Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

just erased vista and loaded xp need help

by stinnable / April 10, 2007 5:30 AM PDT

I have a sony vaio laptop model vgn-n220e and it came with vista which sucks by the way. I loaded xp pro on it and now i just need help finding drivers so i can get my power/battery settings back, wireless interent, sound so on, would really appreciated someone pointing me in the right direction

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: just erased vista and loaded xp need help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: just erased vista and loaded xp need help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Does this help?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 10, 2007 5:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
Sony's Website
by Heph_Of_IA / April 10, 2007 5:37 AM PDT

The best place to start would be Sony's website and search for your model's drivers.

Collapse -
You don't want to know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2007 5:49 AM PDT

There is a theory that if you could find this laptop -> http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/notebooks/0,39050490,39312781p,00.htm that you could extract its drivers with this tool -> http://www.xptools.net/driverbackup.htm

Sadly no one has been able to verify this since no one has been able to locate said laptop and get the deed done.

Sony has not issued drivers so my only other alternative would be to run BELARC ADVISOR to dissect what the machine is made of and hunt for drivers for the parts I found.

Sorry, this is a sad sad unit to try this one. I truly wish I had something better to write here. But there's one last hope.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/overview.mspx

Ok, that's piece number 1. See where we're going?

Part 2 at Vista ->Virtual PC -> XP Pro -> Internet from http://www.aspdeveloper.net/Virtual_PC/rn-739-45069_Vista_-Virtual_PC_-_XP_Pro_-_Internet.aspx

What a mess.

Sorry,

Bob

Collapse -
downgraded to XP on Sony SR290
by msdok / February 2, 2009 3:20 AM PST

the computer sees the camera plugged in when in windows; but camera is not seen when in the software program i downloaded for in the first place (software doesn't run with VISTA at all)

thanks for your help,

msdok

Collapse -
The camera in Vista issue is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2009 4:55 AM PST

Well discussed and many makers issued a new driver.

The nice thing about this one is you can make it a warranty issue!

Collapse -
drivers
by Amos16 / April 10, 2007 7:40 PM PDT

Hi - in addition to the others suggested you might try http://www.driverguide.com. Sometimes they accomplish what the others did not. Good luck - Amos

Collapse -
im screwed
by stinnable / April 11, 2007 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: drivers

all those drivers on sony website said vista must be installed but vista is so slow on the laptop and doesnt run very well at all. I have found the chipset,video, audio drivers. I cant seem to find any kind of drivers that would make my internet work wireless or wired and i cant find a driver to where i can mess with the battery settings (i.e power saving settings which would allow me to control the brightness. Also when i bought the laptop they didnt send me a vista recovery disk or anyhting so i dont even know how i would be able to load crappy vista back on. now i dont know what to do.
The four things I have a ? mark besides is the
1.ethernet controller
2. mass storage controller
3.pci device
4. and LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g PCI-E adapter has a ! by it

Collapse -
have you tried Belarc or Everest
by jonah jones / April 11, 2007 3:53 AM PDT
In reply to: im screwed
Collapse -
yes
by stinnable / April 12, 2007 12:01 AM PDT

thats how i listed the lan-express pci-e adapter, but i found the other driver that allows me to access the internet with an ethernet cable i just need the wireless driver for xp which i cant seem to find.

Collapse -
Take a chance.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2007 1:01 AM PDT
In reply to: yes

Since only you have the Everest details it's up to you to hunt it down. Look at the details in this discussion so far. Unless a member owned this one and had done this they wouldn't be able to contribute much.

The gritty details may be long to post but without it I can't research it since Sony is mum and others haven't posted the details.

Bob

Collapse -
Thank you all
by stinnable / April 12, 2007 12:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Take a chance.

I used that everest program and got all my internet stuff to work, even wireless, thanks for your help. Now i just have to find a way to adjust my screen brightness bc i could only do that with the sony utilities and that wont install bc it says i need vista but that is something i could live with . does anyone know of any program that can adjust my screen brrightness and im not talking about turning it up with the graphics card bc that just makes the screen whiter.

Collapse -
One sore noggin. But...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2007 12:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you all
Collapse -
Wireless Driver
by Nathanh42 / April 12, 2007 7:37 PM PDT

Where did you get the wireless driver from. I have the same exact laptop and cannot find the wireless driver (or the details on the wireless card).

Collapse -
the card
by stinnable / April 13, 2007 12:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Wireless Driver

the wireless card is an atheros ar5006x you can find that driver on the internet pretty easy. Do you know something i can download to make my screen brighter?

Collapse -
doesn't the monitor have a panel
by jonah jones / April 13, 2007 1:29 AM PDT
In reply to: the card

with brightness/contrast buttons?

Collapse -
nope
by stinnable / April 13, 2007 2:33 AM PDT

the fn button works for the sound and everything else BUT the brightness/contrast.

Collapse -
to echo Bob Proffitt
by jonah jones / April 13, 2007 6:32 PM PDT
In reply to: nope

"Since only you have the Everest details it's up to you to hunt it down"

i would suggest you post them and hope that someone will be able to help/advise you

jonah "vista free for ever" jones

Collapse -
Mass Storage Controller Driver and other VGN-N220E drivers
by socalsome1 / June 16, 2007 5:50 PM PDT

Thats probably the Memory Card reader, I have collected all the drivers I think but that brightness issue prevents me from installing. the memory card drivers are the Texas Instruments

Collapse -
Help to find more drivers
by thachngo / October 23, 2007 7:25 PM PDT

Hi,

I faced same problems on installing XP Pro SP2 on VGN-N220E. Further more, also following devices can not work:

PCI device
SM Bus Controller
Video Controller

Please help me correct it

Collapse -
sony xp help
by sguo6 / June 21, 2007 1:17 PM PDT

stinnable - I downloaded everest software and installed it. Can you advise how to do next? I have the same problem as you did (bought sony with vista, and it was very slow and I had to format it and install xp, now ethernet controller, PCI, drivers do not work).

Thanks in advance

Collapse -
brightness/contrast
by paseos07 / April 25, 2007 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: the card

well... have you tried to download and install the intel 945 chipset utilities?

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-020683.htm

you can adjust it by entering in the control panel and configuring the Intel GMA Driver for Mobile

i've made it with my vaio vgn-n230fh and it works!

good luck!...

Collapse -
driver xp need help
by marco11122 / April 27, 2007 5:55 PM PDT

hi, i have a sony vaio vgn-n21, i delete vista cause it's too slow, but i don't find the driver for the lan-express 802.11g, can you help me??

Collapse -
audio for windows xp
by ghassedak / May 21, 2007 12:39 AM PDT
In reply to: driver xp need help

i have a notebooke with this model: VGN-N230NE . and i want to instal aduio in windows xp not in vista, please help me how this is possible?
thanks.

Collapse -
frinkd = NO DONATIONS!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 9, 2007 11:39 AM PDT
In reply to: audio for windows xp

This is never allowed here. (see forum policies.)

frinkd wrote...

"I will be taken donations on my paypal account at ********@********.***)

Go to ***.******.*****

The login name is: ******************@yahoo.com
The password is: *********

The first couple of files (audio1,2,etc) are for the audio drives
The last few are for you network connections.. try the first of each first. But one of them should work.

For the ethernet port driver for sony.. try this link:

http://www.opendrivers.com/freedownload/234130/sony-vgn-sz-notebook-marvell-yukon-88e8036-pci-e-ethernet-driver-8.43.3.3-windows-2000-xp-download.html

Peace"

Collapse -
Where to find the drivers?
by everever / April 18, 2007 2:46 PM PDT
In reply to: im screwed

Hi, I have exactly the same problems as yours. Now i have installed the wireless driver and it did work. But I still have difficulty finding the motherboard, audio and video drivers. Could you give me some hints on where I should look for and what keywords I should use?

I have use the Everest to detect my hardware. The motherboard seems Intel 945GM/PM, but I could not find the appropriate driver. Hope you can help me. Thank you very much.

Collapse -
windows vista to windows xp
by Madhursh / May 24, 2007 4:31 AM PDT

I booted my system Vaio VGN-N250E rom Vista to XP Professional due to system slow down. After installing windows XP, my speakers, wireless, DVD RW and touch pad scroll are not working. Now I want to recover my Windows Vista back which is there in the hard disk as "recovery". What can I do to recover this Windows Vista. I am in a great trouble.
Please someone help me out.

Collapse -
click
by azle / July 3, 2007 6:19 AM PDT

restart your computer and push F10 while it starts up. that is your system recovery

Collapse -
Help me too!!!
by ellis296 / September 14, 2007 10:08 PM PDT

i just got a sony vaio vgn n32oe. had to downgrade to XPSP2 beacuse vista was running too slow for my liking. my sound,network card etc drivers dont seem to be there anymore.please help me find them.
model: sony vgn-n320e

Collapse -
Help me too!!!
by ellis296 / September 21, 2007 3:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Help me too!!!

i now have my dispaly and wireless drivers for my n320e. thnks alot guys. now have my sound and network adapter to find

Collapse -
winxp drivers for sony VGN-N320E
by lanre2000 / October 7, 2007 9:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Help me too!!!

Please i need winxp drivers for sony VGN-N320E.
your assistance will be appreciated, thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?