Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Junk email ??

I have recieved an email from someone claiming to live local and seen my profile / pic and would love to meet up ? ( I don't have an account or profile anywhere they started the email with my first name ?? Not sure how they got that.

I stupidly replied to say they had the wrong address !!

I then recieved another email to say there partner was out of town and I ignored that !!

So I now recieved another email asking if I live near the town that I do ?? Have they got that info from me replying ?

Any help is appreciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Junk email ??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Junk email ??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Location via reply email = yes.

In reply to: Junk email ??

In the email headers that most folk never look are the IP addresses and more. You can use tools to figure out the general area of where the email traveled.

The new rule is to just delete emails like this. DO NOT REPLY.
Bob

Collapse -
Junk

In reply to: Location via reply email = yes.

Thanks for your reply I can't quite figure it out ? It has 3 ip addresses not sure which is the right recieved one if that makes sense?

Collapse -
Ip addresses

In reply to: Junk

The ip addresses none local all abroad !! From a gmx.com

Collapse -
You can't figure it because...

In reply to: Junk

You don't have access to the email you sent them. You would have to send me an email and I'd have to copy the results on my end then send that back.

https://www.icewarp.com/support/online_help/203030105.htm and many other web pages cover this and for the person that just opened this topic may be floored for a few days.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you

In reply to: You can't figure it because...

Thanks for your reply and offering advice

Collapse -
Just checked link

In reply to: You can't figure it because...

Hi I just checked the link and from the info found the origin of the ip address was not actually Germany
Thanks again

Collapse -
(NT) Now you're cooking.

In reply to: Just checked link

Collapse -
Spam /scam

In reply to: Junk email ??

Just to confirm these sort of emails are spam or scam ?

Collapse -
both

In reply to: Spam /scam

they are both, spamming you because it is unwanted email and scamming you to get personal info from you and to verify it is a valid email address

Collapse -
Why ?

In reply to: both

I am sorry to keep asking what are probably really stupid or obvious questions. Thanks for your reply I am just curious why do you think they replied to my email saying they had the the wrong person asking if I lived near the town I live in ? And do you think they got that info from my IP address ? Thanks in advance

Collapse -
who knows

In reply to: Why ?

who knows how they got to you. your personal information has been bought and sold for years and data about you is still accumulating in everything you do. spammers have access to those lists. In addition, your smartphone also will share contact list info with apps thats installed. If you use openid on a website, that website will sometimes grab your contact list. Which means if your friends also download and install apps or use openid, and your name is in their contact list, your name and other info could be shared. and there are so many other ways that it is too much for this thread.

In todays online world your life is an open book, whether you like it or not. you ARE going to get emails to your address with your name on it. If unsolicited, just delete it, otherwise you could get some nasty malware on your computer, if you open it or if you reply it, you verified they had valid info.

Collapse -
Thank you :)

In reply to: who knows

Thanks for taking the time to reply much appreciated. It just freaked me out a little knowing my name and location. Thanks for all your replies and helping to put my mind at rest

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.