Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Just got XP

by Peru_Serv / January 30, 2012 10:51 PM PST

I bought a computer in 1999 and ran it happily for more than 10 years using Windows 98. However, nothing lasts forever and I eventually had to buy (recently) an AMD which has XP installed because some programs I need won't run under higher versions of WIndows.

So one of the first things I wanted to do was get StarCraft Broodwar running. So I dug out my old CDs to install it and lo and behold they were too scratched to be usable. Accordingly I downloaded the programs and installed them on my computer using the original serial numbers from my original CDs.

The download also came with a patch to update it to version 1.51 (I think) but the version on my computer is 1.62. Which files should I copy from the old computer to the new computer to bring it to the latest version or can I download the patch on a USB and take it home or how does that work?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Just got XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Just got XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It Seems Like You Need To Download/Install The 1.62 Patch
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 31, 2012 3:45 AM PST
In reply to: Just got XP

You should be able to find it on the internet. On a new computer, it's best to install such things using the CD or the downloadable installer.. Copying such files over from a separate computer usually doesn't get the job done correctly.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Could We Find Out Where to Get New PC with XP???
by lesliebuc / March 16, 2012 9:16 AM PDT

My XP I'm afraid is wearing out, and I for one would like to know where I could get a new one just like it. Don't know a thing about AMD. Have Compaq Presario.

Isn't anyone else interested in this for the future?

Collapse -
Not the best idea
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 17, 2012 9:49 PM PDT

to hijack other member's discussions, and even more so when the problem is not the same.

Create your own discussion.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!