Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Josh...

by Charlie Thunell PL&T / February 16, 2004 8:34 AM PST

Unfortunately we don't have a search option in the "new" forum, thus I cannot find the questions that you asked me to answer regarding Israel. Please if you still have the link to them, post it. I will reply to them tonight! If I recall correctly they were three questions...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Josh...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Josh...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
NT - Does ANYONE have a link to it?
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / February 16, 2004 11:11 AM PST
In reply to: Josh...

`?

Collapse -
Re: Josh (link request)
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / February 16, 2004 12:17 PM PST

Sorry, Charlie -- I don't have a link. But here's what I do (sometimes with good results, sometimes not). I try to recall the name of the thread in which the message appeared and use my browser's search function to search for an unusual word in the thread title from the main forum screen; I'll go back a page or two and repeat. Hope this helps!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Thanks Dave...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / February 16, 2004 12:43 PM PST

Hi Dave,

Unfortunately I can't recall the name of the thread. I just know it was a thread with quit a few posts and that jonah made a statement like he would be happy to give $10 to the Palestinians if I replied, which is NOT the reason that I want to answer the questions...

Collapse -
His email addy...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / February 16, 2004 9:52 PM PST

Since I guess at least the moderators have his email address, could you please let him know about this?

Thanks

Collapse -
Re:Josh...
by Josh K / February 16, 2004 9:59 PM PST

I don't remember the original subject of the thread in which I last asked those questions either, but I've asked them so many times I've got them memorized:

1. What events led to and caused the 1967 war?
2. How did the 1973 war begin?
3. What happened on May 15, 1948? (the day after the UN established the State of Israel)

Collapse -
"The two-year war..." Part 1.
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / February 17, 2004 12:04 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Josh...

Hi Josh,

I am going to reply in chronological order, despite the fact that you have asked me in a non-chronological order and I hope that is ok:

?3. What happened on May 15, 1948? (the day after the UN established the State of Israel)? ? Josh Katz

It all goes back to the 1947 proposal which wasn?t the first land division scheme; the Peel Commission recommended a partition plan already in 1937.
The background of the May 1948 unilateral declaration by 33% of the population, imposing their will on 67% of the non-Israelis/Jews is as follows:
In November 1947 the UN made a recommendation for a three-way partition of Palestine into a Jewish State, an Arab State and a small internationally administered zone that would have included Jerusalem. This was a proposal by the UN General Assembly and General Assembly suggestions have no force. They are only recommendations. In fact Israel is the greatest rejecter of General Assembly resolutions by the way. When the proposal was made, war broke out between the Palestinians and the Israelis who had been planning on taking over and had cumulated much more arms. In May 1948, when the Israelis (33%) unilaterally declared "the state of Israel", 300,000 Palestinians had already been ethnically cleansed (forced from their homes or had fled the fighting) by the Israelis and the Israelis had ?stolen? a region well beyond the area of the original Israeli State that was proposed by the United Nations.

Collapse -
Re:What happened on May 15, 1948? (the day after the UN established the State of Israel)? ? Josh Katz
by jonah jones / February 17, 2004 1:32 AM PST

strange....

*i could have sworn there was an all out attempt to wipe out israel*

Collapse -
"The two-year war..." Part 2.
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / February 17, 2004 12:06 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Josh...

Then, after the Israelis had taken control of this much larger part of the region and hundreds of thousands of civilians had been forced out, Israel was attacked by its neighbors, Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon and Iraq. By the cease-fire on January 7, 1949, Israel had increased its original territory by 50%, taking western Galilee and part of Jerusalem.

? 1. What events led to and caused the 1967 war?? ? Josh Katz

In the Six-Day war in 1967 Israel attacked and took over the remaining part of Palestine with the intention of keeping it. All through the supposed "peace process" they have been illegally building on the occupied territories. Israel made a simultaneously air attack on Syrian, Jordanian and Egyptian air bases which lead to an increase of its territory by 200%. They took the Golan Heights, the West Bank of the Jordan river, Jerusalem?s Old city (one of the main places being discussed today!) and all of the Sinai and the east bank of the Suez Canal.

?2. How did the 1973 war begin?? ? Josh Katz

Israeli reluctance to even discuss the return of the occupied territories, lead to an Egyptian/Syrian attack on the Jewish Holy Day, Yom Kippur.

Hopefully this will put an end to the ?two-year war? between us. At least I am willing to extend a hand?

Collapse -
Charlie, if you're going to copy and paste, you should at least credit your sources
by Josh K / February 17, 2004 12:16 AM PST

"Your" version of what happened in 1948 was interesting, to say the least. To say more than the least would be to call it "fiction." But hey, at least you answered the question.

You did not, however, answer question 2. You (or whoever you copied your text from) described one version of what happened DURING and AFTER the six-day war but not what caused it.

I guess your answer to question 3 was about what I expected. Odd that you (and/or your source) didn't seem to find anything wrong with the idea of attacking Israel on the holiest day of the year, but I don't really want to go there with you.

Collapse -
Oh, and I wouldn't call this a "war"

It's just been two years of trying to get you to put your money where your mouth is.

Collapse -
And this quote?
by Roger NC / February 17, 2004 12:42 AM PST
"This will be a war of extermination and a momentous massacre which will
be spoken of like the
Mongolian massacres and the Crusades."
--Arab League Secretary General Azzam Pasha, May 15, 1948, the day
five Arab armies invaded the new state of Israel, one day after the
nation declared its
independence.

I'll grant most links found are pro Israel. There are dozens of links you can find by searching "This will be a war of extermination and a momentous massacre which will be spoken of like the Mongolian massacres and the Crusades."

Explanation?
Collapse -
Re:there is only one explanation Roger
by jonah jones / February 17, 2004 1:29 AM PST
In reply to: And this quote?

it was the intent of the arabs to exterminate israel and it's jewish population

Collapse -
(NT) Message has been deleted.
by jonah jones / February 17, 2004 1:31 AM PST
Collapse -
Re:*thinking*
by jonah jones / February 17, 2004 3:26 AM PST

how else do you 'salute' someone who supports murderers...

how else do you show your 'affection' for someone who thinks it's OK to blow up a bus when my kids are on their way to school...

how do you show how 'impressed' you are that someone loves a group of people who would shoot me just for that for the fact that i live where i do...

as you can see, no ?...

just *thinking*......

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?