Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

John and Roddy and AOL

Perhaps it is your provider causing the problem. I found what you wrote about attachments vs embedded very interesting. I have been checking it out with a few on my mailing list, which is made up of more non-AOL subscribers than AOL......the non-AOL do not have such a problem receiving my mail. Another of life's mysteries to be compared with the disappearance of the second sock in the dryer. Happy

Happy Thanksgiving to you both.

Miki
Dell Dimension 8250
Pentium 4 2.66 GHZ
Windows XP (SP1)
512 MB RDRAM
80 GB 7200 Ultra ATA
AOL/DSL Special 9.0 Optimized

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: John and Roddy and AOL
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: John and Roddy and AOL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Same to you Miki

In reply to: John and Roddy and AOL

Collapse -
Re: John and Roddy and AOL

Hi Miki,

Happy Thanksgiving to you also.

Err...it's not the AOL regular email or AOL email with attachments. And it is definitely not a ISP as a few years ago when there were free ISP's I had 7 ISP's at one time and the problem was still there with AOL.

The problem:

Say you an AOL user receiving a email from someone and then forwarded to a non AOL friend without a copy or paste or any type of remail, but just click the "Forward" button on your computer. Because you are on AOL and not sending to another AOL, the "FWD" comes in to the non AOL user as an email attachment which requires opening.

Are you explaining it right to others? It's the 'Forward' only stuff. I have not been able to get an answer from anyone why this has not been fixed by AOL and AOL will not explain.

Collapse -
Re: AOL

In reply to: Re: John and Roddy and AOL

You posted this on another thread:

"I have a large non-AOL mailing list. When good joke forwards are received, I copy/paste into a new E-mail and send."

Copy/paste will come in OK without being an 'attachment'. I've asked my sister-in-law to do that, but she just ignores. Happy

Collapse -

John -- just sent to a DSL Verizon address following:

"Larry -- I am doing a test. Does this forward come in to you as a separate attachment or is it embedded in this E-mail?"

John -- You are correct -- my friend just informed me it is a separate attachment. The pictures and other stuff I insert and send to non-AOL arrive as sent. I guess it is the forwards only that do not. I so seldom
send forwards because don't do forwards on jokes and send copy to and blind copy options whenever it is relevant for everything else.

Are we o.k. now? Happy

Miki

Collapse -

You are OK with me Miki and I'm sure you are with John too. LOL I have had the AOL discussion on and off for years with people and I never should have opened my mouth. I only did because I have always experienced the same problem as John. I'm glad you've got it figured out. I wish the rest of my friends that have AOL would send things the way that you do but they don't and I gave up trying to get them to do that 3 or 4 years ago. LOL Everybody has their own preferences. Grin

Collapse -
John and Roddy and AOL

Roddy -- I use blue comic sans font for E-mail. There was a time that these E-mails were not received as such by non-AOL. Now they are......

There was a time when I inserted a picture in an E-mail and it was received as an attachment by non-AOL. That was corrected about 3 years ago.

There is a negative attitude towards AOL by some (not referring to John or you here) who have either never used AOL or used it before AOL 5.0 or later. They are not aware of the advances. I caretake a few computers and still chose AOL/DSL for its good security features, not for their services. AOL uses my IE 6.0 browser and it is full not customized. After signing on to AOL, I often minimize and use external IE 6.0. That said, I have no problems with either AOL or its DSL. Unfortunately, connecting to AOL using AOL/DSL (through Verizon) is no longer available. It is now just for their customers like me who already had it.

Miki

Collapse -
No Mystery

It's no "mystery", michhala. Been there/done that, and I have no idea why anybody would chose AOL. Yes, it depends on the version of AOL. I had AOL 7 free for a year on a machine once when it was new, and couldn't wait for that year to end.
I no longer bother to send graphics and such to AOL users. My friends' AOL email scanners have been known to delete some of my embedded graphics that were sent because it classified them as "possible virus" without giving the user any options, of course. As far as AOL's "good security features" that is debatable, considering the recent Aluria situation. The TV commercial for AOL brags that the new antivirus will "scan your whole computer now" rather than just email. That should be interesting if a user has another realtime anti-virus running. As we know, AOL likes to update itself at bootup and logoff whether the user likes it or not. Computer users can find better security features elsewhere which will give them greater control over the individual software.

Collapse -
No Mystery

In reply to: No Mystery

I guess the good Lord blessed me then.....everything you mention re AOL is totally absent from my new and my old computers. I have a large mailing list. I am a dancer and my community is large. I send 150 E-mails at different holidays during the year with a hard-to-come-by vintage poster graphic inserted in the E-mail. I receive enough thank you's for the unusual graphic to know they arrived safe and sound. Never had a virus on my computer......perhaps you really did have one.

I have been with AOL since 1998 -- AOL has never updated my system at boot; it does the updates just after I signoff. It does not inconvenience me in the least, and they are so few and far between.

I do not use their virus scanner, but their popup blocker and spam filters are excellent. The security to which I referred is that with their DSL -- When I boot and am at Windows desktop, I am not connected to Internet until I log and sign on to AOL. That means I am not vulnerable when my computer is on if I am not signed on to AOL. I like the fact that AOL IP address changes each time I log off. Proof that there is no connection until I sign and log on to AOL is in the logs of the firewall.

Sorry you had such a bad experience and so much misery with AOL.....

Miki

Collapse -

Hi,

Just now getting back to read these comments. Yes, everything ok, just want to ditto what Roddy says.

Regards,
John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!