Samsung forum

General discussion

Just bought a LED series 7, had some questions

by acidragon / July 3, 2009 11:29 AM PDT

Hey guys, well just picked up a LED series 7 46" and had a few questions and comments... First off my old sony wega rear projection which was awesome until a red shadow started appearing on the bottom after 2 1/2 years of light use. So that totally turned me off to sony, also it seemed like everyone was having similar problems with that model, horrible. So I decided to go for the newest tech the LED! Picture is more than I expected, clarity, color, etc. Its a joy to watch!!! Motionflow so far is not working for me. It looks like those movies where they add in special effects and its so bad and obvious its fake motion. Anyone else agree?

I did read a bunch of reviews before I purchased the set... it seemed like everyone was complaining about the sound quality... how were people giving it a 3/5 stars for sound??? My old tube tv has better sound quality!!! Its like I have the tv in a bathroom. But here in lies my question. I opted to just play the sound from my 5.1 sound system but the voice and picture dont match up, theres a lag. Is there a way to tune this through the tv so i can match it up? (my current setup is 3 monster component wires to tv from cable box and optical from cable box to sound system)

Also is the only difference between the series 6 and series 7, the internet connection? Is the 200 or so dollar difference worth it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Just bought a LED series 7, had some questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Just bought a LED series 7, had some questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just bought a LED series 7, had some questions
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 3, 2009 2:24 PM PDT

acidragon,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the feedback.

The AutoMotion Plus technology can be adjusted so that it doesn't seem so "fake motion"ish. The processing is adding picture that doesn't exist, and for really good resolution, the processing can almost be "too much". For resolutions that aren't so good, the additional processing does make a difference. The good news is that the AutoMotion Plus technology is input specific, so if you like it "OFF" on the inputs that are causing the additional motion, but you like it on "Medium" for DVD or Blu-Ray, then you can set those in the television.

AutoMotion Plus can be off, but the television will still do the necessary upconversion to 120Hz, because the panel is a 120Hz panel. Just the additional processing will be removed.

As far as the sound quality, you're probably right. Your old CRT speakers may have sounded better. CRTs were also notorious for being thick and having additional room in the front of the bezel. In keeping with the design of a flatpanel, there is only so much "speaker" that can be added to the panel to keep it slim and stay in line with the style.

The lip sync issue, from what I know, can't be tuned in the television. But what you're seeing is probably due to the digital signal and component wiring. Let me explain:

1. Component is analog. If the incoming signal is digital, it has to be converted to analog to transfer through the component wires, and then converted back to digital.

2. The optical audio cable is digital. Digital will pass straight through without the processing that the picture has to go through.

I'll bet you'd see the delay reduced or eliminated with a digital signal from the cable box to the television for the picture.

Additionally, some boxes may have the ability to create a delay, and you might also check your surround sound system to see if there is an option there as well.

--HDTech

Collapse -
hmm
by acidragon / July 3, 2009 4:04 PM PDT

hmm thats very interesting... So when people say hdmi and component are one in the same they are wrong? I will try to switch over to an hdmi cable and see if it fixes the problem.

Now as far as all this conversion from digital to analog back to digital; does that effect the picture quality or the performance of the television?

Also the sales manager at the store was trying to sell me a thick hdmi cable (10.2 hz or something) and he was saying go as thick as you can. However, the manual says no more than .55 inch thickness. What is the story with that? Less is more or more is more?

Yes I suppose for the set being so thin I guess you would lose out on certain things like sound... If I can get the picture and voice to sync up with my sound system, it will well be worth the sacrifice for the picture quality is superb! Too bad I have it setup in a corner spot, would be nice to see it hung on a wall...

Collapse -
in addition
by acidragon / July 3, 2009 4:07 PM PDT
In reply to: hmm

Also is the only difference between the series 6 and series 7, the internet connection?

Collapse -
in addition
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 4, 2009 7:48 AM PDT
In reply to: in addition

acidragon,

Ahh yes. I forgot. Grin

Speaking on the 2009 LCDs:

The 7 Series has a better Dynamic Contrast Ratio rating, as well as 240Hz processing for the LCDs.

The 650 Series and up does have the internet capabilities on the 40" and above, the 7-Series has it on all sizes.

Hope that helps.

--HDTech

Collapse -
HDMI
by xgolferx / July 4, 2009 1:35 AM PDT

Buy the least expensive HDMI cable you can find. Stay away from the Monster brand as they are way overpriced. Go on to CNET.com and do a search for HDMI. You should find an article about HDMI cables. An excellent place to buy cables is thru monoprice.com. You can get an 8ft. HDMI 1.3a cable for about $9.

Collapse -
hmm
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 4, 2009 7:42 AM PDT

acidragon,

Well, when people say that "you want to go with HDMI or component", what they're saying is that these are the only cables that have the ability to transmit a HD signal. (DVI does also, but it was replaced with HDMI to include audio and video in the same cable.) Both deliver HD, and a good picture, so they are often associated together as "the best" rather than seperated on their merits.

The converstion from digital to analog to digital vs. digital straight through can produce some picture degredation.

It's sort of like:

Copying a CD to a cassette and copying that cassette to a blank CD
vs.
Copying a CD to a blank CD.

Except that with the television, there is also picture processing to clean up the transfer and improve overall picture quality even with the analog conversion. Even so, it's logical that the digital signal straight through produces the best available signal.

I agree with the cheap cables theory. HDMI will either work, work intermittently, or won't work at all, and some people have reported positively with the cheaper cables. Since the singal inside is transferred digitally (1's and 0's instead of wavelengths), thickness of the shield is less important, and is less succeptible than analog cables to interference. Some cables even have a 120Hz rating (I think that's what you were getting pitched), which is interesting, since there are no 120hz sources available today.

The manual is referring to the thickness of the actual connection. Since the back of the panel is flat, the thickness of the connection needs to be subtle. Otherwise, it won't physically fit into the connection on the television. In short, you don't want a cable with too thick of a neck that slides in sideways on the back of the TV.

Does that help?

--HDTech

Collapse -
got new box
by acidragon / July 5, 2009 7:50 AM PDT

Yes that does make it more understandable...

So I went to get a new cable box with the hdmi output. They gave me a samsung box no less Happy I hooked it up with "hdmi" from cable box to tv and "digital audio out" from cable box to sound system. However, it still got the delay and echo. I ended up doing hdmi from cable box to tv, then optical out from tv to sound system. That seemed to fix the echo.

Now my question is does channeling the sound from the cable box to the tv then to the sound system lower the sound quality or can it damage the television set it any way?

Collapse -
got new box
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 5, 2009 1:56 PM PDT
In reply to: got new box

acidragon,

No damage at all. It will not transfer the 5.1 audio through to the receiver, but will drop it down to 2.0 (or 2.1), so from what I can tell, you're forfeitting the surround sound.

You'll get the echo because the television speakers are analog, and the audio out for the receiver is digital. You're better off using one or the other.

Try turning down the sound on your television, hooking the optical from the cable box to the receiver and see if that doesn't fix the delay.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by acidragon / July 6, 2009 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: got new box

Yeah I had initally turned off the sound to the tv all together and just used my sound system to trasmit the sound but you can notice that the picture and sound were off. Im not sure what more I can do to have it work right!!! So the tv set I have (LED 46" 7 series) is analog sound?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 6, 2009 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: .

acidragon,

The speakers on the television are analog speakers, yes. It will convert a digital audio signal, or take an analog signal.

--HDTech

Collapse -
new sound system?
by acidragon / July 6, 2009 8:51 AM PDT
In reply to: .

is there anything i can buy to fix the echo while still being able to receive digital sound ? I dont mind spending a few bucks to fix this problem. also im not sure if the sound coming out of the sound system, is before or after the sound coming out of the tv.

Collapse -
coaxial ?
by acidragon / July 6, 2009 11:36 AM PDT
In reply to: new sound system?

also is it ok to go from "digital audio out" to a "coaxial input" in the receiver? Thank you for all your help thus far!

Collapse -
coaxial ?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 6, 2009 4:27 PM PDT
In reply to: coaxial ?

acidragon,

I'm looking into your previous question. I'm just not sure why that's happening, so I'm gonna see if one of our techs know.

How would you go from digital audio to coax? I don't think that kind of cable exists, or did I misinterpret your question?

--HDTech

Collapse -
connection
by acidragon / July 7, 2009 5:33 AM PDT

The back of the cable box has a "digital audio out" so i put a gold plated high def audio cable in that and the other end is fed into a female coaxial "in" on my sound system (orange). The cable is similar in apperence to a component cable but only one cable. So my question was that sound does go through with this connection but is it correct? What is coaxial used for? ty

Collapse -
coaxial ?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 7, 2009 4:11 AM PDT

acidragon,

There are some postings (and suggestions) to help alleviate some of the sync issues that I wasn't even aware of.

Here is a link that should help. Let me know if this helps.

http://tinyurl.com/SamsungAudioSyncHelp

--HDTech

Collapse -
Sync Issues On my series 7
by JBSeries7 / November 3, 2009 1:10 PM PST

Hi

I recently purchased a 40inch series 7 LED as well and the audio sync issue is driving me crazy.

I have set up my system so my DVD player connects via RCA audio and Composite Video (ie the red,white and yellow cables) to my sound system and my sound system then connects these three RCA connectors to the AV in of my TV. The audio out of my sound system is delayed a enough to be noticable - but when playing only through the TV speakers the DVD audio is in synch (even when passing the signal through the sound system!!).

I have had the same problem with both my Technics home theatre system and my Boss 2.1 system..

PLEASE HELP!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?