General discussion

JMStudio

I just got a new Java program on my computer from Sun Microsystems called JMStudio. It appeared about the same time I set up access to my new "Unified Messaging" voicemail from AT&T. After looking at it, I couldn't figure out what it is for, what I needed for or what to do with it. When I contacted AT&T about it I was told it's not from them and not related to my new voice mailbox. Consequently, I Googled it and found that it has something to do with audio and viodeo programs, but I don't write any programs. So, I would appreciate it if someone could tell me if I need this program and, if so, what for?

In case it matter, I am running Vista 64bit on an HP Pavilion Model a6554f. I don't know about the sound card, etc.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: JMStudio
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: JMStudio
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I'm stumped.

I have Vista as well and I thought at first that JMStudio was just another form of Sun Java package which most systems seem to have and need, even if we don't specifically know why.

But I don't have JMStudio on my system, and like you I searched Google and can find nothing really definite about it. Can you tell us more?

You say you just got this program on your computer. How did you find it, and where are the files located? Any clues in the program's folders?

Since AT&T say this is not part of their software it is possible that was just a coincidence,and that this is a component of some sort downloaded as part of something else, eg a browser plugin or some other software. Maybe you downloaded a new media player or something? Any other changes to your system for the date this JMStudio's folder appeared?

Mark

- Collapse -
JMStudio

I opened the Programs folder in my Control Panel and found it listed there as Java Media Framework 2.1.1e. When I Googled that I found a lot of links, including one at CNET, which rates the program 5 stars. Apparently it's published by Oracle. This is what I found at CNET DOWNLOAD.com, (Home Windows Software Utilities & Operating Systems Other Java Media Framework

"Publisher's description
From Oracle:
The Java Media Framework API (JMF) package, which can capture, playback, stream, and transcode multiple media formats, extends the Java 2 Platform, Standard Edition (J2SE) for multimedia developers by providing a powerful toolkit to develop scalable, cross-platform technology."

So, now I am wondering if I use it to play videos that are written in this program...and I have no idea what those may be. It appears to be some kind of player, like Windows Media Player and Apple's Quicktime Player. But, I didn't get it with anything else that day...other then the AT&T Unified Messaging, which gives me access to my voice mailbox over the internet from any location.

The only thing that makes any sense is it's from AT&T. It must be what allows me to hear the audio messages online. But, when I spoke to someone at their Unified Message center...this messaging service is new and won't be replacing my current voice mailbox 'til later this month...she didn't seem to know anything about any software. However, what I do know for sure is that I did not intentionally and knowingly download this program. And, since the only setup I did on that day was the online access to my AT&T Unified Messaging, it must have come during that process. Still, I would like to know for sure, as well as confirm what it's for, what programs use it, etc. (Companies should inform their customers if and what they may be downloading if they are setting up some kind of online service...OR, if nothing extra is being downloaded/installed.)

- Collapse -
Seems like something you need to have ...

if you have a media player program written in Java that uses it. If you uninstall it, that particular program won't work anymore. Most like it came with something you installed, because surely you don't write such programs yourself, so you don't have any reason to download it.

If I were you I shouldn't care.

Kees

- Collapse -
My search says it's a capturing sofeware.

You have a TV tuner on that computer, if so, that's what it is for (to capture tv programs).

CNET Forums

Forum Info