HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Just how gullible / predictable are we?

by Mosonnow / September 25, 2004 9:32 PM PDT

1) I Googled the Russian teenager with X-ray eyes.

2) I came across this site explaining how we humans react and how we can be manipulated.

1) The teenager is Natasha Demkina, who, following an operation, found that she could see into people's bodies and detect things which were amiss. Despite the faith in her by many doctors and many of her "patients", the jury is still out on a scientifically controlled basis. (A Google search will reveal all.)

2) I came across this back-down-to-earth site:

http://skepdic.com/tilogic.html

Each link takes you to a page with 2 or 3 paragraphs of research results.

As this is your election year (and ours next year), I wonder how many of the techniques noted are employed by the campainers and spin-doctors - and more particularly - how many of us fall for these?

These items identify our vulnerable areas, even without the other vulnerability: "Lies, damn lies and statistics" (Disraeli quote).

I am sure someone somewhere must have the coined the expression "Awareness is all". The nearest I can think of is "Knowledge is power", but that's not quite the same thing.

Over to you folks...

Regards
Mo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Just how gullible / predictable are we?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Just how gullible / predictable are we?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Just how gullible / predictable are we?
by Angeline Booher / September 26, 2004 12:01 AM PDT

Interesting stuff, Mo!

Based on emails I have received for the past several months, we are gullible. In earlier days it was those "Forward this to everybody in your address book", with the classic hoaxes, petitions, and spoofed resources. "If it came in the email, it must be true."

Now, the "Forward......" are stiff like calls to boycott Heinz ketchup, "reliable" gossip about her and her husband, doctored photographs, and other sleaze. These are sent to me by people I have known for a long time, so I know they sincerely believe what they send, and that they are doing a public service. In addition, I think they rely on resources that support their views, and condemn those that do not.

(I sent myself a link to the site you provided, so will be clicking down the list at my leisure.)

Sort of an aside.... After I listen to a speech, then hear the "analysis", I often wonder if I heard the same speech!

As for our election, I have lived long enough to know that neither candidate can deliver what they promise in total, if at all. I know the federal, state, and local governments depend on taxes to provide services, and, if we want them, we have to pay. When the federal taxes are less, the burden falls on the state, then the local. So, we still end up paying. Throughout, families are trying to save for all of their future needs - the kid's education, major home improvements, retirement, and now it looks like medical savings.

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
by Mark5019 / September 26, 2004 1:02 AM PDT

im still waiting for my money from nigeria Grin

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) :-)
by Angeline Booher / September 26, 2004 2:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
by EdH / September 26, 2004 1:16 AM PDT

"When the federal taxes are less, the burden falls on the state, then the local. So, we still end up paying."

That is not necesarrily the case. In many cases (perhaps most) the overall tax burden has gone down or remained the same. At any rate, you have more influence on how your tax money is spent on the local and state level than on the federal.

I could happily live without most of the "services" "provided" by the federal govenment.

Collapse -
by Angeline Booher / September 26, 2004 2:08 AM PDT

You may live in an area that either has a larger or more affluent tax base.

Public schools in my part of the state are hard-strapped for money. They have dropped courses, cut sports programs, and staff. Sure, the taxpayers could approve local tax increases, but they are hurting, as well, with job losses and other economic stressors. Charities are down in contributions because folks don't have the disposable income they once had. Homeland Security measures (which I support) have siphoned money from public services like police and fire. Health care costs are rising, both to individuals and employers.

Just my take, but I trust the feds more than the state and locals with my money. Corruption (remember Huey Long?) crop up more often (not counting Halliburton Happy ) . My state's previous administration is under investigation as we speak. IMO, federal stuff is more closely scrutinized by each branch, the media, and individuals.

I'll give the locals one upside, though. They are closer to the population, so have a better insight into how the middle class lives.

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
by EdH / September 26, 2004 3:07 AM PDT

Well, I can't cite sources right now but I did see on one of the financial shows (possibly on fnCNN) that this is a nationwide phenomenon. People assume that dollar-for-dollar their local taxes go up as federal taxes go down. But they don't.

"...trust the feds more than the state and locals with my money." Yikes! is all I can say to that! I sure as heck don't. You'll never get near as much pork and waste on the local level.

Collapse -
The money has to come from somewhere...
by Mosonnow / September 26, 2004 2:41 AM PDT

is how I read Angeline's post. I.e. tax - effect - economy - prices - services - pocket money. This was easy when I did economics because it basically revolved around a closed economy.

As I say, with our election coming up next year, the words "hidden taxes" will be a total no-no in the respective parties' manifesto literature, but luckily we all have an economics degree, so we know about the real effects in a world economy.

PS Has anyone ever produced a jigsaw of a country's economy - you know, the "impossible" ones, which are printed both sides with one side rotated by 45 degrees? I'd challenge anyone to do that one....

Regards
Mo

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.