Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

JUNK MAILS

by alain_banyan / December 25, 2008 10:34 AM PST

Hi!
I am experiencing a strange thing: I have been receiving for the last 3 days E-mails sent by "ME" to "ME"! I believe that it is a virus.
Could someone help me?
I am a new owner of an Apple i Mac with OSX 10.5.6 version. The software is "Entourage" from Microsoft Office 2008. For Security I have the PC Tools Antivirus and the Firewall is set to allow all communications...

Thanks in advance and Merry X'mas to the readers of this message

Alain

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: JUNK MAILS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: JUNK MAILS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ClamXav is a free virus checker for Mac OS X.
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 25, 2008 11:39 AM PST
In reply to: JUNK MAILS
Collapse -
Firewall Set To Allow ALL...
by tobeach / December 25, 2008 2:09 PM PST

communications? In & Out?? Perhaps you need to tighten up a bit??
Mine on WinXP is set to DENY ALL except those I activate out-going & those exact in-coming replies to my out going requests.

Perhaps Macs are more secure but my unrequested hits to the firewall amount to about 1 per second (all are dropped of course). I show
fully stealthed except for 1 closed port (113)re-directed into nowhere URL.
Certain security programs list me as a "blackhole" and recommend those using their listing service deny contact. LOL!

Keep an eye on which/what add-ons you allow since cross talk w/ MS
programs & functions may allow un-expected entry attempts/routes.
Good Luck & Happy Holidays! Happy

Collapse -
Re: Junk emails from yourself
by mjfuller / December 27, 2008 5:53 AM PST

The same thing started happening to me a few days ago. I started getting junk emails from myself even after I told MS Outlook Express to block the emails from this address. I'm on a Dell Dimensions desktop PC. I run Windows XP Home mostly with Mozilla Firefox, with TrendMicro Internet Security, Adaware, Spybot S&D, and Windows Defender. None of these scans are finding anything except a couple of the the ususal tracking cookies. However, my computer is now extremely slow as well. It takes about 40 minutes for an AdAware scan, and yesterday my Spybot scan took over two hours! I've done all the maintenance suggested by the old CNET course in speeding up your Windows PC. Nothing seems to help. Any suggestions by the moderators would be appreciated. Is it possible I have a virus none of the above programs are detecting?

Collapse -
Give the following a try...
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 27, 2008 5:59 AM PST

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malwareand save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2

* Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
* Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
* When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
* When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
o Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
o Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
* Then click Finish.

MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.

* If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
* Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
* If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates,
manually download them from here
and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer,
copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes'
Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.

On the Scanner tab:

* Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
* Then click on the Scan button.
* If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
* The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top.
It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
* When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully.
Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
* Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.

Back at the main Scanner screen:

* Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
* The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
* Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.

Note:-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,
you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process.
Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately.
Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users

* Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
* Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
* Click the Scanning Control tab.
* Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):

Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining.

* Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
* Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
* On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
* On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
* Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
* After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
* Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
* A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
* If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".

Collapse -
Re: Give the following a try...
by mjfuller / December 28, 2008 1:04 AM PST

Thanks Marianna. I installed the new tools and their scans found several adware items, including a trojan, that my other spyware packages failed to detect. I was hopeful that would take care of the problem, but it didn't. After the scans yesterday afternoon and this morning I've received a couple of junk emails from myself. It's more adware. Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
Do you have Spybot's Tea-Timer enabled?
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 28, 2008 1:33 AM PST

Pls. DISABLE Tea-timer and run MBAM again...... maybe you could post MBAM's log ?

F-SECURE -- Vista 32-bit, XP Home Edition and Professional 32-bit, 2000 SP 4, Internet Explorer 7.0 & 6.0

Scans for malware and rootkits.

Please perform a scan with F-secure online scanner

1. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Start Scanning"
You may receive an alert on the address bar at this point to install the ActiveX control, please do so.
2. After installed, click on Accept on the license agreement.
3. Click "Full System Scan" to download the scanning components and begin scan and cleaning.
4. When the scan completes, click the "I want to decide item by item" button.
5. For each item found, Select "Disinfect" and click "Next".

Collapse -
Re: Do you have Spybot's Tea-Timer enabled?
by mjfuller / December 29, 2008 12:01 AM PST

Marianna,
Based on the recommendation of The Ultimate Troubleshooter, I already had Tea Timer disabled. Here's the latest MBAM scan and I also did the F-Secure Online scan. It only found a couple more tracking cookies. The junk emails from myself continue.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.31
Database version: 1556
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

12/28/2008 3:01:12 PM
mbam-log-2008-12-28 (15-01-12).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 125468
Time elapsed: 51 minute(s), 35 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Collapse -
Looking good....... did you also run SAS ?
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 29, 2008 1:11 AM PST

SuperAntispyware (SAS) and does it come up clean too?

Have you ever tried Mailwasher?

Have a look here:

http://www.mailwasher.net/

Using it for many years Wink

Collapse -
Re: Junk email
by mjfuller / December 31, 2008 6:15 AM PST

Yes, the SuperAntiSpyware doesn't find anything except the usual tracking cookies. One of them is from CNN.com which I've used for my home page for a long time. I may reconsider that. But otherwise everything comes up clean. I'm also trying the Mailwasher program you suggested. I have not received mail from my address since Monday, but I'm not sure why. I'll just wait and see if the problem returns. I appreciate all your help and suggestions. Now I feel a little more protected from malware.

Now I have another little new problem maybe you can help with because it might be related to installing the new software, etc., but I don't really know what triggered this. It started today. The problem is any time I print a page from the web, it prints in tiny little text I can't read without a magnifying glass. I can print a Word document with no problem, but any Internet pages print in tiny text. Is there a setting for this in options? I don't see one. Thanks.
Mike

Collapse -
Tiny text
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 31, 2008 7:41 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Junk email
When viewing a Web site with Internet Explorer that has small text, you can always just click View and then Text Size and select one of the options from smallest to largest. In Firefox there's a Zoom menu under View that lets you zoom in and out of the Web page you are visiting.

With any Web browser, you can also just hit the Ctrl key and the plus (+) or
minus (-) key to change the magnification of Web pages while you are surfing.

http://blogs.chron.com/helpline/archives/software/applications/web_browser/
Collapse -
Re: tiny text
by mjfuller / December 31, 2008 8:50 AM PST
In reply to: Tiny text

Marianna,
Oops. Judging by your response I didn't accurately state the problem. The text and graphics on Web pages are normal-sized to look at on the screen. It's only when I go to print that the entire Web page is tiny on the printed page. Thanks.
BTW, Happy New Year!
Mike

Collapse -
What kind of printer do you have?
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 31, 2008 2:07 PM PST
In reply to: Re: tiny text

Happy New Year to you too Happy

Collapse -
Printer - could it be.......
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 31, 2008 2:37 PM PST

you have a horizontal pagination setting of "Scale to fit". With this setting the browser window width is taken into consideration--try narrowing the window and see if text gets larger.

If you change this setting to "automatic" the window width won't be used.

You can find this setting by opening the print pane, in the drop down that currently says "Copies & Pages" select the webpage you want to print, the setting is in this new view, "Horizontal Pagination".

Collapse -
Re: printer setting
by mjfuller / January 1, 2009 1:08 PM PST

Yeah, it was the page setup in my browser. The scale setting had somehow been changed to print at 40 percent. When I changed it to the setting for "shink to fit page width" it seems to print fine. Thanks again for all your help.
Mike

Collapse -
Super - Great to hear you fixed it :)
by Marianna Schmudlach / January 1, 2009 1:43 PM PST

You Are Very Welcome Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?