Windows Vista forum

General discussion

just purchased a vista ready gateway (GT5432).

by bklynrickel / July 3, 2007 11:50 AM PDT

haven't received it yet.

is it time to move up to vista from XP or not? i could still return it. i'm just not confident about vista. i'm ambivalent about moving up to it.

the new machine looks great. Amd 64x2 5000+. i almost wish it came with XP because of its stability.

any help or opinions appreciated.

thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: just purchased a vista ready gateway (GT5432).
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: just purchased a vista ready gateway (GT5432).
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not Quite Sure What You're Saying..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 3, 2007 12:29 PM PDT

Does the computer have XP installed? Or does it have Vista?

Just my opinion...If it's got SP SP2 installed, leave it that way for a while.. Too many bugs at this point especially if you have to "upgrade" to Vista.

Think about the software you're going to run plus all the hardware such as printers, routers, etc. Do they have Vista drivers and firmware? It's your choice.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) vista is installed
by bklynrickel / July 3, 2007 9:00 PM PDT
Collapse -
I would stick with XP for now
by geeksie / July 3, 2007 1:26 PM PDT

Everyone I know that has been using Vista has been having problems. IMHO, I would wait at least a year before upgrading, especially if you are not comfortable with the technical aspects of your PC. Vista is a whole new Windows OS. Some things are familiar, some things are new. It has borrowed heavily from Linux and Mac, so don't expect an easy transition from XP to Vista. There is a learning curve.

Collapse -
Vista
by bowacl / July 4, 2007 4:21 AM PDT

I would say after setting up three Vista machines with most everything I can think of it's about the same as when I got XP for the first time, some things work, some need help to work and some won't at all. These are laptop and two desktops, two Basic version one Premium.

I will say like XP I bought the computers with the OS already on them so I don't have to hunt down working main drivers, I did the factory restore DVD's right off as who knows what was going to go on and may need to redo all - with the first one I bought XP Home upgrade as I thought I couldn't stand it any more when a few of my things wouldn't work, I partitioned the drive and dual booted, now I am back to Vista. Like my XP machines they all have their bugs, the laptop wouldn't share the HP all in one as a networked printer only as a local, one desktop won't read my flash drive at all - says error reading it, FrontPage 2003 gives me odd results on deleting files as a group. In short I have found some things work actually better and some not. So it does totally depend on what you want Vista to do on the machine you get.

Can't go by me tho, I started using computers when using Beta software was the fun thing to do and I have always jumped on the new OS band wagon as soon as it comes out - XP service pack 2 was a long time coming though and the best improvement to XP and I would imagine it will be the same with Vista. Going from Windows 3.11 to Windows 95 still can't be beat but talk about not being able to get things to work - networking just my two computers back then was hours of work.

Northlite

Collapse -
(NT) thanks for the comments. very helpful.
by bklynrickel / July 5, 2007 9:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?