Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Just curious about what US attitudes would be to the RCMP

by Ziks511 / October 5, 2006 9:23 AM PDT

conducting investigations in the United States without authorization from the US government.

That's what's happening here with the FBI, according to the FBI's own audit.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2006/10/05/fbi-border.html
"The most recent audit by the Federal Bureau of Investigation's inspector general, done in 2004, documents the growth of FBI operations in Canada since 2001.

"As well as the reference to "routine investigations" inside Canadian territory it also says that about 30 per cent of FBI agents crossing the border to work in Canada failed to get "country clearance." In other words, they didn't get Canada's approval.

"The inspector general's report documents 135 unapproved FBI crossings and says there is no sign the crossings will stop.

"Canadian officials say they have made no protest to the U.S. government about FBI agents operating without permission on Canadian soil.

"According to the report, the FBI has struggled to keep up with its Canadian workload despite opening two new branch offices. It pursues thousands of leads a year in Canada, far more than in any other country except the United States."

All investigators are supposed to get clearance from the Canadian Government via the US Embassy.

Somehow if this were Canada invading the US to carry out investigations I think it might be an international incident, given the hostility of the Bush Administration.

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Just curious about what US attitudes would be to the RCMP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Just curious about what US attitudes would be to the RCMP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe Canadas
by Glenda / October 5, 2006 9:30 AM PDT

border guards should do their jobs better? The FBI isn't sneaking in are they??? LOL

Collapse -
waht and have to take a stand
by Mark5019 / October 5, 2006 9:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe Canadas

they guard as well as best un armed men can you know they only walked off the job when they heard armed thugs in there area:)

Collapse -
Depends on what they say to the question "What's your reason
by Ziks511 / October 5, 2006 9:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe Canadas

for visiting Canada". If they say "We're investigating a fugitive or a terrorism suspect" then it's the border guards' fault, if they say "We're here to look at the leaves" then its the agents' fault for misrepresenting themselves. The point is they know they're supposed to get clearance but chose not to, apparently because like so many Americans they think that Canada is just USA Lite, which just ain't the truth. You think they sneak across the border into Mexico the same way? I doubt it.

Rob

Collapse -
why rob
by Mark5019 / October 5, 2006 10:05 AM PDT

candadas not usa lite

were free

Collapse -
So is Candada Mark, ask anybody who has been here.
by Ziks511 / October 7, 2006 9:57 AM PDT
In reply to: why rob

In fact Canadians generally have a better turn out at their elections than the US does which should mean they are even more free because their government is that much more representative. There are also more parties to vote for which gives everyone a voice.

In fact, as you can tell from the killings at Dawson College, you can own assault weapons here just as you can in the United States, and go on a rampage too. That's one thing I wish the Canadians had legislated against.

Rob

Collapse -
after appease the muslums
by Mark5019 / October 7, 2006 11:34 AM PDT

you best keep the guns

Collapse -
You know nothing of what goes on here. And you're wrong
by Ziks511 / October 7, 2006 12:55 PM PDT

There is no appeasing the Muslims, their case was denied by both the Ontario and Canadian Supreme Courts. Suggest you check your facts before venturing into foreign territory.

Rob

Collapse -
why your history
by Mark5019 / October 7, 2006 1:02 PM PDT

of correct facts lack more credibility as saying saddam was a gentle ruler.

and as to "foreign territory" has stopped you remember im in american your a ex and candas stuck with you

Collapse -
Take your own advice Rob!
by Glenda / October 7, 2006 1:05 PM PDT

Your "facts" are always wrong or slanted to your warped viewpoint! Why not answer Tom's post he has some REAL facts for you, But I noticed you have ignored that one!

Collapse -
well we know rob
by Mark5019 / October 7, 2006 1:06 PM PDT

whats facts got to do with it:)

Collapse -
Are you making fun of Mark?????...
by Jack Ammann / October 7, 2006 5:49 PM PDT

...Why don't you just keep your nose out of American politics...especially with your incessant acid mouth. You claim to be an American with dual citizenship, but I seriously doubt that. You deserted and abandoned this country for some reason. Tell us what it is. That would certainly enhance your credibility. Maybe you could talk about the politics of Antarctica.

Collapse -
That is just too funny!!
by Glenda / October 5, 2006 10:06 AM PDT

You think Mexican illegals should be allowed to live and work in the USA even tho some are drug dealers and coyotes smuggling humans, BUT you OBJECT to law officers entering Canada??? OK Rob! LMAO!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) SI SI
by Mark5019 / October 5, 2006 1:08 PM PDT
Collapse -
I object to law officers breaking the law, Glenda.
by Ziks511 / October 7, 2006 10:07 AM PDT

The illegals are already there in the US, it's a question of what you're going to do with them. Either you're going to uproot families, deny children born in the US their birthright as has been customary for a couple of hundred years, and get rid of a willing work force, or you're going to figure out how to get along with them. Why not put them to work on that fence that's supposed to keep out all the other ravening hordes of Mexicans wanting to come north and pollute the purity of the American people. So much for "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free", there's nothing like killing the policy that made America great.

And as noted, the question is what are the FBI doing in Canada in the first place? We've already had one Canadian kidnapped by American agents and sent to Syria for a year to be tortured for no reason, only to be found absolutely innocent of any hint of shady contacts.

Just have the FBI follow the rules. This is an entirely new post Bush occurrence, and it looks like policy rather than carelessness.

Rob

Collapse -
According to your own article ...
by Evie / October 7, 2006 10:09 AM PDT

... both in the TITLE and IN THE OPENING PARAGRAPH, it clearly states that no laws were broken.

Collapse -
Okay, international understandings then. No matter how you
by Ziks511 / October 7, 2006 12:58 PM PDT

slice it its a pretty contemptuous (and in my view contemptible) thing to do and the question still stands: How would Americans feel if law enforcement from any other country were sneaking into the United States for whatever reason in violation of agreements to inform the US of their presence before they enter? I still haven't seen an answer.

Rob

Collapse -
and if your gov said its ok
by Mark5019 / October 7, 2006 1:07 PM PDT

are are you speaking for them ?
god save the queen eh:)

Collapse -
Canadians do speak English ...
by Evie / October 7, 2006 1:20 PM PDT

... so there shouldn't be a problem of "international understanding".

AGAIN, from YOUR own article: "We have teams that are designated going back and forth across the border and sometimes it is farther than 50 miles or 50 kilometres," Day said.

Day is a Canadian, so the "WE" referred to can either be interpreted as Canada or Canada & the US, but not just the US -- that would be "they".

So as contemptuous and comtemptable as you think it is, the Canadian law enforcement has been coming into the US for a while and none of us seem to have any problem with it.

Find another bee in your bonnett to troll over Sad

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Just one time Rob,Get your facts straight!
by Glenda / October 7, 2006 10:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) that will be the day:)
by Mark5019 / October 7, 2006 11:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
Let me answer just one line from you, Rob.......
by Glenda / October 7, 2006 1:13 PM PDT

This one:
"Mexicans wanting to come north and pollute the purity of the American people."

In case you don't know, Five of my Grandchildren are half Mexican! So take that insult and hide it from the sun!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It's not? I thought we won Canada during the War of 1812.
by Kiddpeat / October 5, 2006 1:55 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Nah, found it in a box of Cracker Jacks.
by Ziks511 / October 7, 2006 10:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
Manpower
by marinetbryant / October 5, 2006 10:00 AM PDT

Lack of police manpower in five-year-old Turner Valley murder case creates frustration.

http://www.westernwheel.com/020116/index.html

?RCMP participates in FBI operation targeting software piracy; Canada one of 11 countries involved outside the United States.? RCMP Press Release. June 30, 2005

The RCMP failed to pursue more than a third of the money-laundering tips passed on by the Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre (FINTRAC), largely because the force lacked the manpower, according to an internal Fintrac report.

http://www.yorku.ca/nathanson/CurrentEvents/2005_Q2.htm#ML

On the issue of violent crime, the RCMP really needs to re asess its priorities in this city. The raid of Seymour Arm, which netted some marijuana plants, was the focus of an intense, multi million dollar investigation involving 150 police officers at its height.

Logic would dictate that if the RCMP spent this amount of money and manpower investigating some hippies growing some pot, they would have at least 600 police officers and ten million dollars investigating the various and numerous unsolved murder cases piling up in this city. I would be suprised if more than one full time officer was assigned to any one of the particular unsolved murders of sex trade workers in this city.

http://www.yourkamloops.com/2006/01/give_input_to_k.html

They can't investigate their own crimes and tips because of manpower shortages, so I would guess it's a wink and a nod on both sides of the fence.

Tom

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What does Bush have to do with this latest US bash?
by Evie / October 5, 2006 1:23 PM PDT
Collapse -
Nothing. I think there's a full moon...
by EdH / October 5, 2006 1:26 PM PDT

I hear barking and I know my dog is asleep...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) There is here.
by Kiddpeat / October 5, 2006 1:56 PM PDT
Collapse -
1. Not a bash, a question. 2. It has only occurred since
by Ziks511 / October 7, 2006 1:05 PM PDT

the little Bush's Presidency which is suggestive but not conclusive of anything, and I drew no conclusion, just pointed out that there was a time frame coincidence. You guys are the ones leaping to conclusions. I'd have thought that you'd suck it up and admit that the US would be incensed that the RCMP or the Special Branch of the Metropolitan Police in London were wandering around the US without informing the DOJ or any other relevant authorities. Apparently you don't feel comfortable with the question.

Rob

Collapse -
Stop bashing our President and the USA
by Glenda / October 7, 2006 1:09 PM PDT

and you might get a decent conversation! Don't even try saying you are clueless as to why you rile up half the board!

Collapse -
well as to them coming here
by Mark5019 / October 7, 2006 1:10 PM PDT

they might run into an armed person as the last time they heard armed convicts were coming your way your guards ran.
but then if your bash looked in your eye non American you wouldn't understand it

but if your rmc wants to come down here and really help im all for it as they could learn something

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!