General discussion

Just got a Philips 42PF5321D/37 is the noise normal?

Help please!

I just got it out of the box, put it at its place, turned it on and there's this soft annoying sound that, apparently comes out of the screen (not the speakers). Is it normal? or should I ask for a refund?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Just got a Philips 42PF5321D/37 is the noise normal?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Just got a Philips 42PF5321D/37 is the noise normal?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Philips

Did you buy the TV from a local store or online? If online, that's why I personally hate buying electronics online just because I may have to ship it back. Not worth the $150 I might save. Anyways, if you bought it from a local store, do they have one on display and running? If so, go back and see if that set makes noise. I'd get a replacement or exchange it for something else. I couldn't find too many reviews, but read the two here: http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/Philips-42PF5321D-37-reviews.htm. Both state that picture quality is great, but both people have had problems and state that Philips' customer service is bad. Hmmmm....not a good sign. If my brand new TV made noise, I'd return it. Noise is not acceptable.

- Collapse -
New variable: Altitude

Thanks for your link, now that I've done a little more research I'm a little confused, maybe it's something about the altitude... I live near mexico city (mexico city altitude = 6,561.67979 ft) but I don't know the exact altitude of my town.

- Collapse -
mexico city altitude = 6,561.67979 ft????

Well two things, plasma sets have a cooling fan, this maybe what your are hearing.
The problem with plasma sets and high altitude is that the very small plasma tubes can break due low atmospheric pressure. I don't for sure what exactly how high this is. The best thing to do is contact Phillips and ask them. John

CNET Forums