TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Just bought a new Plasma tv. I got a couple of questions.

by Behindthescenes / November 15, 2006 5:45 PM PST

I just bought a Panasonic TH-42PX60U. I got a really good deal. Fry's were selling them for $1290.99 and Best buy did a price match. I read that the first 100 hrs keep the contrast ratio down to 50 percent or so and leave it in full screen. How good is the contrast ratio at 50 percent? Second I have a DVR. Will I have any problems fast forwarding through commercials? Will it create problems like getting burn ins or ghotsing? Did any of you fellas that own a plasma and fast forward through shows or DVD movies get any type of problems? Any other suggestions would be great. Also on this link http://plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/panasonic-th42px60u-review.html

It talks about ISF calibrations. What does that mean and is that a good setting to BREAK IN my plasma? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Just bought a new Plasma tv. I got a couple of questions.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Just bought a new Plasma tv. I got a couple of questions.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well
by dukelover79 / November 15, 2006 11:51 PM PST

I don't have answers to your questions, but I have a question about Best Buy and Fry's. Did Best Buy price match based on the online price? Just curious because I thought they didn't do that, but if they do that would be great.

Collapse -
re: plasma
by Behindthescenes / November 16, 2006 9:21 AM PST
In reply to: Well

It was a in store sale by fry's. It was a early door buster sale. My buddy told me that someone told him that fry's was having this sale. I asked best buy if they price matched. They said yes.

Collapse -
First thing to do is to read the owners book!!!!!!!
by jcrobso / November 15, 2006 11:55 PM PST

Burn in is caused by leaving a static image on the screen for long, long periods of time!!!!
A plasma is more sensitive to this during the first 100 hours. That's why you ONLY view full screen during this time.
Follow the recommendations on the link you have!!!
After the first 100 hours you may want to get Digital Video Essentials
http://www.dvdinternational.com/cat_digital.cfm?gclid=COvZ_L7zy4gCFQYVHgod2npSLA
OR from Amazon.com. There is also one from Avid.
They will guide you through getting the best setting for YOUR HDTV, the factory settings are just ballpark. John

Collapse -
Congrats on Your Purchase
by NewsyL / November 16, 2006 1:31 AM PST

What a great deal you got. I bought the same TV the first week of August. Prices have sure come down since then.

First thing you do with your TV is get the picture setting out of "Vivid" mode. That is the default the TV is shipped with and most people swear it is a deliberate setting to have the brightest screen possible for display in stores.

Set it to "Standard" and then use something like this:

Picture ............ 0 << this is your CONTRAST level
Brightness ......... 0
Color .............. -4
Tint ............... -6
Sharpness -14
Enhanced Black Level Off << maybe only applicable for external inputs

After 100 hours:

Picture ............ +6
Brightness ......... 0

Some people swear by:

Picture ............ +22
Brightness ......... +8

But I personally would have to wear sunglasses to watch it at those levels.

However, for daytime viewing with ambient light spilling into the room I use the "Vivid" mode but tweaked as such:

Picture ............ +12
Brightness ......... +4

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!