HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Just received an e-mail from James Woods. Yes, that James

by Ziks511 / October 10, 2013 12:56 AM PDT

Woods. Not directed to me personally but one of three being sent out regarding the last hours of a friend whom I've never met. We argued politics at a distance, he for the Right and I for what I still think is the Middle of the Road, since there are many much farther left than I.

It's a shame to lose someone you've known, even only over the internet, at too young an age. I hope his wife and Allegra and Julian are going to bear up well after the painful period of bereavement begins to fade.

Sail on John, I'll be along in a few years and we'll hit the Ray Charles concerts together. And have a chat with Jesus, perhaps you may find him more persuasive than I could ever be.

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Just received an e-mail from James Woods. Yes, that James
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Just received an e-mail from James Woods. Yes, that James
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
John died yesterday around 2 PM. I was with his half-brother
by Ziks511 / October 12, 2013 12:55 AM PDT

Michael about that time, and we were talking about how awful alcoholism is when it takes over someone's life. He was a talented and funny guy. He'll be missed.

Rob

Collapse -
I hadn't meant to post anything else on this issue
by Ziks511 / October 12, 2013 12:45 PM PDT

but the big e-mail landed in my box this evening. Composed by half-sister Shelagh who has been helping the family and running interference for them during this very difficult time.

John was the sole heir to a large lumber fortune, and while his business plans didn't generate the return he had expected, he was still very wealthy and well situated. Consequently when disaster struck two weeks ago, he was taken to a good private hospital where he was treated to the best of their abilities and then was transferred to a good Palliative Care facility.

I didn't expect the e-mail to open the way it does, and I certainly didn't have any input in its creation.

"Friday
"This is the offcial email from the kids regarding John's passing. I have to say the past week was rough, the US medical system is awful compared to what we've experienced in Ontario but once he was in Hospice, it didn't matter. Like Mum, he floated in dream world and slowly just passed away."

The Mum referred to was John's birth mother married to John's Dad who was a B-29 pilot lost on one of those long distance missions. She was a Canadian and one of Sir William Stephenson's agents, working first in the head office in the Empire State Building, Then subsequently in Guatemala keeping track of Nazi agents causing trouble down there. She was tall and quite remarkably beautiful, with a great presence and a wonderful sense of humour which John apparently inherited.

The peculiar thing is that when the War ended, and she returned to her home and family in Canada, and re-married, John's Grandparents sued for custody of the boy, and won finally in the State Supreme Court. The statements and allegations in the court case were straight out of a Hollywood tear-jerker.

After the war was over Janet returned to Toronto and married a Toronto doctor educated at Cambridge, England and Johns Hopkins who served throughout the war on a Canadian destroyer primarily doing convoy duty. He later became the Dean of Canadian Allergists having essentially established the field in Canada beginning in 1946.

Among the things alleged in the law suit was that Dr. Fitz was a foreigner, educated in England, and a man who knew Jazz Musicians. He was no more foreign that Janet was. Yes, he was educated in England and at Johns Hopkins, and he did know Jazz Musicians. Who'd have thought that would be grounds for taking a child away from its Mother.?

The point here however is the comment about even really good, expensive, California Hospitals as being worse than the average Canadian hospital, where everyone is covered just the same. Those hospitals that the Republican Noise Machine tell you have years long waiting lists and which don't treat people as well as American Hospitals do (despite the fact that even with the ACA, not everyone is covered).

I didn't expect John to get sick and die,and I certainly didn't expect to receive this statement from Shelagh. It is an unsolicited and unexpected look at Good Quality, Expensive, California Health Care by someone who has lived all her life here in Toronto, but because of family connections is equally familiar with the US.

Don`t dismiss it because it`s inconvenient or you don`t like it. It`s an informed Point of View.

Rob

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to edit out information per member's request on 10/15/2013 at 9:03 AM PT

Collapse -
should you be posting this?!
by James Denison / October 12, 2013 5:37 PM PDT

It seems too private for you to assume OK for publication here.

Collapse -
Thanks James, for a good call.
by Ziks511 / October 12, 2013 6:48 PM PDT

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove post per member's request on 10/15/2013 at 9:01 AM PT

Collapse -
normal moderators can only remove posts, not edit
by Roger NC / October 12, 2013 10:13 PM PDT

you should report it under the report link and request such editing.

All I can do is remove the entire post and replies.

Collapse -
Thank you Roger. I have done so.
by Ziks511 / October 14, 2013 11:18 AM PDT

Hope it all works out well.

Thanks again James for your valuable, and valued, reminder that I was posting too much info.

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.