General discussion

Jump

Why does my seach page jump to another program? i.e. type in C-net and I get something like "FindStuff""Dealtime" etc. Must me a way to correct this problem. It all started when I tried to download Active X Control. Deleted it but, didn't correct the jump problem. Any help would be appreicated.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Jump
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Jump
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
More information please...

I don't quite follow what the problem is, so if you could answer the following it would speed an appropriate response:
* What operating system do you have?
* I assume you're referring to an internet browser, but which one? (Internet Explorer 6, Internet Explorer 7, Firefox, etc.)
* What 'other program' does it jump to?
* Which search website are you using?
* What ActiveX Control did you attempt to download and from where?
* Have you scanned your computer for viruses and adware/spyware?

Let us know.
John

- Collapse -
Jump

I have Window's XP Pro. Use Explorer 7 and it doesn't matter, I can be using Google or Yahoo. Dosen't happen evey time and any search program can come up. I don't remember when or where I downloaded Active X Control. I scan with Ad-Adware everyday and Windows Defender and Norton's on auto scan. This problem eventually goes away but, may come up again the next time I fire up the computer.

- Collapse -
Jumps to another page

Even though I type i.e. C-net the browser goes to another search page. Last time it went to Biz Rate and the likes. I keep messing around and the C-net pages comes up. I've delete all cookies and the likes. When I tried to log into my account in Google, it tell me my cookies function is on and I need to disable it and I can't figure that out either. I don't know if that might be my problem. I'm fairly new at this and really stuck. Help.

- Collapse -
(NT) what happens if you type cnet (no hyphen)
- Collapse -
Sound like you infected
- Collapse -
if you type c-net and click "Enter"

it's probably your ISP redirecting you to a page that 'might' help you

if you type c-net and press 'Ctrl' + Enter you should be redirected to cnet.com

jonah

- Collapse -
curlyhiro

Does this only happen with cnet,if not you would get more feedback from another forum since this forum is for forum related issues.

Try the FORUM DIRECTORY for an applicable forum.

Tom

- Collapse -
jump (redirects to another page)

Funny, some days it works fine and other times it doesn't matter what I type in, internet explorer jumps (redirects) to another page. You don't know what's going to come up. Usually some kind of search page. i.e. BizRate, Findstuff, etc. I've even ran Microsoft Malicious software removal, Norton's, Windows Defender and Ad-Aware and nothing seems to change. Sometime if I stab the page I'm looking for a lot and fast, it'll come up right. There's a boggy man inside my computer and I can't find him. Help....

- Collapse -
try this

click tools
internet options

delete cookies

delete history

click the content tab

auto complete
clear (uncheck) the web addresses box

apply
ok

reboot the computer....

hope this helps

jonah

- Collapse -
In addition to Jonah's advice

I would go further.

I would remove all BHO's, (Browser Help Objects), from Internet Explorer, and remove all 3rd party search toolbars, like Google and Yahoo.

BHO's are all too often not Browser Help Objects. They can include spyware, or they are poorly coded and can cause problems in a browser. This site, http://www.adoko.com/bho.html explains more and suggests BHODemon to remove them all.

Google and Yahoo toolbars are add-ons to browsers to enhance the users search options. However in my view they are intrusive and as they record what sites you search for, I also consider them to be spyware.

Both can be removed through the Add/Remove utility in the Control Panel, (Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs), or they can be disabled within Internet Explorer. I would remove them, and if you want to use either Google or Yahoo to search, simply type their url's into the address bar and press Enter. The main pages can be saved as Favorites for later use.

Google = www.google.com
Yahoo. = www.yahoo.com

Mark

- Collapse -
Jump problem

Hi Mark, I first tried restore back to May and that didn't help. Had the same problem but, I did switch my home page to MSN and I don't seem to have the problem anymore. I think I'm going to delete Google and Yahoo and then reinstall them later to see what happens. Thanks again.....Hiroshi

- Collapse -
delete Google and Yahoo ?

if you have google and yahoo tool bars, you probably found the answer...

jonah

- Collapse -
(NT) Yep, but I'm glad you seem to have resolved it for now.
- Collapse -
Nope

I take that back. It run MSN O.K. for awhile but, the same problem came back to haunt me. One thing that's funny is when I type in what I'm looking for and I hit the enter keep around four or more times, it goes the the site I want. It's like it scrolls through a list before coming to the proper site.

- Collapse -
Question

I don't know if I'm in the right place but, does anyone have any knowledge about these two programs and if they work. RegistrySmart and BitDefender? I'm wondering if I should buy them and see if it will correct my problem. Thanks.

- Collapse -
it may not be the "right" place

but in most of the Cnet forums you will see this note:

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

if you go here you'll find a list of forums -XP, Win98, browsers etc, where you may find more help which will assist you, but it will help the helpers if you open your post with the basic information, i.e. operating system, browser and any Anti-Virus/Adaware programs you use

hope this helps

jonah

- Collapse -
Before you go spending any money
- Collapse -
reply to: Question

Bitdefender is a pretty reliable tool, but i would just run they're free online scan at http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html from time to time long before spending any money on it.

Also, rather than forking out money for a Registry cleaner I use and recommend the free RegSeeker. Probably won't find anything much better. And many of the premium reg cleaners aren't as
great as they are cracked-up to be.

Also, the programs MarkFlax mentioned in Post 18 are a big plus.

Charlie

- Collapse -
What I have and run

My computer has 340 gig hard drive and 2 gig memory. Windows XP Pro and runs Explorer7. Home page using Google. For checking my computer, I run Norton, Window Defender, Ad-aware SE, Window Malicious Software Removal Tool, AVG and HighLogfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:15:49 AM, on 6/16/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16473)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP PrecisionScan\PrecisionScan Pro\hplamp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I2J1.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATIAIA.EXEJack this. This is what HighJack this has.

- Collapse -
Messed up

Here's the complete list. Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:15:49 AM, on 6/16/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16473)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP PrecisionScan\PrecisionScan Pro\hplamp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I2J1.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATIAIA.EXE
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\Program Files\Caere\PageKeeper30\system\PKJobs.exe
C:\Program Files\Caere\PageKeeper30\SYSTEM\PKSlapi.exe
C:\Program Files\Caere\PageKeeper30\SYSTEM\PKTOPASS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: ImageShack Toolbar - {6932D140-ABC4-4073-A44C-D4A541665E35} - C:\WINDOWS\ImageShackToolbar\ImageShackToolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAX] "C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe" /tray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [JMB36X Configure] C:\WINDOWS\System32\JMRaidTool.exe boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsjbmgr] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP PrecisionScan\PrecisionScan Pro\hpsjbmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Lamp] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP PrecisionScan\PrecisionScan Pro\hplamp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus Photo R800] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I2J1.EXE /P23 "EPSON Stylus Photo R800" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus Photo R800"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus Photo R800 (Copy 1)] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I2J1.EXE /P32 "EPSON Stylus Photo R800 (Copy 1)" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus Photo R800"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [osCheck] "C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\osCheck.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus Photo R220 Series (Copy 1)] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATIAIA.EXE /P39 "EPSON Stylus Photo R220 Series (Copy 1)" /O6 "USB002" /M "Stylus Photo R220"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus Photo R220 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATIAIA.EXE /P30 "EPSON Stylus Photo R220 Series" /O6 "USB002" /M "Stylus Photo R220"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec PIF AlertEng] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /a /m "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\AlertEng.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NBJ] "C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero BackItUp\NBJ.exe"
O4 - Startup: Billminder.lnk = C:\QUICKENW\billmind.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: PageKeeper Jobs.lnk = C:\Program Files\Caere\PageKeeper30\system\PKJobs.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner v8 - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://toolbar.imageshack.us
O16 - DPF: {02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B} - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/20070501/qtinstall.info.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {193C772A-87BE-4B19-A7BB-445B226FE9A1} (ewidoOnlineScan Control) - http://downloads.ewido.net/ewidoOnlineScan.cab
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/scan8/oscan8.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1170308115335
O16 - DPF: {6932D140-ABC4-4073-A44C-D4A541665E35} (ImageShack Toolbar) - http://toolbar.imageshack.us/toolbar/ImageShackToolbar.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1171574323654
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - GRISOFT s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
O23 - Service: InCD Helper (InCDsrv) - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
O23 - Service: InCD Helper (read only) (InCDsrvR) - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec IS Password Validation (ISPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\isPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service Ex (LiveUpdate Notice Ex) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /m "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PifEng.dll (file missing)
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AppCore Service (SymAppCore) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe

- Collapse -
curlyhiro

CNET doesn't analyze hjt logs,try this LINK

Tom

- Collapse -
Sorry

Sorry to all those who I've wasted your time and this space.

- Collapse -
i have the same problem

did u find a answer to the problem i have try i think everything but i still with the jump thing and is horrible and anoying

Mare

- Collapse -
What we are not sure about

CNET Forums

Forum Info