Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Just a question

by oludir / March 26, 2006 8:05 AM PST

I work in a school with the internet connection distributed to every room through ethernet ports on which every computer must plug itself to. What is the cheapest/best wireless adaptor I can get that will just require being plugged into the ethernet port?

I want to use my laptop anywhere within the range of my classroom.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Just a question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Just a question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You need a WAP
by linkit / March 26, 2006 9:35 AM PST
In reply to: Just a question

You need to get permission from the network administrator to ''plug in'' a Wireless Access Point (WAP).

Once you have a WAP (with the security settings your network administrator recommends), any computer that is to make a wireless connection to the WAP will need a Wireless Network Adapter.

The Wireless Network Adapter needs to be compatible with the WAP's broadcast standard (wireless-g, wireless-b, wireless-a).

Cheapest WAPs are often Wireless Routers that can be configured to function as a WAP.

Collapse -
plug-n-play unlikely
by linkit / March 26, 2006 9:58 AM PST
In reply to: Just a question

It can be difficult to find a WAP that is simply plug-n-play because the existing network setup might not match the default WAP settings.

I have used small wireless routers as WAPs for classrom and hotel use. They are usually called travel routers or compact routers. You plug it in, configure it once, and pop it into your notebook travel bag when you are finished.

I have had success with the following compact/travel models:
Linksys WRT54GC
Linksys WTR54G
Netgear WGR101

I usually travel with Linksys WRT54GC because it has a lot of functions and extra ports if needed.

Collapse -
Not a good idea.
by SIRKGM14vg / March 27, 2006 11:14 PM PST
In reply to: Just a question

You could cause a lot of problems on your school networks that would upset any network admin. Believe me, it's easy to track too. But, if you got permission to do this, the setup is simple. Purchase ACCESS POINT and hook it into the port in the wall. Broadcast your signal and voila! Most of the time, this will not work because the Access Point needs to be registered on the network that is running on. Chances are you will be able to connect to the network, but internet might not be allowed. (Depends on the schools network.)

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.