General discussion

Just 1280x1024 broken on 17" LCD monitor

I have a 17" Norwood Micro (Circuit City?) flat panel monitor I've been using for a number of years, supporting 1280x1024 without any problem. Suddenly, it only displays blotches of mostly greyish, maybe some other colors, sort of in wide vertical or horizontal stripes. (It's not like sync is totally lost with a diagonal pattern). At first, I wasn't sure if it was the display card, etc. but I tried it on another computer, same blotches, different cable, same blotches. But then I tried several several different (winxp) desktop resolutions and it worked perfectly up to even 1280x960! 1280x1024 is the "native resolution" so anything else doesn't look quite as good. What type of component failure would cause the LCD monitor to stop working for 1280x1024?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Just 1280x1024 broken on 17" LCD monitor
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Just 1280x1024 broken on 17" LCD monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Stumper.

But if I had any idea it would be to set the refresh rate to 60Hz and if there is a monitor driver, reinstall that.
Bob

- Collapse -
Stumper

No special drivers, just WinXP. XP lets me chose from 60Hz, 70Hz, etc. and it was already at 60Hz. I tried 70Hz a couple of times, made no difference. Could the problem be caused by bad caps somewhere?

- Collapse -
Stumper.

CNET Forums