Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Julian Assange seeks asylum in Equador

by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 19, 2012 10:48 PM PDT
Wikileaks founder Julian Assange faces arrest, police say.

Assange is on bail in the UK at present pending his appeal against the British court's decision that he can be extradited to Sweden to answer questions over rape and sexual assault allegations.

He walked in to Equador's London Embassy last night to seek asylum.

Mr Assange, 40, whose conditions included staying at his bail address between 2200 and 0800 BST, spent Tuesday night at the embassy.

Last week he failed to reopen an appeal against his extradition to Sweden.

Ecuador had said it was "studying and analysing" Mr Assange's request for asylum.

Last Thursday, seven judges at the UK's Supreme Court dismissed Mr Assange's attempt to reopen his extradition appeal as being "without merit".

Assange is also wanted in the USA to face questions and possible charges against treason for the government papers he has leaked over the last few years.

I'm not sure what to make of this reporter's article. He says last week Assange failed to re-open an appeal, but then he goes on to say that last week the Supreme Court ruled against his attempt to re-open his appeal.

I do wish reporters would learn how to timeline their reports.

Equador huh? I hear it's nice, this time of year.

By spending the night in the embassy he has breached the terms of his bail, and that is why the police want to arrest him.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Julian Assange seeks asylum in Equador
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Julian Assange seeks asylum in Equador
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What a guy
by Willy / June 20, 2012 3:46 AM PDT

South America the place the Nazis went after the WWII. The laws got changed or more protective of their citizens and/or people living there, thus non-extradition of same. So, you figure he looking for a way out? -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
What a lair!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2012 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: What a guy
Collapse -
(NT) LOL, so did a lot of Jews!
by James Denison / June 20, 2012 4:52 AM PDT
In reply to: What a guy
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?