Computer Help forum

General discussion

just another person with major computer problems

I have built a new computer and of course having problems, I need help. I have Asus P5E3 premium motherboard, Intel QX9650 cpu, Corsair TwinX PCI DDR3 1800 Mhz memory, 2-1024 modules, Asus EN8800GT graphics card, Asus Xonar D2X sound card, WD 300gb VelociRaptor harddrive, and Windows XP Pro. The power supply is a new 1000W unit. I'm using AVG for anti-virus and ThreatFire for all the rest. I have already changed out the motherboard and CPU once, wiped my harddrive clean and restarted once, but still the same thing.

The problem is my computer seems as if it can't think fast enough when an operation is going on. It will lock up and I have to reboot it, sometimes twice. Then it's OK. Even when Microsoft is sending updates, it doesn't seem to recognize it at first, reboot again. I've even had to go back to System Restore a few times for it to work correctly. Sometimes after rebooting, it won't recognize, or open items I have had on my desktop. Reboot again and it will be fine. And, it's not on a specific program or item, it's random. One time it's email, next it I.E., next time it's something else.

Could it be the Corsair memory modules? That's about the only thing I haven't replaced. I can always reboot or use System Restore, but this is ridiculous.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: just another person with major computer problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: just another person with major computer problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That hard lock is telling me

In reply to: just another person with major computer problems

There is some issue here with drivers or even an out of date BIOS. Can't count the times this is it. But your post doesn't tell the details so share with us the BIOS revision and how you know you have all 10 drivers for XP.
Bob

Collapse -
that hard lock is telling me......

In reply to: That hard lock is telling me

The motherboard BIOS is what came with it, I haven't updated it yet. It's version 0151. As far as the 10 drivers for XP, how do I check that?

Collapse -
I'll look at the bios version when I come back. Here...

In reply to: that hard lock is telling me......

Collapse -
10 drivers needed

In reply to: I'll look at the bios version when I come back. Here...

As far as I can tell, I have all the drivers needed to run my system. As I've said, everything will be fine then BAM. It's like it gets confused as to what it's supposed to be doing. Reboot and most of the time it's fine.

Collapse -
Looking at BIOS Version 1004.

In reply to: just another person with major computer problems

"BIOS update file for P5E3 (Version 1002)
1.Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
2.Fix Certain Conroe CPU couldn't resum from S3 issue.
3.Enhance compatibility with certain DDR3-1600 memory module.
4.Fix CPU temperature showed in BIOS is too low."

Sounds important to me to have the best chance of memory module and more compatibility.

-> Sorry if this sounds crass but as the system builder you are on the hook to know your system down to the BIOS version and make an install plan for the OS. I'll point out the usuals but you need to take command here. If it fails after this we look at P2P use which is rife with that trojan issue...
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry. Link for bios.

In reply to: Looking at BIOS Version 1004.

Collapse -
long lost BIOS for my motherboard

In reply to: Looking at BIOS Version 1004.

The BIOS is now updated. All of my other drivers were already updated. I'll let you know when I have the problem. I HOPE NEVER!!!

By the way, does any one know who makes the sound card for Asus?

Collapse -
Is there a "card?"

In reply to: long lost BIOS for my motherboard

If so I pull it out to share pictures for those I'm asking to identify it. If you meant the ONBOARD SOUND well that's no card and the drivers are from the motherboard maker.
Bob

Collapse -
sound card from Asus

In reply to: Is there a "card?"

Asus has a sound card called "Xonar D2X". I read up on it and it's close to the Creative Labs sound card. I'm not talking the onboard sound on the motherboard. It's a separate card.

Collapse -
Asus does make such things.

In reply to: sound card from Asus

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.