Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Jim Bunning led the league in hit batsmen for 4 years.

by Ziks511 / March 3, 2010 1:14 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Jim Bunning led the league in hit batsmen for 4 years.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Jim Bunning led the league in hit batsmen for 4 years.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
He's a real piece of work
by Josh K / March 3, 2010 10:41 PM PST

The Daily Show ripped him good on two occasions this week. In the middle of his filibuster he started trying to elicit sympathy for himself by telling everyone how he was missing a basketball game he had really wanted to watch.

So while millions of people are losing their unemployment benefits, he's whining about something he can fix by getting a DVR/TiVO.

Collapse -
But he did have a point..
by EdHannigan / March 3, 2010 10:45 PM PST

Congress should pay for the things they mandate.

Collapse -
A simple lesson in economy.
by Kees Bakker / March 3, 2010 10:50 PM PST

- Congress mandates.
- Taxpayers pay.

And a simple lesson in politics:
- Taxpayers vote for congress to ensure they only pay for things they want to pay for.

That's called democracy, like in the USA and here in the Netherlands. If you happen to have a dictatorial regime the rules are a little bit different:
- Dictator mandates
- Taxpayers pay
- Taxpayers are not allowed to vote for a dictator.

Kees

Kees

Collapse -
(NT) I don't think you understand the issue.
by EdHannigan / March 3, 2010 11:02 PM PST
Collapse -
Jim Bunning's Finest Hour
by EdHannigan / March 3, 2010 11:13 PM PST

I don't necessarily think he picked the best battle, but he DOES have a good point.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704548604575097632988425818.html?mod=rss_Today%27s_Most_Popular

Mr. Bunning is merely asking the Senate to live by the rules that President Obama said it should when he signed an executive order requiring "pay-as-you-go" budgeting. "Now, Congress will have to pay for what it spends, just like everybody else," he said, only three weeks ago. But instead of backing Mr. Bunning's stand that new spending must be "paid for," the White House is attacking him.

The real story here is that Mr. Bunning is exposing pay-go as a fraud. When Mr. Obama and Democrats want to spend money on their priorities, they waive the rule by declaring an emergency. They only enforce pay-go to block tax cuts. The Senate will soon follow with another $85 billion spending bill, and rest assured that too will violate pay-go rules.

Collapse -
Since he voted time and time again for unfunded programs
by Ziks511 / March 4, 2010 12:51 PM PST

like both Bush Tax Cuts, the War, and stacks of other programs too many to list here but available on Liberal web-sites, I'd say he got "religion" much too late, but conveniently timed to leave a legacy of pseudo-budgetary caution.

The largest increases in National Debt occurred under Reagan, Bush Sr. and Bush Junior. According to the CBO, the deficit under Obama will not increase, but may show a slight surplus, which might pay down a little of the Bush Debt.

For those who don't "habla", a deficit is what you have at the end of the year when you total up Incoming versus Outgoing money and you come up short. If it hangs over until next year it becomes a debt which we all carry for as long as it takes. Recently the only Party putting up a surplus at the end of the year to reduce that debt is the Democratic Party, first under Clinton, and now, just possibly under Obama.

The difference between Republicans and Democrats doesn't come on the spending side, although the Republicans sign up for Trillions of dollars of that. The difference is that the Republican's Cut Taxes and Spend regardless of the consequences. The Democrats, constantly saddled with Republican Debt, Cut programs, shift things around, maybe return those taxes to the level where they were cut before and try to concuct themselves in a fiscally responsible manner.

Rhere's no such thing a s tax and spend Democrat. but a Cut-Tax and spend Republican is Standard Operating Procedure.

Rob

Collapse -
Canadians...
by EdHannigan / March 5, 2010 11:02 AM PST
In reply to: Try some reality

know less about American politics than the Dutch.

Collapse -
Canadians know less about American politics
by JP Bill / March 8, 2010 2:06 AM PST
In reply to: Canadians...

Than the Dutch.

Rob says The largest increases in National Debt occurred under Reagan, Bush Sr. and Bush Junior.

National debt by U.S. presidential terms

But Rob knows more about American Presidents than some Americans are willing to admit?

Collapse -
You try some reality
by Diana Forum moderator / March 8, 2010 12:40 AM PST
In reply to: Try some reality

Unfortunately, democrats are tax and spend; republicans are just spend.

Diana

Collapse -
It's really a shame
by Mike_Hanks / March 8, 2010 1:35 AM PST
In reply to: You try some reality
Collapse -
I see.....
by Josh K / March 8, 2010 2:17 AM PST
In reply to: It's really a shame

....deficits throughout the Reagan, Bush I and Bush II administrations and a surplus during the Clinton Administration.

Are those the red lines you're referring to?

Collapse -
You see?
by Mike_Hanks / March 8, 2010 3:09 AM PST
In reply to: I see.....

Can you tell the difference between the red and the blue?

Collapse -
Yes. And the blue are still deficits
by Josh K / March 8, 2010 6:35 AM PST
In reply to: You see?

The GREEN are surpluses. Look when those were.

Collapse -
Looking at the past!
by EdHannigan / March 8, 2010 6:46 AM PST

The alleged Clinton surplus is not the point. The HUGE uprecedented Obama deficits are.

We have addressed the Clinotn illusion in the past. Look to the future.

Collapse -
The illusion of the Clinto Surpluses
by Mike_Hanks / March 8, 2010 6:58 AM PST
In reply to: Looking at the past!

Heck, at this point I will grant that there was a gazillion-billion-giga million dollar surplus.
That would have NOTHING to do with the current DEFICIT.

Collapse -
The green are surpluses.
by Mike_Hanks / March 8, 2010 6:56 AM PST

YIPPEE SKIP !!!!!!!!
I'm glad YOU like to be overtaxed.
Aside from that, since there are numerous federal programs that are in debt to the tune of trillions of dollars, there can never be a surplus.

Again, you don't see a difference between the former deficits and the current one?

Collapse -
I'm glad YOU like to be overtaxed.
by JP Bill / March 8, 2010 7:00 AM PST

I'm glad YOU like to pass you bills on to your children.

I feel sorry for your children.

Again, you don't see a difference between the former deficits and the current one?

And you don't see how the past affects the present?

Collapse -
He would have a point if he had voted for Pay as you Go,
by Ziks511 / March 8, 2010 3:50 AM PST

or against any previously unfunded legislation previously. Apparently this is his first venture into good sense.

Rob

Collapse -
It's the law thet Democrats passed/
by Mike_Hanks / March 8, 2010 6:53 AM PST
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100304/pl_nm/us_usa_congress_elderly

At least 10 Democrats agreed with ........... to defeat the proposal.

Why isn't this being given the same media attention as the Bunning episode?
Collapse -
Bunning: Leader in hit batsmen;
by drpruner / March 8, 2010 7:09 AM PST

no-hitter in each league;

first pitcher subject to SE locked thread. Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!