the user manual ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 29, 2008 4:59 AM PDT

is helpful.

Most laptops require the use of function key combinations to display on an external monitor.

Yours being the Acer Aspire 3610, thecombination used to toggle the display between screen, external or both is the Fn + F5 key combo (the f5 should likely show a little picture of a monitor on it).

If you lost your manual get thuis one and print it out (or print out what you might need to get up and running at a later date)
http://www.manualnguide.com/manual-get/8613/

Collapse -
hmmmm
by chu_man_00 / March 29, 2008 6:35 AM PDT

the f5 and Fn does not work I tried that and neither does the safeboot it says that system is not fully installed. Sad

Collapse -
Re: "it says that system is not fully installed."
by Edward ODaniel / March 29, 2008 8:30 AM PDT
In reply to: hmmmm

It would appear that you didn't finish the "all I did was restore the computer to the factory defaults".

Exactly HOW did you perform the Acer eRecovery? One must assume you made the recovery image to have the Disks or did you create the restore image to the hard drive and recover from within XP?

The proper system restoration methods are on pages 48 and 49 of the Acer Aspire 3610 user manual where it also indicates the default restore password is 000000 (six zeros).

If those instructions are not adequate you will most likely have to contact Acer and have their support talk you through the recovery.

Collapse -
Did that
by chu_man_00 / March 29, 2008 9:12 AM PDT

All I did was push alt and f10 during load up and it restores it to factory defaults, I did the part with the six zeroes, im coming up to a part that I am guessing is a blue screen because my laptop screen is blue (with about a thousand other colours but mostly blue)and there is music. Thanks for all your comments though, what I need is someone who has recently done this with an acer laptop.

P.S last time, I stayed on the phone for 4 hours with Acer support and was the worst time of my life, but good suggestion

Collapse -
reload drivers directly
by Willy / March 29, 2008 10:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Did that

It's possible the reload just didn't get done right or was corrupted. Goto the Acer support website, find your model# and get the chipset and video drivers and load them. The video drivers 1st then proceed with any resetting and save them and check results. The Acer video setting found at control panel should accessible for these changes. If you need more drivers, again Acer should provide. Do all this w/o the ext. monitor. If you get no display, then maybe the video side is broken, you're trying to reset with active on-board video and using the ext. video, it needs to set the on-board 1st, IMHO.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
How would you go about that ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 30, 2008 4:26 AM PDT

since the OS must be installed BEFORE updating or installing any drivers?

Collapse -
(NT) Must be more of that "interweb" stuff ;) j/k everyone!
by glenn30 / March 30, 2008 4:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
One way or another
by Willy / March 30, 2008 10:56 AM PDT

His reload suggests he is already interacting with some level of the OS. Doing what I suggest may or may not work, but we won't know that until that action is taken and report back with results. In my last post i also mentioned a corrupted reload to what extent is still unknown. (b) -----Willy

Collapse -
OK, since you can't see ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 30, 2008 4:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Did that

the prompts for what to select or when to select it that is why I suggested having Acer Support step you through.

You could also try just accepting the default choices (whatever they may be) by starting the restore and just staying there watching the hard drive and cd/dvd lights. Whenever they stop blinking like maybe you are being prompted for a choice wait an additional 5 minutes then press the enter key. (Might be an interesting albeit time consuming experiment). This link for a PDF file giving a few more details about eRecovery might be helpful as it does indicate possible differences in the order recovery disks are used:
ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/notebook/empowering_technology/acer_erecovery_management.pdf

Using a disk with a user-created backup image
? After rebooting, Acer eRecovery Management will confirm that you want
to restore your system. The backup image information will be shown.
? You are required to double-confirm the recovery.
? ...

Failing that you might follow this link http://www.acersupport.com/html/email.cfm and fill out their form explaining that you have no display and need to be stepped through the options that the system restore offers as it progresses.

Last but not least you might start a new thread linking to this for details but with a Subject Line such as "Need detailed instructions for restoring Acer 3610" although the PDF file I linked you to does offer all the steps since you can't see the screen.

Just curious, but why not get the laptop's display repaired and sidestep the problem of not being able to see what you are doing?

Collapse -
Why not replace?
by chu_man_00 / March 30, 2008 10:11 AM PDT

I dont want to replace the screen because I will be replacing the whole laptop in the fall, it would cost me nearly five hundred for the screen and to have somebody do it, and my laptop is not even worth that much. Thanks for the comments

Collapse -
Perfect
by chu_man_00 / March 30, 2008 10:15 AM PDT

Thanks so much those pictures are exactly what I am looking for! Hopefully I can get lucky with the clicking lol.

Collapse -
In the End
by chu_man_00 / March 31, 2008 6:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Perfect

Well I am now typing on my laptop/desktop now I guess, I ended up taking every single thing apart and for like ten seconds my laptop screen actually started working so I did all of the installation with the laptop screen. Thanks for all of the comments and help.

P.S. One problem I have like fifty extra screws lol :S

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?