TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Just got a Samsung HDTV and a PS3...what now???

by boilerfan1509 / February 18, 2008 3:31 AM PST

I just bought a Samsung 40" LN-T4061F and a PS3 system. I hook them up last night, but now I am wondering what do i need to do to configure/calibrate/update/anything else to improve/protect my stuff.

I have hooked them up and watched a movie and played some games, but I am reading alot about needing to have my tv calibrated.......is it REALLY worth the $300 bucks??? I know it is difference of opinions.

I dont have my internet or DirectTV setup yet,but both should be good by this weekend. ONce that happens, can I just setup my PS3 by plugging an Ethernet cord in the back???

If the stuff isnt plug it in and it works (like the old school, a/v cables) then I dont know how to do it.

Please let me know what else I should do to optimizes my purchases

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Just got a Samsung HDTV and a PS3...what now???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Just got a Samsung HDTV and a PS3...what now???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by givemeaname / February 18, 2008 4:48 AM PST
Collapse -
Surround Sound is next
by boilerfan1509 / February 18, 2008 5:03 AM PST
In reply to: .....

I have read that the Do It Yourself videos are a joke, and you could mess your tv up more if you do it that way. I would much rather pay only like $15 rather than $300, but i want to make sure they are easy and will actually help.

PS...the surround sound will be next, but i dont even know where to begin (I will start in about 3-4 months at the earliest)

Collapse -
it's not going to damage the tv..
by givemeaname / February 18, 2008 5:45 AM PST
In reply to: Surround Sound is next

If your not happy with the out come, hit the reset button & resell the disc to someone. Your tv is not that big & would not be worth spending $400 to have it calibrated, it would be better to put that money to the surround sound.
Most tv's now days have soo many things one can tweek them selves, a pro calibration is not needed unless one has a front projector.

Collapse -
great link giveme
by jostenmeat / February 18, 2008 5:18 AM PST
In reply to: .....

Thanks! I'll get around to ordering that shortly, and I hope I don't forget. I recently ordered Avia, if only for the LFE-only sweep that it contains. Bass Management is so damn elusive.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.