Computer Help forum

General discussion

Just built a new computer; having some issues.

by FaintDeftone / August 12, 2010 11:57 AM PDT

Hey guys, I just built a new computer and this happens to be the first time I've ever done it. So let me tell ya guys whats happening.

I built a PC with an ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO motherboard, an AMD Athlon II triple core processor (3ghz), 4gb of DDR3 memory, and a 512mb ATI Radeon HD 4350 video card. I hooked up the system and everything went smooth (as far as I know). The problem is that I don't have a 64bit OS yet and am currently running Vista 32bit (which won't let me use all of my memory unfortunately). So here is where the issues come in:

I installed Vista on the machine and everything seems to run goofy. Sometimes Vista runs fine but other times the mouse cursor gets really laggy and things slow down a bit. I have another computer that is a single core Pentium 4 with 2 gigs of ram and it runs Vista better than this machine does! Something just seems very wrong here and I'm unsure what to do. The more processes running, the worse it seems to get; however, it seems to be the mouse that is affected by it. If I use the keyboard to browse Windows while the mouse cursor is acting up, everything seems okay. I've already ruled out the mouse driver.

Two things come to mind with this issue. First off, could the fact that I'm running a triple core processor and 4gb of memory without a 64bit OS be causing the problem? Maybe Vista 32bit just isn't properly compatible with my hardware?

Second, I'm running a 300watt power supply. This PSU is the only spare one I had so I threw it in there for the time being. The motherboard manual states that I should have a 300watt minimum, yet the video card says I should have at least 350watt. I'm only running one hard drive and one DVD-Rom drive though. Could maybe the lack of wattage in the PSU be causing this?

If none of these ideas are accurate, can anybody suggest what I may be doing wrong? It sucks that I spent all of this money to built this computer and Windows is running all wonky. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Just built a new computer; having some issues.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Just built a new computer; having some issues.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
new computer issues
by andybaber2000 / August 14, 2010 11:27 AM PDT

OK you have a 300W PSU and video card wants 350. Sounds like a power problem. Try taking out your video card and using the OB video and see if that works. If it does then you know it is the PSU. I am sure it is not that you have 4gig memory on a 32 bit system, as that is what I have until I get my 64 bit Win 7. Hope this helps. Wink

Collapse -
Alrighty...
by FaintDeftone / August 14, 2010 2:55 PM PDT
In reply to: new computer issues

I bought and installed a 430watt PSU and that still didn't help the issue, yet my mouse cursor is still jumpy and things are acting weird. I even had my PS2 port fail and my keyboard not work for a little while too, which is strange. I'm not sure if it is my mouse, my OS, or my motherboard.

I'm going to do some more experiments and research on this. I'm going to try to revert back to XP and see if that helps. Do you guys think that my onboard video could be conflicting with my PCI-E video and causing goofy issues like this? I'm pretty sure I disabled the onboard video but there are a lot of strange options that I don't understand in there.

I appreciate the help guys.

Collapse -
power
by SvenStation / August 14, 2010 12:04 PM PDT

windows 32-bit will only use up to 3GB ram; also, I would get a bigger
power supply, they're pretty affordable these days. Then, I would revert back to XP if you still have the XP disk. Most people agree that XP is way better than Vista.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?