Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Cameras forum

General discussion

Just Purchased D70s...problems?

by blanklogo / January 16, 2006 4:27 AM PST

I purchased a D70s at Samy's in LA on Monday and didn't have a chance to really test it out until yesterday (Sunday). The camera responds like a dream compared to my Fuji S7000. I was pleasantly shocked at the response time and ease of handling.

Unfortunately, then I went home and downloaded the pictures. All my pictures seem just a tad off. They're in focus, but even the pictures I took with on a tripod don't seem as sharp as my Fuji S7000.

I've double-checked all my settings. The D70s is set to Large (6MP), Fine, optimize is normal, most pictures were taken with autofocus on the green Auto mode. I'm unhappy with the resulting clarity. Considering how much I paid for the camera and Nikon's reputation, I expected sharp, clear pictures that would really blow my Fuji away. But as of this moment, I feel the Fuji is a bit superior in sharpness and detail.

I've posted a few unaltered samples to my site for reference.
http://www.blanklogo.com/test/DSC_0221.JPG
http://www.blanklogo.com/test/DSC_0242.JPG
http://www.blanklogo.com/test/DSC_0255.JPG
http://www.blanklogo.com/test/DSC_0262.JPG
http://www.blanklogo.com/test/DSC_0324.JPG

Any comments on sharpness and clarity would be appreciated. I'm thinking of taking this back and trading it for another model/brand. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Just Purchased D70s...problems?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Just Purchased D70s...problems?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by peterg38 / January 16, 2006 5:25 AM PST

You don't say what lens you bought with the Camera. Nikon started shipping a cheap 18-55 Nikkor to lower the price point. I bought mine with the Nikkor 18-70 DX which is the one that tends to be used in the reviews and I am delighted with it.

Collapse -
by blanklogo / January 16, 2006 6:37 AM PST

Sorry. I bought the D70s with the 18-70mm lens.

As for settings, I have my optimization setting at Normal. I was thinking of messing with the optimization options...specifically the Sharp setting.

If possible, can someone else post a pic or two right off the camera (full size, no post processing) with similar settings that they think are representative of the camera's quality? That would be a big help.

Thanks again,
Mike

Collapse -
settings?
by starmonkey / January 16, 2006 5:34 AM PST

All digital cameras do some amount of in-camera sharpening of the raw sensor data. From what I understand, the Nikon D70s does less than most by default. All digital cameras also need to map their sensor data to a ''color space''; the D70s does so in a way that results in less vivid but more accurate colors than most. The D70s also tends to underexpose by 1/3 stop compared to most other cameras, leading to darker-looking images.

Why did Nikon set the default settings on the D70s to produce relatively soft, dull, dark images? Because in general Nikon photographers would rather have accurate colors than colors that ''pop'', and they'd rather err on the side of underexposure rather than overexposure (because underexposed pictures are more likely to be fixable), and oversharpening an image introduces artifacts that cannot easily be removed although an undersharped image can easily be sharpened in software. In other words, the picture may look worse right out of the Nikon, but more often than not you should be able to make it look better if you put some effort into postprocessing, which pros are generally willing and able to do.

The good news is that you can tweak the camera settings to produce better looking pictures out of the camera if you don't intend to spend lots of time postprocessing. I think the menu item is called Optimize Image, you can either choose one of the presets or do Custom. Check out this link for an illustration of the differences:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/page12.asp

I personally set it to Vivid and forget it.

Hope that helps.

Collapse -
Settings
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 16, 2006 7:20 AM PST
In reply to: settings?

Starmonkey....

I played with several of the photos using Adobe PhotoShop Elements and I have to agree with your conclusions.

People who own Fujifilm cameras usually comment about the colorful shots they get.
Fujifilm tends to use more saturation in their camera settings. So I tried to duplicate what their settings would be.

So I boosted saturation a bit, then fine tuned the brightness and contrast. Then finished it off by using unsharp mask.

The photo takes on a new life, and fairly sparkles.
I must admit, I liked it better than the original.

With a few tweaks to the camera settings he should be able to duplicate the look of a Fujifilm camera.

Collapse -
Settings
by blanklogo / January 16, 2006 7:31 AM PST
In reply to: Settings

snapshot2,
Can you tell me specifically what changes you made in your settings. I'd like to try and duplicate them.

Thanks,
Mike

Collapse -
Using PhotoShop Elements 2
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 16, 2006 11:20 AM PST
In reply to: Settings

Photo - DSC-0255

Enhance, Adjust Color, Hue/Saturation.
Set Saturaton slider to +18, OK

Enhance, Auto Contrast.

Filter, Sharp, Unsharp Mask.
Set Amount to 100, Radius to 1.0, Threashold to 0.
OK

Then saved the photo as DSC-0255B
Then opened DSC-0255 again and compared photos.

Collapse -
I'm having trouble figuring out where your focus point
by Kiddpeat / January 16, 2006 10:26 AM PST

is. I don't see anything that really leaps out. My guess is that you're using a wide aperture and getting a very narrow depth of field as a result.

Collapse -
backlogo
by 78young / January 16, 2006 5:14 PM PST

Does the printing come out like your screen result just curios Regards Noel.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!