Speakeasy forum

Rant

Just keep kicking the people

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Just keep kicking the people
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Just keep kicking the people
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: forcing them to buy something they don't need....

In reply to: Just keep kicking the people

IF you have a wood stove now...and it's "working" are they making you remove it replace it with a new model?

No one is being "forced to buy something they don't need.".....As long as your stove is working...Put another log on the fire.

When you replace the old model of stove...you are being "forced to buy something you DO need."

When your old stove does break...do you want to go to the store and buy the 1937 model? WHY? Looks? Memories?...Certainly not for efficiency.

When your old car is dying...you go to the dealer and buy? A newer model?

Collapse -
We had air quality alerts during the cold snaps

Actually, I thought that rain and snowfall cleaned the atmosphere. The explanation was that fine soot lingers lower to the ground. That soot comes from a lot of sources including fireplaces and wood burning stoves. I recall it said that wood burning stoves played but a small part in the airborne soot. It's also only present during a short time each year while such as diesel and other fuels are burned year round. I can't imagine not having the smell of a hickory or oak fire outside in winter.

Collapse -
so long as there are steel barrels

In reply to: We had air quality alerts during the cold snaps

Collapse -
One of the houses we had

In reply to: so long as there are steel barrels

a fireplace insert stove on the first floor and a steel barrel stove downstairs. I would start the downstairs stove in the morning and leave it. It would keep the floor warm all day.

Diana

Collapse -
I have this downstairs

In reply to: One of the houses we had

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_346054_346054

Never regretted getting it either. If the electric goes out in a winter storm I have heat and cooking ability. For light I use those propane coleman lanterns which also provide added heat. The downside is you can't have small children around one of these unless you fence it off from them. The newer styles have a jacket around them and blowers to keep the outside from branding anyone if they touch it. This particular one burns 2 foot logs which is nice too.
Collapse -
Our furnace didn't work so we only heated with wood

In reply to: I have this downstairs

Our bill went down in the winter. The door to the basement was kept closed. We had to close the bedroom doors upstairs as well or they got too warm to sleep.

Diana

Collapse -
I wonder if charcoal grills will be next

In reply to: so long as there are steel barrels

I have an old Weber kettle. It serves me well. I use wads of newspaper to light the charcoal. I need to think someone probably considers that to be bad as well. We're so lucky to have an EPA around to protect us from ourselves. The way our ancestors behaved, it's a wonder we're here.

Collapse -
Beat me to that idea.

In reply to: I wonder if charcoal grills will be next

Collapse -
Well, beginning sometime around April here,

In reply to: Beat me to that idea.

will be the first sounds of lawnmowers revving up and the evening air will be full of the roar of small engines...not one of which have a catalytic converter or computer controlled fuel injections to limit their gasoline usage. They'll be polluting our ears and our air until the grass slows it's growth in the heat of summer. At least we won't have to worry about running out of things to worry about.

Collapse -
cities will soon require electric only

In reply to: Well, beginning sometime around April here,

Actually the electrics are not so bad if you don't have too big a yard.

Collapse -
You missed something. The 2 cycle engine requires a fuel &

In reply to: Well, beginning sometime around April here,

oil mixture that makes their exhaust worse than any 4 cycle engine the same size could ever be. Except of course that its gas usage is relatively small when compared to a car at 30 mph let alone at 60.

I went electric for lawns 20 years ago.

Rob

Collapse -
Electric just means the exhaust of any burnt fuel

happens elsewhere than in your yard.

I've not seen 2 cycle lawnmowers lately but do see them with other small engined tools such as chain saws. Two cycle engines are, theoretically, more efficient and provide more power per cc than do 4 cycle engines. It's a trade off.

Collapse -
I prefer my electric chainsaw too

In reply to: Electric just means the exhaust of any burnt fuel

I don't like the fumes coming off a gas engine chain saw and they don't have the same powerful torque for comparable size that an electric one does. When I let go of the trigger the electric one stops, the gas one might or might slowly still drag the chain around the blade. Anytime I can use the electric one instead of the gas one, I do.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks, Bob, great post. Rob

In reply to: Beat me to that idea.

Collapse -
(NT) Worst source of soot these days are Diesel rigs.

In reply to: We had air quality alerts during the cold snaps

Collapse -
The town of Nelson, B.C. had to impose a ban on fireplace

inserts and the use of fireplaces and wood stoves. You can get a very good view of Nelson in the movie "Cyrano" with Steve Martin and Daryl Hannah. Nelson lies in central BC surrounded by mountains. When the chimneys were smoking, even people with strong healthy lungs were finding it hard to breathe, and because the mountains surrounded it, the smoke never went away. That's why they banned burning wood. Temperature inversions still plague Nelson, but it's much easier to breathe. I used to love the smell of burning leaves in the autumn, but from a distance, occasionally, not close to and continuously.

Allowing people to breathe is a right that shouldn't be infringed, that's not kicking the people, it's helping them. Oh, and the incidence of serious allergies provoked by all that woodsmoke tailed off too.

Sorry to rain on your cranky parade, but facts are facts.

Rob

Collapse -
I can see it for special area situations

In reply to: The town of Nelson, B.C. had to impose a ban on fireplace

One of the few things I like about winter is the beautiful aroma of wood fires coming on the winter air around here in Maryland. Most of my heat is electric, but the woodburner gets fired up in extreme temps, usually in the teens or below. It's been getting more use this year than last, that's for sure.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.