General discussion

Just curious ...

Sep 18, 2005 9:15AM PDT

... if I were to sign up here as Laqueesha Jones and post in an ebonics style that was in some ways deliberately mocking of blacks, wouldn't that violate the TOS even if the majority of my posts were otherwise marginally acceptable?

Evie Confused

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Just curious ...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Just curious ...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I would say yes..
Sep 18, 2005 9:42AM PDT

If I remember right, something like this was discussed a while back when posts where being made in code or some kind of foreign lingo. It was determined that is a n English speaking forum and all replies would be made in English. I would imagine that includes ebonics style too.??? or mocking of other nationalities etc.. But, I think jokes are OK Happy

George

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Why do you ask? What did I miss?
Sep 18, 2005 9:53AM PDT
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Surely you haven't missed our recent "Greek" member?
Sep 18, 2005 10:02AM PDT
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You think that's Greek?!?!?
Sep 18, 2005 10:13AM PDT
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) The one named after a moon of Mars?
Sep 18, 2005 10:17AM PDT
- Collapse -
Evie says ...
Sep 18, 2005 10:19AM PDT

... now you're catching on Devil

Evie is just observing. I hope that is OK!

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
Clue me in, what are you suggesting? an
Sep 18, 2005 10:20AM PDT

undercover troll?

- Collapse -
Yes ...
Sep 18, 2005 10:23AM PDT

... and my point is if such a troll were by their actions mocking a "protected group" with their membership and posting style, it would/should be a TOS violation. This should be as well IMO.

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
But rather than
Sep 18, 2005 10:34AM PDT

expose that person, I find it is more fun to play along when you know the truth

- Collapse -
My point was not to expose anyone ...
Sep 18, 2005 10:43AM PDT

... this troll is, and has always been, pretty obvious -- to the point of almost deliberately posting questions known to be his areas of interest.

I do think that if someone speaks deliberately broken English on here or adopts a posting style that is mocking of a group of people it should be considered equal to other trolling and baiting behavior.

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
Agreed, it probably is a TOS violation, but ...
Sep 18, 2005 11:10AM PDT

Dr. Osler isn't sure he has identified this particular offender, since literary analysis is not one of Dr. Osler's skills, but Dr. Osler thinks it's not worth fooling with.

Dr. Osler's suspicion is that all of us have spent too much time ferreting out the MPDs/Trolls/whatever.

But then Dr. Osler has been wrong about many things before.

- Collapse -
Dr. Osler,
Sep 18, 2005 11:28AM PDT

It hurts when I do this ......

- Collapse -
Then don't do that! ...
Sep 18, 2005 12:29PM PDT

One of my classmates had a patient who carefully described for her the various shooting pains he experienced when he touched his electrified fence and how the pains varied depending on what part of his body touched the fence.

She pointed out to the patient that maybe he should just stop touching the fence.

I'm still amazed at some of the things people do!

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) WIll I be able to play the piano?
Sep 18, 2005 12:52PM PDT
- Collapse -
As I said ...
Sep 18, 2005 10:54PM PDT

... ferreting out the troll wasn't the purpose of this thread. Some of the personas range from offensive to merely insulting to the membership. But there's nothing to be done with them.

Evie says Dr. Osler is right Happy

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
I didn't connect it to any ethnic group or style...
Sep 18, 2005 11:00AM PDT

And if I told you what I thought about him/her/it Iwould probably be violating the TOS!

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) My only connection was the nationality of the name
Sep 18, 2005 11:02AM PDT
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) fashizzle ma nizzle
Sep 18, 2005 12:42PM PDT
- Collapse -
entire thread is bashing!
Sep 18, 2005 9:55PM PDT

if you can't stand deimos' way of writing at least have the decency to email him personally instead of trying to create a bashing, hateful, flaming,non tolerant,baiting thread.great example of zero tolerance! at least deimos thinks that.

deimos hopes this thread is not only locked,but also deleted too and will not post anything else in it. the level is too low and probably hit a pipeline of some sort.

- Collapse -
Deimos needs a sense of humor
Sep 18, 2005 10:05PM PDT

Did you think your way of writing would not cause comments?

- Collapse -
Why does demios
Sep 18, 2005 10:35PM PDT

refer to him/herself in the third person?

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Maybe he's a Bob Dole fan?
Sep 18, 2005 10:43PM PDT

CNET Forums

Forum Info