Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

just deleted a user account, and may have lost valuable file

by gooduser1 / January 14, 2009 12:49 AM PST

Big problem, if anyone can help.

in tweaking around w/ the user accounts, using start-run-"control userpasswords2", I deleted an account, forgetting that it was on that account that I had valuable files (1) on the desktop, and (2) in the emails and favorites. maybe other things as well that I'm just not thinking of right now.

any ideas whether / how it's possible to retrieve?
(even when I'm logged in as administrator now, and I try to click on the old user account's directory in windows explorer, it tells me that access is denied).

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: just deleted a user account, and may have lost valuable file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: just deleted a user account, and may have lost valuable file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you can see that directory/folder
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 14, 2009 1:19 AM PST

Then all may not be lost, although I'm surprised any folders are left after you have deleted an account. Be that as it may, this may just be a question of Taking Ownership;
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421

But beware, if others here say that to recover those files you need to stop writing to the hard disk and start using recovery utilities, then you may be writing to the disk in the meantime.

Mark

Collapse -
Looks like it worked
by gooduser1 / January 14, 2009 7:18 AM PST

Looks like it worked. I am greatly indebted to you, Mark.
Thank you *so* *much*.
Gooduser

Collapse -
Glad I could help
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 14, 2009 7:10 PM PST
In reply to: Looks like it worked

but I reckon you were lucky, Happy

Nice one though.

Mark

Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2009 1:37 AM PST
http://www.recuva.com/

But I'd pull the drive, install Recuva on that other machine and slave the drive or put it into some USB case during recovery so I don't write onto that drive.
Bob
Collapse -
thanks
by gooduser1 / January 14, 2009 7:21 AM PST
In reply to: Link, comment.

Sounds like the prudent thing to have done, even if I don't know how to have done it. Lucky for me Mark's ownership change worked for this situation.
Thanks.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!