Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Job before Family

by Mac McMullen / September 4, 2005 1:17 PM PDT

Job before Family employment definitely is not for everyone.

Employment such as Police; Firemen; Medical; Public Works, among others, that are expected to react to emergencies, are fully expected to be present for work when called upon during an emergency. Even if their own family is in dire straights due to that same emergency, ie the situation in New Orleans, where, it appears, many "emergency personnel" abandoned their jobs ahead of the storm, or immediately following. Fully acknowledge that New Orleans is an extreme.

Military routinely are deployed away from home, many times on short notice, ....and the family has to make do without them.

We've seen numerous incidents where someone voluntarily signed on with the military, active, guard or reserve, and all was well .......until deployment time.

We've seen Forest Service personnel called upon to fight wild fires, whose homes were at risk ahead of the fire, ....and had to leave the family to fend, and report for work. I have a friend who is a Deputy Sheriff, was called out during a wild fire, and before it was over lost his home and some live stock. Family
'literally' escaped.

We've seen Public Works personnnel called out during blizzards or floods, when their own homes either were, or might become involved ....and had to leave the family to fend.

Medical personnel called to work during emergencies, ....at a time when the family needed them at home.

Fire and Police personnel called out, ....leaving the family at home, even if going to work might impact the family.

And, on and on.

If a person, or that person's family, cannot accept that the "job comes before family", that person should not willingly enter into that employment field.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Job before Family
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Job before Family
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Be careful, Mac...
by J. Vega / September 4, 2005 1:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Job before Family

Be careful, Mac, Senator Mary Landrieu might give you a wack in the chops.

Collapse -
But for how long Mac?
by Roger NC / September 5, 2005 7:38 AM PDT

Can we expect them to go for days without relief, seeing more and more disaster and bad news every hour all around them, and not expect them to eventually take to to check?

I understand your point, largely agree with the basic idea, and have seen many live up the standard also.

But I think after a certain about of time and stress, many who intended to do their jobs well will start to give.

And honestly, after some point of passing time, a man (or woman) who hasn't began to worry about their family to the point they can't do their job well would disturb me too.

Many have compared the NOLA police and fire to the NYC counterparts after the Towers collapsed. While the dust, gases, smoke, and fumes spread, after the first 24 hours, everyone pretty much knew if their homes and family were affected or not. At least all those with no family working in the Towers immediately adjacent blocks. So that comparison isn't totally fair IMO.

Roger NC

Collapse -
How long
by marinetbryant / September 5, 2005 8:12 AM PDT
In reply to: But for how long Mac?

No one is ever fully prepared for such devastation. There are reports several police officers have committed suicide. Even combat soldiers break. From personal experience its like being in a Salvadore Dali painting. Ease up.

Collapse -
Yes.....
by John Robie / September 5, 2005 8:17 AM PDT

and I made a small comment this morning concerning this:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6130-0.html?forumID=50&threadID=123852&messageID=1403448&tag=

Another thing....someone try to convince me that the cops didn't check on their house while on duty if they could get to it with their patrol car right after the passing of the hurricane & flood. Course the intelligent cops had their family already evacuated.

JR
I have relatives in Law Enforcement who have been in Hurricanes/floods.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?