Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Just recieved my SP2 CD

Before I run it, just a couple of questions.

1. If things go to pot after install, will System Restore undo things?
2. If not, and I have to use my Restore disk to start over, would Windows Updates still be available for that? Actually I do have the SP1 update disk, so would probably want to use that too?
All personal files, folders, and installation files are backed up on CDs.

Know it may be best to hold off for a while, but don't think MS will offer any more upgrade disks, only patches and such.
Just looking for educated guesses here, as probably no one knows all the answers yet.
Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Just recieved my SP2 CD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Just recieved my SP2 CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Just recieved my SP2 CD

In reply to: Just recieved my SP2 CD

ray i had not a hiccup.

but make a restore point before you start plus th sp2 makes a restore point allso

Collapse -
Mark..

In reply to: Re: Just recieved my SP2 CD

So you are saying SP2 can be undone, with System Restore?

Collapse -
Re: Just recieved my SP2 CD

Ray, like Mark I had none either. In addition to what you have done it's a good idea to follow all the setup instructions such as shutting down all running programs before starting to install. If it completes, and I have no reason to think otherwise, then you can uninstall SP-2 by using the Add/Remove feature in the control panel if you don't like it.

Good luck and I think you will like what you get. Maybe you will want to do some trash cleanup before starting.

Glenn

Collapse -
OK pal..

Between you, Mark, and Marianna, how can I go wrong?
Will give it a shot shortly, and let you know how it goes. Thanks to all replies.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Will be looking for a good report! :)

In reply to: OK pal..

Collapse -
Mark and Glenn..

In reply to: Just recieved my SP2 CD

thank you for the help. All went well, and all programs (or all I have checked, about 15) appear to still be working.

Not sure about this Information Bar. When I go to my website, all is fine. When I go to my website, stored locally, (same), I get the popup about some unsafe files. LOL. Makes no sense to me.

Oh well, have heard worse. The install took 1 hour and 2 minutes, from booting CD, to rebooting for the final time. Not bad I guess.

Collapse -
Congratulations Ray!

In reply to: Mark and Glenn..

I knew you could do it. Now that it is done you can settle in and start learning the finer points. With some time you will learn to tweak it the way you prefer. Its a good system and has been rock solid for me so far.

Best of luck! Hope you were not flooded out today. Your capitol city really looks bad.

Glenn

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.