Computer Newbies forum

Question

Junior Network Administrator

by Admin1984 / September 28, 2014 6:44 AM PDT

Hi all, I need some advice regarding my new Junior Network Administrator role. I have never worked with computer's before this role, and after selling my car valeting business, my friend a CEO of a computer firm offered me this job. The problem is, the firm does not offer training for non-experienced, in the past they only hired those with experience. However I need to learn the basics first, and I have only three months to improve or losing my job. I have been working here for just over 3 months, and in desperate need of advice to speed up my learning. I have bought myself some books, problem solving, Computer basics, and Excel 2013 for Dummies. I really want to work in I.T and willing to learn outside of work, I need to know if this job is worth fighting for or look elsewhere. My duties so far involves, daily backup disk change, Computer build up and upgrade when needed, Installations, Daily monitoring of software and applications, Report writing when needed, Scan security writing monthly, Weekly time sheet report, Daily e-mail alert monitoring, office duties i.e. Data cables, networking problems, DNS problems. I have learnt this and more in three months, but I struggle with attention to detail, and haven't done any live activities yet. Any advice would be much appreciated .Thank-you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Junior Network Administrator
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Junior Network Administrator
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
" I have never worked with computer's before this role,"???
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 28, 2014 12:43 PM PDT

If you've never worked with computers, which I take as having very little knowledge about such, WHY did your "friend" hire you to work as a Network Admin? This isn't a "Newbies" type of job so it makes me concerned why you were chosen for the role.

Generally, a position such as yours includes having, at least, as much computer tech, software, and hardware knowledge as those using the computers in the company. How do you help users and monitor software that you haven't seen or used before? There are literally hundreds of questions about what things you know and most of them come from experience in the field. Just a few are below:

You talk about DNS problems but do you even know what that is if you : "have never worked with computer's before this role"? (I suspect you've more computer basics that you've let on so it would be nice to know EXACTLY such experience.) Next, although you mention Excel 13 for Dummies, do you know anything about how do deal with other Microsoft programs such as word, or Outlook which is the email choice of many companies. Security is a major issue for most organizations and how much do you know about their gateway and firewall setups? Which security software are they using and are you familiar with how it works? How are Windows Updates being done? Does each computer have internet access allowing them to update individually or are they deployed from a company server? Which operating systems are being used? How are backups for ALL of the data for ALL of the computers being done? You should know all of these things plus everything else, including the little things like what happens when a virus or malware hits a computer..

You're on the right track regarding learning but maybe night classes at the local college are necessary as well.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Answers
by Admin1984 / September 29, 2014 5:39 AM PDT

Good evening Grif,

I will explain my situation so it's more clearer, when I sold my business, I was talking to my computer friend about joining a computer firm and learn from the bottom. He wanted me to learn this Network role, simply to put me in a better position to finding a job in the future if needed be. This was a business risk for him, and at the same time if I succeeded, I would be loyal to him for a long time. However this firm consist of 33 staff, I work in the infrastructure department, we already have a senior Network Admin whom I learn from, also Infrastructure manager, and three SQL staff. To answer your problem solving questions, I only deal with small problems, but the senior Admin deals with all other issues and deployments. There is a GPO in place to deal with updates and other rules, I probably have learnt more then I think, Office 365 i use daily, I have installed all 33 computers to 2013 Office and have written my own build-up step guide, I use Spiceworks to track down all installed software and applications, product keys, out of date license etc. My main problem is, how much can I possibly learn in three months, I started learning from the top rather than learning the basics. I really like this role, but working for a small firm like mine, the senior Admin has hes own targets, meaning he hasn't got time to train me. I have asked to go college, and were in the process of completing the online course which I hope would improve my learning. I hope this has made more sense, Thank-you for replying to my question.

Collapse -
That Makes More Sense, Thanks For The Info
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 29, 2014 11:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Answers

It sounds like you're started on the right track. Learn from the primary Net Admin and continue using the books, and any online information your have. Take college courses if you can. In addition, this forum has a lot of good information. Simply read through the posts and learn. We also have other forums here, such as the "Spyware, Viruses and Security Alerts" and "Computer Help" forums from which you can glean lots of good information simply by reading the posts that various folks ask. Some think it unusual, but simply scanning and reading the various questions and answers in these forums should help you gain knowledge quickly.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Answer
Re: job
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 29, 2014 5:58 AM PDT

What parts of your job do you feel you need extra knowledge or experience for? That's not clear at all from your post, I'm afraid.
And I don't understand what you mean with "live activities".

Kees

Collapse -
Live Activities
by Admin1984 / September 30, 2014 7:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: job

Hi Kees- B,

Sorry about the confusion, the senior Admin wants me to take over most of the office duties, and to complete the tasks without asking for support. This includes, installations, upgrades, network issues, signing new recruits onto Office 365, and Outlook, and all other internal duties.

To answer your question about live activities, we work with Travel agencies, Banks, so any changes we make on our websites can have an affect on our customers. Before making any changes, we firstly have a daily meeting where we discuss the type of problems we need to resolve. The outcome of this meeting will bring about the best time to apply the changes, and a backup plan just in case the website crushes. Live just means it's happening right now. I hope this makes sense

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?