General discussion

Judge Orders Migrants to 'Learn English'

this works for me and its about time

Some consider it unorthodox and others say it is unconstitutional, but nevertheless a Tennessee judge has ordered some Hispanic mothers in child abuse and neglect cases to either learn English or risk losing their children.

Despite criticism from some legal corners, Wilson County Judge Barry Tatum, a first-term jurist and former attorney, has defended his decisions, saying he made his rulings because the women need to assimilate American language and culture for the betterment of their children.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2005/2/14/154728.shtml

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Judge Orders Migrants to 'Learn English'
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Judge Orders Migrants to 'Learn English'
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Finally! A first step!
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) yup 1 down many more
- Collapse -
Gee! When my father came here at the age of 12

back around 1900,he could read and write and speak,Russian,Polish,French,and believe it or not Latin and Hebrew.

The first schooling he had after landing here was to go to a private school,Rhodes I believe, to learn English.

After a career as a mule team driver,cowboy,and printer he became an old fashioned horse and buggy physician whose primary love was delivering babies.

I might add that his English was accentless. Unfortunately I didnt get all of his genes as languages have always been hard for me for some reason...

- Collapse -
Really?

Mark, do you really want courts to treat people on the basis of how well or poorly they speak or write English?

I would think not.

Dan

- Collapse -
would you care to bet on that?

america is an english speaking country.
if you went to another country would they be forced to have your language listed press 1 for english press 2 for spanish etc.

you bet i do if you dont want to speak our language stay where your language is spoken

- Collapse -
So, in a custody dispute

you would award custody on the basis of language skill, all things being equal?

Dan

- Collapse -
dan what did the article sate?

and amigo this is america speak english do you dan?
can you read it?
go to mexico without knowing spanish is spanish a 2nd language?

- Collapse -
How about...

on the basis of how well or poorly they raise and help their children to interact with their environment?

- Collapse -
Child abusers and neglecters should...

be in jail and loose custody of their children any way.

CNET Forums

Forum Info