Speakeasy forum

General discussion

July 16th is deployment date

by TONI H / March 5, 2005 3:37 AM PST

for Derek's ship to head for Iraq. He said they will be in three or four different ports there and no liberty at all, so the crew will be pretty much isolated to the ship except for occasional jaunts to the pier for short periods of time.

He said they are going through more and more maneuvers with the ship now and it's gotten intensified to make sure everything and everybody is ready to rock and roll. (while his mother sits and hopes something major breaks so they can't leave yet)

How are you doing, Cindi? Look forward to another dinner night out together in the next couple of weeks...heading back in your direction.

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: July 16th is deployment date
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: July 16th is deployment date
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) tell derek i wish safe sailing and safe trip
by Mark5019 / March 5, 2005 3:43 AM PST
Collapse -
Hi Toni
by Cindi Haynes / March 5, 2005 3:58 AM PST

I'm doing okay, and so is Chris, apparently. I've had an email and a phone call from him so far. It's good to hear his voice.

I also look forward to another night out with you. We always have fun when terrorizing the staff at Ruby Tuesday's! Wink

I know you're not big on prayers, but you know you, Derek, and Heather will be in mine. Happy

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
I'm big on prayers
by TONI H / March 5, 2005 4:07 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Toni

just not public displays of them....I don't think it's necessary in order to talk to God.

If we end up back at Ruby Tuesdays again, remind me that I REALLY liked that salad dressing that guy recommended, even though he had never tasted it himself. LOL That place puts a whole new meaning on the words "let's do lunch".....great food.

Maybe this time we can try the Chinese restaurant instead.....call and find out if they take reservations so I can let you know for when.

I'm glad Chris is OK and that he's been able to communicate at least. Letters are one thing, but emails get here faster and hearing the voice is almost as good as having him around (I really miss my kid on trash day or when the grass needs to be mowed...made the mistake of telling him that the last time we talked though heheheh)

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) what time should we show up???
by Mark5019 / March 5, 2005 4:10 AM PST
In reply to: I'm big on prayers
Collapse -
Food!
by Cindi Haynes / March 5, 2005 5:00 AM PST
In reply to: I'm big on prayers

Hiya Toni,

The chinese restaurant around here is an all-you-can-eat buffet, and they always have plenty of seats available, which puzzles me because the food is great. At lunch, it's $4.99/person. We also have japanese and thai food places, but I've never tried them.

Looks like Mark is gonna drive up and join us! Which is good, cuz if we go Chinese, I'll need a date...Greg won't go, he hates chinese!

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) im gonna eat tia tonight :)
by Mark5019 / March 5, 2005 5:08 AM PST
In reply to: Food!
Collapse -
Go for the Thai food:)
by Glenda / March 6, 2005 2:09 AM PST
In reply to: Food!

An experience you will never forget:) I took Evie to our local Thai restaurant and we ordered nothing but appetizers so she could taste everything:( The Thai tea with cream is out of this world and very addicting:) Hope all of you have fun:)

Collapse -
Oops!
by Glenda / March 6, 2005 2:10 AM PST
In reply to: Go for the Thai food:)

taste everything Sad !! Was supposed to be a Happy Sorry

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Wish him A safe and speedy return
by MKay / March 5, 2005 4:36 AM PST
Collapse -
From an old song:
by Angeline Booher / March 5, 2005 5:16 AM PST

"We joined the Navy to see the world.

But what did we see?

We saw the sea.

We saw the Atlantic and the Pacific

But the Pacific wasn't terrific

And the Atlantic wasn't what it's cracked up to be

Sailing, sailing, home again, to see the girls upon the village green,

Then across the foam again to see the other seas we haven't seen!"

(""WE SAW THE SEA," by Irving Berlin. It is from a from a Fred Astaire /Ginger Rogers movie called "Follow the Fleet")

http://www.militarymusic.com/200311.htm

The site says it is available on a Fred Astaire CD.

Derek sailing from port to port reminded me of it.

God Bless Derek, Heather, Chris, Serena, and all of you who love them. I had the pleasure of meeting Chris, and so I know what a fine gentleman he is.

Angeline

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Heather
by TONI H / March 5, 2005 5:33 AM PST
In reply to: From an old song:

will be done with LPN school and hopefully be working with good pay by the time he gets back it looks like. She graduates in December.

I think he's coming home in July before shipping out (for two weeks) without her since she can't take the time from school, but then she'll come home in December without him to spend the holidays since he'll still be gone.

She was bent out of shape when he told her he would be coming without her, until I talked with her and reminded her about her plans in December....then she got okay again with realizing that BOTH of them are pretty much in the Navy. She just married into it. LOL

I'm going to try and make a trip out there this summer while he's gone and spend some time tripping down memory lane from when I was there in 1968. Trying to figure out how I can do it and bring home my double recliner loveseat that they took out there last year and turned around and immediately bought a new couch for the apartment (now complaining nearly every phone call about how they have no room to store the loveseat). I'm not crazy about hauling it home but it's in great shape and cost a small fortune. Was hoping to take a train out, but I don't think I can ship it home on the train ride back with me. lol

TONI

Collapse -
Shipping
by Angeline Booher / March 5, 2005 6:01 AM PST
In reply to: Heather

Sometimes it's possible to catch a load coming this way with a moving company.

You could check out freight charges, which probably would be your best bet. When i look at heavy furniture catalogs, say, LLBean, they charge about $125-150 freight plus the normal shipping. I thin the loveseat might be too big for UPS or FedEx, but they can answer that. I did send my brother a small side table per UPS.

Pulling a trailer across country would be my very last choice! Happy

I dunno how far you can get by train anymore.

I suggest you can a motor freight company and ask.

If it's like the Air Force, there are lots of garage sales on base, but folks seem to sell things at a very reasonable price. If the cost of shipping it is too much, you could sell it there.

Angeline

Collapse -
Best of luck to Derek and everyone else, those over there
by Ziks511 / March 5, 2005 9:30 AM PST

and those who love them. You're all in my prayers. God this is such a flasback to the upsets and shippings out in the 60's I'm all misty eyed.

Rob Boyter

Collapse -
I'm sure there
by TONI H / March 5, 2005 6:25 PM PST

were upsets about 'shipping' out throughout history and in every country; it's not unique to the USA or our current period of time....sooner or later every family and friend endures it. We don't like it, but we do it, and keep vigil waiting for loved ones to return. We all thank you for your prayers.

TONI

Collapse -
Toni.........
by Glenda / March 6, 2005 2:04 AM PST

My prayers go out too you and Derek in this situation. Praying that all goes well and he has a safe stay and a fast return home. James was being sent over at the beginning of the year, and I was so worried. Then I hear from him the other day that they are being transferred to Chattanooga Tennessee, in July. I gathered that the new base has already been to Iraq and returned. He is upset because he was ready to go, and this is twice that he has been transferred when it was time for his unit to go. Of course I am happy about this! This will be his last move, as he retires when this one is over! Thank God! I think what upsets him the most as this was the only way he was going to get promoted so Now he retires as a SSGT!
Sue

Collapse -
Hope he (and all our other young men and women)
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / March 6, 2005 2:58 AM PST

stay safe, Toni. That's already part of my prayer routine...

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Toni, Derek and his lady....
by Paul C / March 6, 2005 9:01 PM PST

...will remain in my thoughts and prayers until he returns home with his ship.

Be anxious and apprehensive, for you are his mom - and that's what moms do. But also be very proud of him and what he's doing - for you should be, as we all are.

Collapse -
Thank you, Paul
by TONI H / March 6, 2005 9:15 PM PST

I used to get nervous waiting for him to arrive home safely at night....then I got nervous about him driving back and forth from Pensacola, Fl to home when he would come on leave....then I got nervous when he and Heather drove cross country to San Diego, CA (in a little more than two days...talk about a walking wreck here tracking him via maps and cell phone)....then I got nervous thinking about the two of them driving those CA highways (with good reason evidently since Heather just totalled her car last month hitting the concrete wall...uninjured and one car involved only, thank God)....now I refuse to get nervous until July.

These kids are going to be the death of me......but I also drove for three days straight from Cleveland, Ohio to San Diego in 1968, hauling a small trailer, two babies in diapers, in a 1964 Thunderbird that had no spare tire at age 21 and thought I was invincible, too. Why in the world did I ever think my own kids wouldn't follow in their mother's tracks???????

I SOOOOOOOOOOOOO get it now when parents say "do as I say and not as I do/did"

TONI

Collapse -
Just thought of this, Toni!
by Paul C / March 7, 2005 8:18 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you, Paul

Is Heather staying around the base? If so, play mother-in-law for a bit and make sure that she avails herself of the support that is available on base for the spouses of deployed sailors.

I don't know what it's called in Navy-speak, but we in the Air Force called it the Family Support Center and I know there's one on every installation. It'll offer her many chances to bond a little with the other wives of deployed sailors as well as assist her with the inevitable disasters that always seem to befall the waiting spouse - something that both my lady and I can speak to, as each of us played the role occasionally during our time on active duty when the other was away doing whatever...

Of course, with Heather trying to get established as an LPN, I suspect that she'll perhaps be too busy to have much time to mope about.... Wink

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Will keep him and your family in my prayers.
by Evie / March 6, 2005 9:24 PM PST
Collapse -
Thanks, Evie
by TONI H / March 6, 2005 9:56 PM PST

I don't understand how Cindi is still rational...I suspect I'll be in a corner cutting out paperdolls.

TONI

Collapse -
Honestly?
by Cindi Haynes / March 7, 2005 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks, Evie

I have the peace of Christ Jesus, and know that God is in control.

But don't tell anyone, or it'd just start another big nasty debate about Christians. Wink

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
God is in control...Yep
by TONI H / March 7, 2005 1:46 AM PST
In reply to: Honestly?

I've said that most of my life......but it doesn't mean I like it (nor does it mean I don't try to wrangle it away occasionally to get the outcome I want). heheheh

TONI

Collapse -
Oh, I still do the same thing!
by Cindi Haynes / March 7, 2005 2:14 AM PST
Collapse -
I do the same thing Toni..........
by Glenda / March 7, 2005 8:25 AM PST

I have a friend that tells me God isn't ready for me in Heaven yet, as he likes the way He Runs the place and doesn't want me taking over:) Every time James tells me he may be deployed I cry! Then I start praying, and so far he hasn't gone yet! Now he just tells his Father and I have to worm it out of Jim!!!
Sue

Collapse -
At least you two have each other ...
by Evie / March 8, 2005 6:53 AM PST

... it's nice you are close enough to be able to get together!

Evie Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?