Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Just curious about 2 things:

by mikeysmessage48 / August 15, 2014 6:19 AM PDT

1. What does removing the battery and putting it back in do on a laptop that powered on but had a black screen before I did that. After I removed the battery and put it back in, it booted right up. Just would like to know why?

2. Should you leave the Power Cord connected to a laptop after it has been shut down?

I would appreciate it if anyone could answer these questions for me. Thanks,

MIKEY

mikeysmessage48 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Just curious about 2 things:
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Just curious about 2 things:
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by mikeysmessage48

Collapse -
1. Not a good idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2014 6:23 AM PDT

In fact any maker should void the warranty for that alone. It's NOT safe, you took the risk and now want to know why it worked? Count your blessings it did and didn't just burn out.

2. YOUR CHOICE. A good machine can handle it either way.
Bob

Collapse -
What's wrong ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 15, 2014 6:29 AM PDT
In reply to: 1. Not a good idea.

with removing the battery when the laptop is turned off (that's how I read this post). Did you interpret it otherwise?

Kees

Collapse -
That's the way I read it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2014 6:38 AM PDT
In reply to: What's wrong ...

I've seen folk do that and I cringe each time.

Collapse -
Hi Kees
by mikeysmessage48 / August 17, 2014 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: What's wrong ...

Hi Kees,

Yes, I did remove it when the power was OFF?? Perhaps Mr. Proffitt misunderstood my question, or, I mis-phrased it. Thank you, Kees, for your kindness in taking the time to reply.

MIKEY

Collapse -
THANKS MR PROFFITT
by mikeysmessage48 / August 15, 2014 6:32 AM PDT
In reply to: 1. Not a good idea.

Thanks for the info, Mr. Proffitt. I didn't know that removing a battery could void the warranty. Thanks again for your kind response.

MIKEY

Collapse -
Removing a battery when the power is on
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2014 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: THANKS MR PROFFITT

Is just a bad idea. However there is a little known reset where we power down, remove the charger and then the battery along with a button push that has brought back many laptops. That is some reset that some laptops have and is not well documented. However good techs all over know about that.
Bob

Collapse -
Hi Mr. Proffitt
by mikeysmessage48 / August 17, 2014 1:16 AM PDT

I'm sorry, perhaps I just mis-phrased my question. The power had been turned OFF on the computer, as wellas, I had removed the power cord from the computer before removing the battery, BEFORE I removed the battery.
Thanks again for following up on my question. You are always so kind to help whenever I have a problem or question. CNet is the Only forum I use and your input always seems to be helpful.

MIKEY

Collapse -
Thanks for understanding.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 17, 2014 1:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Mr. Proffitt

Good to read that it was not what I thought it was.

There are circuits that are powered via mains or battery that turn on the entire PC or laptop. These are hopefully robust but once in a while you encounter a wonky unit. You try the usual reset (which is noted in the CNET Laptop Troubleshooting welcome post) and hope the issue is cleared up.

However if this laptop is off and powers up when you slip in the battery it sounds like the old BIOS setting of "Resume on Power." There are thousands of PCs out there and many share BIOS from a few sources so this feature is in many PCs. Here's a link on that but it does not mean this laptop has that feature but given how hard it is to find custom BIOS coders today and all the patent issues, my bet is on this feature. It may not show in any menu but I'd take bet the code is in there.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Automatically-Shut-down-and-Power-up-your-computer/ notes this.
Bob

Collapse -
Laptop Battery
by mikeysmessage48 / August 17, 2014 9:44 PM PDT

Hi Bob,

Once again, many Thanks for the thorough input and for your kindness in helping me. Seems I can Always depend on You for help whenever I need it. Have a Wonderful Day!

MIKEY

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.