General discussion

Jungle out there - Best Webhosting for Joomla Website

Hello,

not being IT expert myself I was overwhelmed with the choices of various web hosting solutions out there. It's a real jungle out tehre and hard to get some neutral advice which hosting provider best suits your needs.

In a nusthell I'm looking for a webhost that has
a) very fast and reliabe service
b) Fast and excellent customer suppport
c) Is ideal for hosting a Joomla based CMS site with MySQL database.

So where to start and where to find the best provider. As I'm based in Hong Kong I also need a provider that allows quick access of the site from Hong Kong. However, the site doesn't need to be hosted in Hong Kong, maybe an international proivder can also proovide fast speed (eg if US is sleeping the US servers have not so much traffic and therefore speed for Hong Kong users is high even if website is hosted in US or EU?)

Can anyone give some advice or share his experience? Would be very much welcome!!!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Jungle out there - Best Webhosting for Joomla Website
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Jungle out there - Best Webhosting for Joomla Website
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Hostgator Is Recommended

To me I think Hostgator is suitable for you, it's not the fact that I do sell Hostgator but however their hosting service is one of the best. Below is the list of point why I recommend them:-

1. 99.9% uptime GUARANTEE (written in TOS)
2. good support as you can request their CEO to attend to your problems
3. speed? I'm not sure about that but I have no problem with the speed accessing my site hosted there. (I'm from Asia too)

Regarding the point #2, it's not a marketing tricks by them, you can try search Brent Oxley and you will realize he actually appear in solving problems.

You mentioned Joomla and Hostgator does come with Joomla in Fantastico. (Just my personal thought, why use joomla? I heard joomla is consuming too much of resource that sometimes it will cause your website overload, how about Wordpress? just my personal thought)

Here are some references for you:-
Why is Hostgator recommended
Hostgator Hosting Review
Hostgator FAQ

So basically these are my thought..

- Collapse -
Thanks

ok. I will check into Hostgator then. thank you for your advice!

- Collapse -
Avoid Bluehost, hostmonster a their sisters and brothers

I was with Bluehost. I believe it is a scam. I have left them. If you google for common phrases like 'Best Web Hosting', and then trace the referenced domains with whois, you'll find that many of them trace back to BlueHost or the many (aka's) they now do business as. I have found them to be completely devoid of ethics. Do a google for 'best web hosting' and you'll find "TOP-10-WEB-HOSTING.COM". This site purports to provide unbiased reviews from 'Experienced webmasters'. They rate BlueHost and HostMonster among the best with glowing reviews. But a simple whois lookup shows that they _ARE_ Bluehost. What kind a company would use a tactic like this? A disreputable unethical one (in my opinion). I made a big mistake using these guys and I hope this post will help you avoid being suckered into a nightmare.

- Collapse -
I agree!! It's not easy to find independent reviews!!

I agree, it is soo frustrating!!

You find a site & think, finally an independent review, then you do a whois - and yup, they seem to be hosted by the site that they recommend most!! Grr!!
Can't this be prohibited somehow??

I know there are websites that show uptime/downtine, and some seem pretty genuine.. So maybe they are..

What seems to happen with most hosts that seem 'good' and offer 'unlimited' packages for very little, they seem to soon start overselling and their uptime goes down.. I don't know why they keep doing it??!!

Besides, I would like a 'green' host - at least in some aspects.. and those are kinda costlier too, if you want 'really green' options.. 'just certificates' seem cheaper, but some of them seem to offer 'unlimited' too, so I wonder how soon before they go bad? hmm..

- Collapse -
Privacy Protected By Hosting Providers

"they seem to be hosted by the site that they recommend most!!"

I think there are some misunderstanding here.

1) Most review sites are hosted at the recommended hosting because it serves as a real time tester to see how the web hosting performs.

2) Some web hosting providers for example Bluehost provides "free privacy service". For domains registered by Bluehost, the privacy of that domain is protected and the real contact information will be hidden. In this case all contact will be pointed back to the web hosting itself with whois.

So with this it sound a bit catchy though when you perform a whois search. However, to me I think in fact all web hosting plan is the same in term of hosting features. Whether they oversell or not. After all you are not going to use up all the space to check whether they are oversell or not. (unlimited = oversell, but 100GB = oversell too if they fail to provide that)

So the most important point to me in picking up a web hosting is the customer support and performance. Customer support because if anything goes wrong, they respond and solve the problem quick. good performance because there will be lesser problems.

Face it, web hosting is just a human technology where mistakes and problems do occur. We need a human being to solve it too in the end.

Regards,
Daren

Message was edited by: admin to remove signature links which is prohibited in these forums. Please use your CNET profile for such. Thank you!

- Collapse -
Close, no cigar

Even if it were true, I just can't see how a customer or a vendor of a company can represent themselves as "Objective Experts" on the company's products. Customers can provide testimonials. Vendors can give references. But neither can honestly claim to be 'objective experts' as does BlueHost with it's shill sites.

I agree with the statement that "web hosting is just a human technology". Unfortunately, my experience with Blue Host proved that this company represents some of the worst of humanity. My new hosting company (name not mentioned here because I am not a shill) is well regarded and well ranked by CNET. My objective advice still stands: Stay away from Blue Host and Host Monster or the other dba's and aka's of BlueHost.

Again, my experience has been that the CNET recommendations are quite reliable and I am very grateful for these. I was tricked by BlueHost and their shill sites and hope I can prevent others from being deceived. I trust CNET reviews.

- Collapse -
Bluehost = Hostmonster

err...I didn't mean Bluehost is not Hostmonster Happy My reply is meant for the review sites.

I totally agree that Bluehost has recently really reduce in term of their quality. They are real good last time. But those are the good old days. If they fail to make changes and improve then they are going to be eliminated along time.

There are always news on heavy load and database connection error from them. I think these are intolerable mistakes that one hosting company can do!

- Collapse -
Bluehost Exposed on writing their own fake reviews.
- Collapse -
Is Blue Host a Good or bad Company ?

I am considering them for a very big project and my career depends on that, your comments will help. So far i have got mixed reviews

- Collapse -
Rebate
- Collapse -
VPS coupons?

Does anyone here know of any hostgator VPS coupon codes?

CNET Forums

Forum Info